• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: My favorite koi is sick! HELP PLEASE!

kmart14 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My favorite koi is sick! HELP PLEASE!

Hello,

Let me start off by saying I'm new here, and new to koi care. I purchased a home that had an established koi 1200gal pond with 13 koi ranging from 5"-16". I've been taking care of the pond since November of last year.

It's been quite the learning curve. We've had a few mishaps and learning lessons along the way. About 2 months ago I was out of town and my girlfriend left the hose on overnight while topping off. Unfortunately, one of our largest koi died the next day.

Two weeks later, I left the valve slightly open in the filter after back fishing, drained 60% of the pond overnight. I refilled the pond and added dechlorinator.

All was well for another two weeks, but I did notice my favorite koi was "acting different" maybe a little more sluggish, but nothing major just different.

The next week, I completely cleaned the filter, because I was.getting more particulate than usual and it didn't get cleaned after spawning this summer.

Two days later the koi that was acting strange is now sitting at the bottom, isolated, and not eating. I watched him closley the next couple days. He started clamping so I decided to take action. I tested the water:
      Amonia -.5
      Nitrite - 0
      Nitrate - 40
      pH - 6.8

I thought that's probably not too unusual after cleaning the filter. So I put some beneficial bacteria in to help with the amonia break down. I also salt treated the pond, which I have never done before. My next tests showed drastic improvemts in water quality:
      Amonia - 0
      Nitrite - 0
      Nitrate - 20
      PH - 6.8

It's now been 5 days since he stopped eating. He has slowly showed improvments, but still has not ate. He no longer seems to be clamping he is swimming around more, but still isolated and now has moved up towards the top of the pond. He is not gasping for air at the at the surface just sitting near the top. His mouth and gills are moving constantly. He is starting to lose color, I'm assuming from malnourishment.

I don't really know what else to do at this point. I've considered three possibilities.
      #1) a parasite of some kind. I don't have the capability of doing scale tests. Thinking of treating the pond with broad spectrum. Thoughts?

#2) He has permanent Gill damage from the chlorine that was put into the system by the over filling that night. However, no visible Gill burns. Considering installing an airration system, which I want to do any way, but might make that a priority now.

#3) Is he stressed from the environment changes and is treating the pond making it worse?

SIDE NOTE:
      The previous owners put copeous amounts of chemicals in every week. I've weened the pond off all the chemicals slowly. My water quality has had many fluctuations in that process, but has never been better than now. I've got a nice furry algae coat, and overall the system seems to be doing very well.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

graybird is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Where in California are you, and what is your water temp? I would definitely add aeration right away, and do water changes at least twice a week with dechlor (which product are you using?) and wait a few days. It should not be a big deal for the koi not to eat, and that will not cause it to lose color.

It's a safe bet that the koi in question has gill damage and extra air will help it.
      Mary

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Welcome to Koiphen, although I'm sorry your first post is for a health concern.
      A picture of the pond and fish will help others offer suggestions... personally I think
      if more air was on your shopping list before, like you said, I'd make it a priority.
      It's the least invasive and often times can be a big help.

If you need to order the broad spectrum treatment online, I'd do it now too. Even
      if you don't end up using it, it's good to have on hand. I've used this many times and
      it's worked well:

https://www.amazon.com/Eco-Labs-BSDT...ease+treatment

And any color loss is not from lack of nourishment... they can go months without eating and
      still be fine. But the lack of any appetite this time of year is a sign he's not feeling well.
      Keep the filters as clean as possible and do regular water changes... and if you need help posting
      pictures there's a tutorial here:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...tures-Tutorial
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Am not in any way shape or form trained to be giving advice here but I do have to mention this, once gill damage occurs by chlorine is irreversible and you mentioned of two events, there's plenty of trained folks here that will help just please follow their advice, sorry that your favorite one is not feeling well hope things turn around.

ademink is offline Senior Member~~Moderator
      is still doing this pond thing.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm curious what the research is backing the claim that damage is irreversible...?
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by ademink View Post
      I'm curious what the research is backing the claim that damage is irreversible...?
      Saw you're question this morning but was running a little behind to work, there are 3 areas in the gills that are called, Teleosts, filaments and the capillaries, the capillaries are located on the filaments the teleosts is the layer that protects the filaments when the chlorine burns the protective layer (teleosts) it damages the capillaries and once that happens the gills have suffered permanent damage, now do all koi that have their gills damaged die? I believe it depends on the severity of the gill burn. Am not going to speculate on what percentage of the gills would have to be damaged for the koi to survive because that would be a guess on my part but I can share this two years ago I had a similar incident and a friend of mine (vet) we discussed the incident and she told to add prime and cross my fingers because the damage that the chlorine had cause to the capillaries was permanent.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by graybird View Post
      Where in California are you, and what is your water temp? I would definitely add aeration right away, and do water changes at least twice a week with dechlor (which product are you using?) and wait a few days. It should not be a big deal for the koi not to eat, and that will not cause it to lose color.

It's a safe bet that the koi in question has gill damage and extra air will help it.
      I am in the Sacramento area. My water temp stays around 68 degrees. Using detoxMAX for dechlorinator. I,ve been concerned about making any changes, and adding stress on the fish, but I'll.do a water change today.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Welcome to Koiphen, although I'm sorry your first post is for a health concern.
      A picture of the pond and fish will help others offer suggestions... personally I think
      if more air was on your shopping list before, like you said, I'd make it a priority.
      It's the least invasive and often times can be a big help.

If you need to order the broad spectrum treatment online, I'd do it now too. Even
      if you don't end up using it, it's good to have on hand. I've used this many times and
      it's worked well:

https://www.amazon.com/Eco-Labs-BSDT...ease+treatment

And any color loss is not from lack of nourishment... they can go months without eating and
      still be fine. But the lack of any appetite this time of year is a sign he's not feeling well.
      Keep the filters as clean as possible and do regular water changes... and if you need help posting
      pictures there's a tutorial here:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...tures-Tutorial
      I'll try and take some photos today. I'm actually a photographer by trade, but his physical appearance symptoms are so slight I don't think a photo will show much, but I'll definitely look at the tutorial and do my best. I appreciate all the feedback!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

UPDATE: my sick koi, his name is ConeZone by the way, because he is bright solid orange, he is showing improvements. Still not eating, but he is starting to rejoin the group. His swimming has become less eratic. He has stopped clamping almost entirely, and actually seems to be getting his color back. Working on taking photos now. Also going to work on that aeration system. Thanks everyone; I'll post photos and updates later. Thanks again for your time!

DarkStar is offline Supporting Member
      is Comfortably Numb

Feeling:
      ----

Welcome to the forum and best wishes with ConeZone! I'm so glad he's showing signs of improvement. We'd love to see photos. Most definitely get the aeration system in place; good aeration is a must even when they're not sick and the warmer the water the less oxygen the water holds.

Even though he's improving, continue to follow all of the above advice; you don't want to risk any setbacks.

Again, welcome, and best of luck!
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

UPDATE: ConeZone has recovered! He is swimming like a champ, hanging out with his friends, and the first one up to the surface to eat. Thank you all for the advice and support!

Name:  IMG_20180919_182058267.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  135.1 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007