• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: What a difference an RDF makes!

danbo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What a difference an RDF makes!

A post recording the benefits of fitting an RDF. I posted previously about my installation. This is the story 15 months later.

End of August just gone, I did my first filter clean after 15 months. I installed a Draco RDF upstream of the main filter in May 2017. (I think the first RDF in Thailand). Big filter clean (all bays - a total wash out) at the time. Main filter is 'traditional' with three large bays with brushes, SS screens Jap matting and more Jap matting. August 2018 I opened the filter & had a look after 15months. All looked pretty clean. Before RDF I was cleaning the whole filter system every 3-4 months, now 15 months and only the first bay (brushes etc) really needed cleaning. Amazing. Dumped water from filter and pond and added two truck loads (24m3) of well water. Photos show some of the filter. All before cleaning. My water return to the pond is via 2 pumps, first basically direct to 12 TPRs at the pond and the second pump to two rivers (25 and 15m). Rivers end up in a 'collector pool' before flowing into the pond. Lots of plant life in these rivers makes for a pretty natural filtration environment I feel. I never see green water and have yet to detect Nitrates or Nitrites. Although I have the test kits, I pretty much never test apart for pH. I have a pretty constant dribble in feed of about 1.5m3 per day into the first small bay of the filter....I guess making up for small leaks in the rivers.

Name:  20180821_101325.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  262.5 KB

Pic of first filter bay. Brushes and netting. Basically 'solids capture'. At left hand side 5 progressively finer SS screens for additional solids capture. Brushes looking pretty clean after 15 months. Although after about 3 years they are pretty worn out with some of the brushes coming detached.

Name:  20180821_122050.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  324.1 KB

2nd pic, overall view of the filtration area. Water inlet at first small bay at back right. Flows through bay 1 to 2 then 3. Bay 3 is more Jap matting circa 0.5m 'thick'. Maid in the background helping with brush cleaning. Second bay of 9 vertical Jap matting looked pretty clean so I left this undisturbed.

Name:  20180824_104643.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  333.8 KB

3rd pic, Draco RDF way in the back. Gravity fed from two bottom drains. From the RDF, clean water flows via 4" pipe to the 'main filter' system seen in previous pics. In foreground the 'collector pool' with water flowing from 25m river on RHS. Collector pool is about 12-18" deep. Another circa 15m river flows in at the back LHS. Water flows under the bamboo bridge into the pond. Never really need to test for Nitrate as so much healthy plant life in the rivers. Rivers filled with various small fish, guppys, mollies and similar. Plus a load of frogs & other wildlife. Cat thinking about the big jump to safety.

Dan

danbo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The rivers are just rock/concrete sealed with liner beneath build in the garden. Fed from one pump exit the filter & flows back to the pond. I call them rivers, but really small streams...Pic is a bit of one of the 'rivers'. Sorry the pics get posted 'sideways'....
      Name:  20170302_154133.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  374.1 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by danbo; 1 Week Ago at 01:28 PM.

kevin32 is offline Supporting Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Very nice setup. The rdf make maintenance so low and i would never have a pond without one again. I do need to clean my screen today though.

LoriP is online now Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Such a beautiful setting. Very lovely result

vipertom1970 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

LOl, people almost lit me on fire 5 years ago when I promoted RDF and how great it was.

kevin32 is offline Supporting Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by vipertom1970 View Post
      LOl, people almost lit me on fire 5 years ago when I promoted RDF and how great it was.
      And you survived haha

velvetbone is online now Supporting Member
      is Still Learning

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by vipertom1970 View Post
      You were very influential and a positive force behind our pond and filter decision!! Thanks TOM!!
      Hope all is well.
      D&V

KoiRun is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Very cool.
      Koi pics please...
      Last edited by KoiRun; 22 Minutes Ago at 02:52 AM.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin