• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: New to the hobby. need advice.

Morgan* is offline Junior Member
      is Aesthete

Feeling:
      ----

New to the hobby. need advice.

Hey everyone, i'm Morgan, age 27, from Alberta, Canada at about the same latitude as Ketchikan, Alaska. i'm new to the koi collecting and would like some advice. i don't have any koi yet but i'd like to learn as much as i can before getting any.
      Right now the only pond i can reasonably foresee using is a 300,000 gallon pond next to my house that was used for drinking water in the 90s but hasn't been used since. The water quality is poor because it hasn't been treated or aerated in more than a decade, right now im working on fixing that.

Here's a picture
      Name:  IMG_0284.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  251.5 KB

My goal will be to have a variety of koi breeds as close to old style textbook examples as possible
      So i have a few questions:
      Is it better to have all male or all female koi?
      What breed would you suggest someone new to koi collecting get first?
      How does mail order koi work? Can a 3 year old koi survive a 2-3 day journey in the mail?
      Is it better to hand feed koi or use an auto feeder?

I'll add some more questions later when i think of them.

FRK is offline Supporting Member
      is On the home stretch

Feeling:
      Happy

For this pond...... If you do put in mixed sexes you will have flawk spawning and the population will run away. If you wanted to go with only one sex the problem is that they need to be 2 years old to be able to determine the sex very well and at that age they are sometimes more expensive. Does this pond have an inflow of fresh water from anywhere? When it rains where does the run over go? how deep is the pond? In the winter you will need a way of keeping a hole in the ice so the decomposing biomatter can de-gas.

is Aesthete

Feeling:
      ----

I don't mind if 2 year old koi are expensive, i just don't want them to spawn. The pond is about 12 feet deep, there is a ridge around the outside so no run off can enter the pond. Ice in the winter only goes down 2 feet, with aeration it leaves a 5 foot hole in the ice. My neighbor has a pond similar to this with 8 9 year old koi, non of them have died yet so i think they adapt well to the 6 months of ice cover.
      Last edited by Morgan*; 1 Week Ago at 06:26 PM.

is Aesthete

Feeling:
      ----

So far from looking at pictures and video, my favorite koi breeds are Chagoi, Benigoi, Magoi, Asagi, Tancho Showa, and really girthy koi with fat shoulders. The ones i don't like are scaleless koi and ginrin koi, they are super ugly. Anyone know what breed is most friendly?
      Last edited by Morgan*; 1 Week Ago at 01:10 AM.

is On the home stretch

Feeling:
      Happy

Hopefully others will add there opinions also so you you get some well rounded information but I will recomend that you go for all male fish for two reasons. One is that females can sometimes have health problems from getting egg bound if they don't shed there eggs from spawning. And males are I think a little more active/energetic. A black koi (Magoi) would be nearly invisible most of the time in your pond. Karashigoi are a yellow colored koi that grow very large and are considered by many to be the freindliest. Chagoi is also a good choice for freindliness. How much trouble does your neighbor have from predators? Herrons, Osprey. Racoons, and I might guess in your neighbor hood, Bears?

is Aesthete

Feeling:
      ----

I think you're right, males are probably the best option, especially the girthy ones they seem to be the same size as females anyway. Do you think it would be better to get fully grown koi that have gone through their growing phase with an expert so i'm guaranteed not to have any runts?
      The only things we have that could threaten koi in our area would be either eagles or owls, but they are so rare that its not really an issue.

is On the home stretch

Feeling:
      Happy

Since you don't want spawning and are going to shop by sex (male). I would say just try to focus on the variety you like and study up on what constitutes quality for each variety. Koi will continue to grow and in some cases develope and change color for many years. I had a female that I kept in a small pond for 16 years. Moved her to a large pond and she doubled in size over the following 2 years. Looking at the size of youir pond I would guess you could easily have at least 40 koi and grow them to they're maximum genetically determined size. Size will very, at least a little, by variety.

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

I'd second the male only choice. They're also usually less expensive since they don't usually grow
      to the same size and girth as females.
      Beautiful pond too! I don't know if you've seen it but it reminded me of another that a member
      shared his transformation journey with us and thought it might help you with ideas:

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...00-gallon-pond

I hope you'll keep us updated on yours too!
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Go, Gosanke females.

Better chance of a GC.

Garfield
      Last edited by coolwon; 1 Week Ago at 07:02 AM.
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

is Aesthete

Feeling:
      ----

My nearest koi dealer is 9 hours drive from here so i don't think ill be working with them, how does it work to mail order koi? Do i just have to pick them up at the airport?