• Tired

Thread: Keeping baby koi out of skimmer

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Hot hot hot!!!!!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Keeping baby koi out of skimmer

Recently my koi had babies and they are almost 3 months now. I have some in a baby nap basket, but there are maybe 50 loose in the pond, and these are larger ones. I keep finding dead babies in the skimmer basket, on their way to the pump. They are pretty beat up by the time I find them. I usually find about 3 to 5 a day, and sometimes they are the larger ones, which is upsetting me. I found one "soragoi" that I wanted to keep, in there. I don't want my chagoi to swim in there.

Is there anyway to keep the babies out of there, and still keep the water flowing fairly quickly? What I have now, a baker's rack, clogs up with algae fairly quickly (I clean it often) and I don't want to burn out my pump. Like I say, I check the skimmer often and each time, i usually find one or two. If they are alive, I chase them out. I tried rigging up a net, but that clogged overnight, and one time fell into the pond and was difficult to retrieve ( I can live with that, but my pump side was almost empty of water).

I can't think of too many things that are stiff enough to put over the skimmer opening, with small holes. Maybe a quarter to half inch holes? Please give me some suggestions! My brain is fried!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Nancy

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

1/4" plastic mesh is the only thing that pops first the only problem is they sell it in 25' rolls.

catfish whiskers is offline Supporting Member
      is Busy and

Feeling:
      Tired

is Busy and

Feeling:
      Tired

is Hot hot hot!!!!!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Thanks, where did you get the second cover? I've always just put a baker's rack over the opening and it really only has a bunch of stainless steel wires across it. It works pretty well keep the big fish out, but then again my art extremely large! I appreciate the good replies, I will get the both of them, To see what I can get my local hardware store or Lowe's!

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

is Hot hot hot!!!!!

Feeling:
      Awesome

I need that for my gutters, I would give anything over them either!

Favorite Quotes:

is Busy and

Feeling:
      Tired

Quote Originally Posted by nmtsaki View Post
      Thanks, where did you get the second cover? I've always just put a baker's rack over the opening and it really only has a bunch of stainless steel wires across it. It works pretty well keep the big fish out, but then again my art extremely large! I appreciate the good replies, I will get the both of them, To see what I can get my local hardware store or Lowe's!
      It’s hand made . Could be made from acrylic , ABS , or PVC sheets , and a jigsaw . The idea is that the diagnol angled openings will allways let floaty stuff through at any water level