• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaned my rdf today

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Cleaned my rdf today

I had 2 options muriatic acid ughh or peroxide. Since it seemed mostly string algae I figured peroxide is fine. I used .3% because that's what I had. Kept the rdf spinning and applied with a paint brush and let rotate for 10 minutes. Before and after.
      Attached Images Attached Images   

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

The rdf was cycling every 13 minutes and was getting worse. After cleaning it and cutting food for koi show it hasn't cycled in 45 minutes. Took 10 minutes to clean after 6 months. Only thing I've done at all to my pond
      Last edited by kevin32; 09-18-2018 at 10:48 PM.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

I would use .6 peroxide next time
      Last edited by kevin32; 09-18-2018 at 10:46 PM.

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Looks Good! I guess after you cleaned the control box with water the other day you may as well do the drum also

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by tbullard View Post
      Looks Good! I guess after you cleaned the control box with water the other day you may as well do the drum also
      Drum roll. That is why I was manual cycling it 10 times. Rdf was cycling Every 13 minutes and knew the screen needed cleaned lol. Stupid me though and should have cleaned the screen 2 weeks ago.

mplskoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What brand of RDF is that? I would be a little disappointed if I needed to clean the screen. I thought that was what the spray bar is for.

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by mplskoi View Post
      What brand of RDF is that? I would be a little disappointed if I needed to clean the screen. I thought that was what the spray bar is for.
      This is a profi but that doesn't matter. Everybody will have different conditions but if you have hard water you may have mineral buildup on the screen that needs to be removed. You can also get a bio film on the screen that needs to be removed. Fairly standard for any brand RDF or even Sieve filters. This deep cleaning probably only needs to happen once a year for most users. The spraybar is just to remove the regular debris from the screen. What your seeing in Kevin's first pic is the everything the RDF catches on a regular bases its not buildup just what hasn't been cycled to the waste tray yet.

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

While bio film would trap smaller items it will increase cycle time and increase water consumption. Regular cleaning as Tbullard notes is needed to maintain the balance. I am using a low micron sieve screen that I should be dipping in bleach monthly to kill the bio on it, but the RDF is less frequent. I will hit the screen with the hose on high pressure occasionally to help knock things out more, but plan a clean out annually. Sometime in late Oct or early Nov when I hit the first year mark I will drain the reservoir and spray it clean. I will then pivot the drive motor out to free spin the Dracodrum and heavily spray the screen with bleach. While it sits, I will slide the media area out from the front of the unit and clean out any build up in there. Once that is all put back in I will respray the drum with bleach and wipe it down a little with a cloth before spraying it clean and draining out the rinse water from the reservoir. It will take a bit of time but hopefully help find that balance.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

stevek is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      While bio film would trap smaller items it will increase cycle time and increase water consumption. Regular cleaning as Tbullard notes is needed to maintain the balance. I am using a low micron sieve screen that I should be dipping in bleach monthly to kill the bio on it, but the RDF is less frequent. I will hit the screen with the hose on high pressure occasionally to help knock things out more, but plan a clean out annually. Sometime in late Oct or early Nov when I hit the first year mark I will drain the reservoir and spray it clean. I will then pivot the drive motor out to free spin the Dracodrum and heavily spray the screen with bleach. While it sits, I will slide the media area out from the front of the unit and clean out any build up in there. Once that is all put back in I will respray the drum with bleach and wipe it down a little with a cloth before spraying it clean and draining out the rinse water from the reservoir. It will take a bit of time but hopefully help find that balance.
      Jim- straight bleach, or a solution ( 1:2, 1:4 ) ?

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

I use concentrated gallons around here and dilute it a bit but never a specific amount.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

IAmHolland is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Last edited by IAmHolland; 09-20-2018 at 12:37 AM.

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I thought Profile recommends hydrochloric acid (pool acid).

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Looking inside the dirty drum there appears to be a dirt pattern created by the nozzles not delivering the water equally across the

surface area.

The fan shapes not overlapping each other or may be partially blocked jets.

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

The first pic was after cycling the rdf 3 times manually. The stingish algae was caught in between the screen and white laterals. I used the peroxide just to help break it loose. Then I blasted the top of the screen with a garden hose nozzle. Did a little but not much. I then took the nozzle to the inside of the drum screen and sprayed it all to one side. I then blast over the top of the screen until it was gone. Took maybe 15 minutes to do. 15 minutes every 6 months is fine with me

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Here it is today when I got home. The fish stir up alot of algae when they get excited. You can see it all suspended and heading to the drum.

Im just using the clean side of the drum to the booster pump and have the kit to change it to my tap water that has chlorine and chloramine in it. This will help keep the biofilm from building up. I don't use a uv at all so I kinda expected it to build up some junk over time. My zakki sieve did the same thing. Biofilm and algae tends to stick after a while. I cleaned my zakki with bleach but didnt want to do that in the rdf and the peroxide was safer and worked fine. Next time I may need to do a better cleaning and will use acid.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Opps here is the pic.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

It is easy to make assumptions etc. I've used blue eco for the same amount of time as the profidrum now. The profidrum definitely lifts debris out much better with the laterals it has. This lifts the algae and poo to the spray nozzles and the waste tray. Some debris got caught in between the screen and laterals which is shown in pics. I was do for a cleaning that's all. I'll do this more often when needed in summertime and 105 degree days lol. Was a hot one this year and no uv.

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Compare the blue eco rdf and might go longer without cleaning. But it doesn't do as good as job as the profidrum period. Used blue eco goes for $800 now, what a joke to the hobby.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      Compare the blue eco rdf and might go longer without cleaning. But it doesn't do as good as job as the profidrum period. Used blue eco goes for $800 now, what a joke to the hobby.
      Might be a joke to the hobby but put a motor on that used BE and you've got a reliable RDF at a fraction of the price.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Ah maybe. For $800 it is worth as is.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast