• Tired

Thread: Using well water for Koi

jasagis is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Using well water for Koi

Hello,

I am looking for options to use my well water instead of city water. The city water is getting to be way to expensive. I am in South Florida and my well is an irrigation well anywhere from 25-40 foot deep (not sure exactly). The water comes out fairly clear and has a slight hydrogen sulfide smell, but nothing to bad. I took the water to our local sprinkler place to test the ferrous iron (they test there because they recommend how much of the sprinkler liquid treatment to use to eliminate staining) and it wasn’t to bad. Sorry, It was a while back and I forget the exact reading. I found and old thread on here that talked about building a degassing tower using plastic forks that feeds to a lava rock TT by user names Griff. He said the iron attaches to the lava rock as it passes over. This morning I tested the PH of the well water immediately and it was 7.4. I then aerated the water for an hour and it raised to 8.2(this is the normal PH of my pond in the afternoon and also my city water. The KH of the well water is about 200ppm. Down here the well water passes through lots of limestone. Tests also showed no ammonia and no nitrates. I have a 400 gallon holding tank that I was thinking to use to pump well water into and then aerate and treat the water before using. I’m looking for the best options as to how to treat. I quickly put together a tower with the plastic forks and some lava rock today to give it a try. I will need a way to test the iron level after this tower. Also wondered about EDTA to chelate metals? Also wondered about using PP to oxidize the iron. I was also thinking to run the water through a carbon block before it goes into the pond after the other treatments. Thanks in advance for any help!!
      Last edited by jasagis; 09-23-2018 at 06:17 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

kingkong is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Every water source is unique. I am south of you with great water from well.... Redlands. You are going to just start testing or join a local club and start asking questions.

Dave 01 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm north of you and also have great well water

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

One of the best ways to test your well water is with a small pond or tank and a few canary fish. If they grow and thrive - all's good. Belly up - start looking for a contaminate.

I guess I'll get a few comments for this one.
      Nancy

triskeleefarm is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Buy an RO/DI set up for well water. I have a lot of Iron in mine in Oregon (its 400 feet deep) but other than the iron, its really good water. I still run it through RO/DI the amount of sediment and iron it takes out is amazing

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007