• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Low-Profile Shower Filter

kevin32 is offline Inactivated
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

Ok so I was wrong on the number. It is using 151 watts at 1240 rpm. I'll hook up my kill a watt and pretty sure it was reading 128

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

catfish whiskers is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC President
      is Looking forward to a better
      year

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Penn View Post
      The only crashing, smashing, hair pulling that happens in these multi-stack trays is at the very top under the spraybar and maybe at the top of each media stack if the trays are separated enough. everywhere else in the media pack the water is gracefully flowing around or through the perforated basket.
      Hair pulling ?, is that an extra cost option ?

Slapshot is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by aquaholic View Post
      There is another option you may want to consider. A slow fill and fast purge system similar to the grow bed aquaponics. This allows low powered pumps or low flow pumps to gradually fill a bio filter tank until it reaches the fill point which then creates a rapid siphon flush out.

Advantages;
      * rising water within bio media pushes all old air out so fresh oxygen rich air is guaranteed.
      * total use of all bio media surface area even if channelling or tightly packed bio media is utilised.
      * the periodic fast flush /drain creates a surge (wave tank) allowing use of bottom drains with very low water flows.
      * the bio media gets cleaned each flush
      * excellent recovery rate after power failures.

Cons;
      * can be noisy.
      * a water filled filter is heavy.
      I’ve had great success with DC pumps. We’ve been running them in the saltwater world for awhile. They are energy efficient, controllable and push a ton of head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I suspect that the FF pumps are DC, but no proof.
      Last edited by kimini; 10-15-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Kumonryu is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Any updates on this project? I am planning on re-doing my filtration next season and this thread has given me a lot of ideas for re-doing my shower setup.

If you have a chance to post some pictures of the distribution plates or a video of the shower in action, that would be awesome!

Thanks for sharing.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm at this stage
      - New RDF due to arrive this week
      - When it arrives, temporarily reroute pipes around the existing RDF, straight from the bottom drains to the moving bed (MB)
      - Remove said RDF
      - Pour concrete pad for new RDF
      - Allow to cure for several days
      - Place new RDF
      - Connect new RDF output to existing MB and inlet to bottom drains
      - Run system a while to remove debris introduced while running without RDF
      - Re-plumb again to route moving bed / pump outlet to new shower (to seed shower with bio)
      - Let it run for a month or two. During this time, expect to fiddle with the flow distribution plates to ensure even flow to the media.
      - Do final re-plumb to route RDF output directly to pump
      - Connect pump directly to shower
      - Remove MB filter

So yeah, things are moving along, slowly. A video will be posted once it's up and running

Jonathan1982 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Keep us posted as many are interested to find out if the "low profile" shower's effectiveness vs. the tiered system.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've already been told that I'm not running proper flow, but since the shower isn't running yet, I guess that's true! Does anyone even know what "proper flow" is for a shower? The only thing I ever see is "more is better", which isn't an answer. I plan to run 8-10,000 gph and will see how things go. If it works well, the plan is to decrease flow (and lower power usage) and watch at what point the water chemistry starts to turn negative, then stay above that point.

If works well, I'm also informed that I'll hear:
      The problem I have is somebody building a low-profile shower filter and then saying they're disproving the benefits or a traditionally stacked trays shower filter.
      So if it works worse, it's obviously because it's not a traditional shower. If it works great, I'm not allowed to compare it to a tall shower. Okay, we'll leave the conclusions to potential users.

Again, none of this matters for those of you with low power costs, but for me it's a challenge to see how little power can be used while still getting the benefits of a shower.
      Last edited by kimini; 10-02-2018 at 10:31 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The RDF was bypassed, feeding bottom drain water directly to the MB filter. Removal of the RDF, pouring the concrete pad, and installation of the Profi took three days. After the Profi was brought online, I found handfuls of hair algae with media stuck within them in the MB filter, the consequence of feeding it unfiltered pond water. It'll be drained to see what is stuck to the outlet screen - probably quite a bit.

The plan is to let the Profi clean out the accumulated detritus this week, then plumb the MB output into the shower. This puts two bio filters in series, the well seasoned one first, and the new one second. The idea is that bio material let loose in the MB will seed the shower filter, while at the same time, continuing to keep the pond clean. It'll probably take a month or two, then the MB filter will be bypassed and the pump moved to the outlet of the Profi. It'll be fun to see how it all plays out.

The end result will be an IBC MB filter sitting unused, and I'm not sure what to do with it. At first it'll be kept around as a backup in case anything goes nuts with the new setup, but after that, who knows.
      Last edited by kimini; 10-15-2018 at 02:00 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The shower was temporarily connected to the output of the moving-bed filter, so now the waiting begins for the biofilm to take root. In the meantime, the water distribution plates will be figured out using one test piece, then copied over to an aluminum or steel pattern and replicated 12 times, deburred, then either zip-tied to the distribution pipes, or having short stub pipes welded to them to make them easier to add and remove. The pictures shows about 10,000 gph flow, admittedly a guess based upon pump rpm and a dynamic head of approximately 0.6 meter. Zac said that based upon his tests, 12 columns of this media can handle about 42,000 gph (yes, really), but it'll be nowhere near that due to using only two 4" bottom drains, and the desire to keep power consumption at a minimum.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by kimini; 10-15-2018 at 10:59 AM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

You know how much of a knit-picker I am so take this with a grain of salt...
      You would a little bit more even distribution if you wouldn't have cut the sockets off of the TEES You can see the first set of openings have a little more flow but nothing crazy. You may want to test your distribution plates on the middle openings to get an average of the flow rate between the first and third openings.
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-294-2231
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Understood, but I may weld stubs to the plates anyway so they can sit as high as desired.

GloriaL is offline Supporting Member
      is YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life
      time Diamond Member

Feeling:
      ----

If you have any seasoned mediaput some on top of your rio media. Make sure there is food(ammonia) for the bacteria.
      GloriaL
      YADA YADA YADA YADA WWKC Life time Diamond Member # 10

kwickcut is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

the true test will be when the media becomes seasoned. this is when we will see if the water continues to flow through the media and not around the media. i am guessing around and not through..

kwick
      Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead. - Benjamin Franklin.

you cant fix stupid no matter how hard you try.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I wonder how long it'll take to become established as long as it's plumbed in a series with another
      bio filter.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kwickcut View Post
      ...we will see if the water continues to flow through the media and not around [it]. i am guessing around and not through...
      Indeed we shall. The only difference between this shower and any other is height. If you're saying that all shower media plugs up, you're shall bring upon you the wrath of believers who claim that shower filters are pure awesome sauce.

Obviously I think it's going to work, but that's only because there's an RDF in front of it. A sieve might work as well, but with any other filter, I'd probably be agreeing with you.
      Last edited by kimini; 10-16-2018 at 12:28 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      I wonder how long it'll take to become established as long as it's plumbed in a series with another
      bio filter.
      The plan is to remove a portion of the MB media, reducing its effectivity and letting a bit of ammonia through to help the shower come up to speed faster.
      Last edited by kimini; 10-16-2018 at 10:03 AM.

Zac Penn is offline Supporting Member
      is the owner of Deepwater Koi
      Innovations

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by kwickcut View Post
      the true test will be when the media becomes seasoned. this is when we will see if the water continues to flow through the media and not around the media. i am guessing around and not through..

kwick

I think there may be a "Foot-In-Mouth" coming for you Then again, we shall see!!!!!
      Zac Penn.... Please sign-up for our MAILING LIST HERE
      904-294-2231
      Zac@DeepwaterKoi.com
      www.DeepwaterKoi.com

Paultergeist is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wow. I am very late to this party, and I am sorry that I missed this thread when it was first posted.

Kurt, I think your fabrication skills with the plastic-forming of the shower box are very impressive. I wish I knew how to do that. As I see that you are also in San Diego County (I live in Lemon Grove), perhaps you'll let me pick your brain sometime? (The beer is on me).

My pond is pretty small (~1300 gallons) and basic compared to the likes of the ponds I see on this forum, but I am also interested in keeping my water and electrical costs in check....I am currently running exclusively on airlifts.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks, Paul. It only looks good from afar; I know where all the ugly welds are!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast