• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Raccoon problem

JL41 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Angry Raccoon problem

I have had my pond for 7 years now and have never had an issue with raccoons before. I live in reasonably densely populated suburbs those three there are plenty of parks and greenery around. All of a sudden I keep having issues with raccoons this summer! They keep coming after food in the FishMate P7000 feeder. In the process, even though a feeder is attached to a base, they sometimes are able to throw the feeder into the pond, ruining it. I already had to buy 3 feeders this summer! I have tried to secure the feeder with rubber straps and rocks - no luck.

Anyway, I bought a raccoon trap and Iím getting **** good at catching them. So good that I have caught 6 in last 2 months!!! Is it possible that there are suddenly that many raccoons in the area?? Obviously Iím wondering if they are somehow finding their way back. The first two I took about 3-4 miles away, though on the other side of a 12 lane highway that has sound walls on each side. Of course thereís couple of bridges that cross the highway but I would figure that would be pretty intimidating for a raccoon to cross? Then I got concerned why I keep seeing raccoons so The next two I took about 7 miles away, though on the same side of the highway as my house. And the next two I took 7 miles away AND on the other side of the 12 lane highway. And this morning the feeder was again floating in the pond! ***!!!

Thoughts? Do you think the same raccoons are somehow coming back? In any case, the next raccoon is going on a far longer ride, to be absolutely certain...

catfish whiskers is offline Supporting Member
      is Busy and

Feeling:
      Tired

Ive got a family of four living nearby and they visit every night . They are everywhere in suburbia . Doesn’t matter if they are the same ones returning or not , more will find You . I’m using hanging koi cafe feeders , and they cannot get to them .

AvgJoe is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

From what I've read and been told by a pest control company, once a raccoon has been trapped, it will be wary of any traps in the future. I was told that you never want to relocate a raccoon because you're just giving other people your problem, especially since they're very likely not to get caught in a trap again.

Where I live, once a raccoon has been caught by a pest control company, they will humanely euthanize it. The body is then given to a tallow company.

gray cat is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~ Facebook Administrator
      is loving Spring!

Feeling:
      Awesome

My DD had a raccoon in her attic. It chewed through the siding and went in. The trapper said it was most likely a female looking for a place to have her babies. It was trapped and no babies were found. They stay in family packs. If only one is taken out of the pack the others try looking for it for months. They all need to be caught & released together about 10 miles away.
      If I were you I would not have any food out around the pond at all until they have been relocated. I have heard of them getting into ponds to eat the fish.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2012 Koi Person of the Year!

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

I only used the P7000 for a short time but when I did I mounted the base to a concrete block.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by catfish whiskers View Post
      Ive got a family of four living nearby and they visit every night . They are everywhere in suburbia . Doesn’t matter if they are the same ones returning or not , more will find You . I’m using hanging koi cafe feeders , and they cannot get to them .
      I would think they are everywhere but on the other hand - they never visited for first 7 years. So I'm hoping it's just a family pack that found me.

I have a small 1,000g pond. I tried koi cafe feeder but it just didn't work for me, spreads the food too wide, it goes straight to skimmer. I need something smaller that will drop the food on the opposite side from skimmer.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by AvgJoe View Post
      From what I've read and been told by a pest control company, once a raccoon has been trapped, it will be wary of any traps in the future. I was told that you never want to relocate a raccoon because you're just giving other people your problem, especially since they're very likely not to get caught in a trap again.

Where I live, once a raccoon has been caught by a pest control company, they will humanely euthanize it. The body is then given to a tallow company.
      Well we are going to find out if raccoons get weary of traps after being trapped because the one that got trapped last night managed to get out!

I heard that local regulations sometimes require killing raccoons if you trapped them. I don't know what it is in my area nor do I really care - I definitely don't plan on killing animals simply because I trapped them. Like other posters said, they are already everywhere.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      I only used the P7000 for a short time but when I did I mounted the base to a concrete block.
      I did attach the base with screws to a piece of 2x6. But the base kind of "slides into" those screws, as opposed to being permanently securely attached. And even when raccoons can't disconnect the base, they still manage to get most of the food out of the feeder every night... PITA! Well, it's September, so maybe I can get by without the feeder until spring...

cottagefog is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Wouldn't it be odd if someone across that 12 lane road, 7 miles away is catching the raccoons (that you released) in their trap, then driving them 7 miles away, crossing 12 lanes of traffic to let them go, unknowingly in your neighborhood! ;- )

Any unwanted animal, or bird that messes with my yard/pond is now a varmint. Any varmint I catch, I use the catch-euthanize-release method.

Good luck!

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I would say from my experience you are now screwed. I had mine secured so they couldn't get into it but I think they actually figured out they could pull the the food out of the spout as they could still empty it in a night without moving it. I caught several and disposed of them but their friends already knew the trick. I had to switch to hanging feeder which solved the problem.

LadysSolo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I had a problem so I caught and killed - I killed 14 in a 2-week period. That was two years ago, no problems before and none since (been here 19 years.) I hope the word I out in the raccoon community to stay away from here. It I illegal to relocate them in Ohio, so you must kill them.

mplskoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Relocating raccoons less than 20 miles will mean you will have that same raccoon back within a day or two. Having hunted raccoons for years I can tell you that there are no rules to their behavior. (Almost none.) They will live family style from April to November- mom and babies- but after that all bets are off. Adult males will be in pairs sometimes (even showing evidence of breeding behavior amongst themselves), sometimes barren females will run in groups, sometimes kits will stay together into their second year of life after their mom has kicked them out at about 9 months. Usually they don't travel far, but my hounds have trailed them over two miles on one track. So they do wander. They are prone to returning home.
      When I say there are almost no rules to raccoon behavior, there are a few caveats. One is that raccoons hate to be in well lit areas. If you put a bright light on the area around your feeder for a few months that should deter them. And they are habitual. So once they get in a habit they stick with it. I have feeders that I put in the woods in spring for raccoons. Sometimes I use them for a few years then don't for a few years. Even leaving an empty feeder for a few years, I know that the raccoons will come and check it, seeming to remember that there was food there a few years ago.
      Besides the light idea, and hauling raccoons more than 20 miles away I don't have any other solutions in mind. But wanted to dispel some false notions posted here.

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You should check this page regarding dealing with your problem. https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildli...ance/raccoons/

The one line you may be most interested in is
      It is illegal in the State of Virginia to trap and relocate an animal to another area.

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

Member of our water garden club buys 50 pounds of dog food a week to feed raccoons. This is in town and it would be interesting what her neighbors think. Very few hunt or trap them anymore for fur and the population even out in the country has exploded. People out of town don't want them dumped on them. Wildlife professionals don't want them relocated to the wild either.

two_wheeled is offline Senior Member
      is wondering who dropped a bomb
      in my back yard?

Feeling:
      Crazy

I'm in Phoenix. Never figured we'd have raccoons in town here, especially with our heat, but we do. Two raccoons found my pond early one morning and destroyed it. It was shallow enough that they could walk around in the water with their noses dry.
      All of my plants were trashed. All of my goldfish were eaten. Sad day for us.
      This is the primary reason I'm building a new pond right now.

davidjensen is offline Senior Member
      is needing more Koi

Feeling:
      Cool

I hang my feeder on a flower basket hanging steel rod. It hangs the feeder well out over the pond and I have loose rock around the area so racoons cannot get a footing.
      Need more Koi

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by mplskoi View Post
      Relocating raccoons less than 20 miles will mean you will have that same raccoon back within a day or two. Having hunted raccoons for years I can tell you that there are no rules to their behavior. (Almost none.) They will live family style from April to November- mom and babies- but after that all bets are off. Adult males will be in pairs sometimes (even showing evidence of breeding behavior amongst themselves), sometimes barren females will run in groups, sometimes kits will stay together into their second year of life after their mom has kicked them out at about 9 months. Usually they don't travel far, but my hounds have trailed them over two miles on one track. So they do wander. They are prone to returning home.
      When I say there are almost no rules to raccoon behavior, there are a few caveats. One is that raccoons hate to be in well lit areas. If you put a bright light on the area around your feeder for a few months that should deter them. And they are habitual. So once they get in a habit they stick with it. I have feeders that I put in the woods in spring for raccoons. Sometimes I use them for a few years then don't for a few years. Even leaving an empty feeder for a few years, I know that the raccoons will come and check it, seeming to remember that there was food there a few years ago.
      Besides the light idea, and hauling raccoons more than 20 miles away I don't have any other solutions in mind. But wanted to dispel some false notions posted here.
      I wonder if that's applicable to my situation - densely populated suburban area with lots of houses and highways - or this is a behavior of a raccoon in a forest? It's one thing for a raccoon to wander around and then trace his tracks back through a forest. It's a whole different ball game to be placed in a trunk, dropped off 7 miles away, and having no idea about the land in between two location, somehow find his way back through highways and thousands of houses using only smell...

Thanks for the pointer about bright light! I may do that.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Another thing is that for some reason the raccoons like Cermedia bio media! They get a couple of cubes out of the shower and chew on them! So I don't think that I can fully resolve this problem just by hanging the feeder. Though maybe they will stop coming if they can't get to the food...

mplskoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by JL41 View Post
      I wonder if that's applicable to my situation - densely populated suburban area with lots of houses and highways - or this is a behavior of a raccoon in a forest? It's one thing for a raccoon to wander around and then trace his tracks back through a forest. It's a whole different ball game to be placed in a trunk, dropped off 7 miles away, and having no idea about the land in between two location, somehow find his way back through highways and thousands of houses using only smell...

Thanks for the pointer about bright light! I may do that.
      Mr Raccoon surely is cognitively superior to the humble monarch butterfly that finds its way to wintering grounds that it has never been to before. So I have no doubt that a raccoon will find its way home from 20 miles. Maybe even 50. The more roads it has to cross the more likely it gets run over. There really is no such thing as humane catch and release with raccoons. Best to try deter them or just kill them.
      Like I say, light is what they avoid if they can. I had a friend who was having raccoons use her side yard as a latrine. I told her to leave a light on for a month. The raccoons changed their behavior during that month and have not returned. her grandchildren can go back to playing in the yard.