• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hurricane Florence on the way to Carolinas!

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Here's to hoping it passes by quickly and doesn't stall with all that rain...
      Stay safe!
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

Goki56 is online now Moderator ~ WWKC BOD ~ WWKC President
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by gray cat View Post
      The hurricane made landfall this morning @ 105 MPH. Several towns are under water and there are about 500,000 people with no power. I have heard there has been about 350 rescued so far that decided not to leave. This is just the beginning with the flooding that will come with the rain. There has been damage to homes & trees so far.

At my house so far this morning, we are having wind gusts up to 25 MPH. As the day goes on they may reach to 50 MPH. The rain has not started for us yet. We may get 5 to 10 inches. There are tornado warning about 45 minutes from me. During the wind gusts, the trees are bending over and small limbs & leaves are all over the place now. When the gusts stop, it becomes very still. No movement at all.

Stay safe!
      Gordana

gray cat is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Facebook Administrator
      is loving Spring!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Thanks Steve & Gordana. Just wanted to let you know that I am fine. It is very cloudy with lots of wind gusts. I had to clean the skimmer out several times because of the leaves. So far I haven't had any rain at all!
      There have been three deaths and several injuries.

For me and my area, so far so good.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2012 Koi Person of the Year!

delbert is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the update Nancy.

pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is feeling overwhelmed.

Feeling:
      Tired

Glad you are okay Nancy. It's been the same for me over here. Sunny all day and getting windier as we go along. I think it may be 24 hours before it gets here because it has slowed down so much.

DBibbins is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Its been a little crazy here but I wanted to check in with an update.

Thankfully the wind wasn't crazy strong so all of my trees are leafless but still standing, I pulled leaves out of the Zakki sieve and skimmer by the 5 gal bucket hourly. The rain on the other hand has not been so nice, it started raining Fri and hasn't stopped since. I stopped measuring rainfall early this morning when we hit more than 15'' and it has rained all day since then. We are in Union Co. and while our house is not flooded we cant get out of our neighborhood due to all the roads being flooded around us.

The pond and fish pulled through just fine with no power loss or flooded pumps. I am so glad its a raised pond, I cant imagine the mess that would of ended up in it if it was ground level. At times we had 5 plus inches of water sitting in back yard because it was raining faster than it could run off. I do have to say that I have used a very LARGE amount of baking soda over the last few days.

To top it all off my daughter had my first grand baby (girl) and was due to leave the hospital Sat morning. Her house had lost power Fri pm due to a fallen tree so the two of them, new baby and 3 dogs are at our house (5 dogs total w/ our 2). Everyone is doing well and we still have power at our house so all is good.

Cleaning up the mess this storm left behind will be the next step. Although I don't think I'll be able to walk in my back yard for a couple weeks without sinking out of sight.

I hope everyone else in this crazy storms path is doing well and staying safe.

Deb
      Happiness is adopting a mutt and my pond is FULL of Happiness....
      Deb

My pond
      https://youtu.be/PR3Q2MInsQg

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Thanks Deb for the update!
      --Steve

pickerel is offline Supporting Member
      is feeling overwhelmed.

Feeling:
      Tired

Everything is fine here in western SC. Not much rain at all. I really feel for those down river. They are getting pounded.

SouthernStarr is offline Administrator
      is Thinks some dogs should stay
      on the porch

Feeling:
      Happy

The Charleston area dodged a bullet. My sons said it was breezy, but not that much rain. We are hoping our Edisto River doesn’t flood. I feel so bad for Wilmington and New Bern areas. It will be a long time before life is normal there.

Proud Member Of The WWKC
      WWKC Lifetime Diamond Charter Member #6

is loving Spring!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by DBibbins View Post
      Its been a little crazy here but I wanted to check in with an update.

Thankfully the wind wasn't crazy strong so all of my trees are leafless but still standing, I pulled leaves out of the Zakki sieve and skimmer by the 5 gal bucket hourly. The rain on the other hand has not been so nice, it started raining Fri and hasn't stopped since. I stopped measuring rainfall early this morning when we hit more than 15'' and it has rained all day since then. We are in Union Co. and while our house is not flooded we cant get out of our neighborhood due to all the roads being flooded around us.

The pond and fish pulled through just fine with no power loss or flooded pumps. I am so glad its a raised pond, I cant imagine the mess that would of ended up in it if it was ground level. At times we had 5 plus inches of water sitting in back yard because it was raining faster than it could run off. I do have to say that I have used a very LARGE amount of baking soda over the last few days.

To top it all off my daughter had my first grand baby (girl) and was due to leave the hospital Sat morning. Her house had lost power Fri pm due to a fallen tree so the two of them, new baby and 3 dogs are at our house (5 dogs total w/ our 2). Everyone is doing well and we still have power at our house so all is good.

Cleaning up the mess this storm left behind will be the next step. Although I don't think I'll be able to walk in my back yard for a couple weeks without sinking out of sight.

I hope everyone else in this crazy storms path is doing well and staying safe.

Deb
      Deb my DD & GD live in Waxhaw. They lost their power for 10 hours and lost all of their food in the fridge. Their neighbor had two trees that fell on my DD's new fence & gate that she put in this summer. Now her roof is leaking. The insurance is sending someone to put a trap up until they can get to repairing it.

So glad you did well. Congrats on your new little granddaughter. There is nothing like having a granddaughter.
      Nancy

is loving Spring!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Things changed for us today & tonight. We have had a hard steady rain & wind gusts all day & evening. I drained my pond down as much as I could. I just hope it was enough. I have cleaned the filters and cleaned leaves out of the skimmer several times today in the pouring rain trying to keep up.

Before dark I had a full rain gauge that holds 5 inches and it had been pouring rain all night. We are having flash flood alerts. The wind gusts are very strong. I am hoping our trees hold on.
      I-40 and I-95 are closed in several areas because they are under water. Lots of roads are under water.

We are expecting rain through Tuesday. Wednesday is suppose to be 86* & sunny. That will be when we start the clean up.

There has been 15 people who have lost their lives in this hurricane. But me & my family are fine and we are so thankful for that!
      Nancy

probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Thanks for the update Nancy and glad you and yours are okay!
      --Steve

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123