• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Stunted Koi?

koinoober is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Stunted Koi?

How do you tell the difference between a young koi and an older stunted koi of the same size?
      I thought I read somewhere that head/eye size has something to do with it?

I bought a "jumbo tosai"(technically a bigger ake nisai) last summer but I'm now wondering if it was actually a small ake sansai. It's got really big eyes compared to a same sized nisai that I bought a few months later.

I've seen at small dealers where "tosai" that were leftover from previous year(s), are still 5" but clearly looks eggy. Can a "bonsai" koi like this start growing again when placed in optimal conditions?

coolwon is online now Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by koinoober View Post
      How do you tell the difference between a young koi and an older stunted koi of the same size?
      I thought I read somewhere that head/eye size has something to do with it?

I bought a "jumbo tosai"(technically a bigger ake nisai) last summer but I'm now wondering if it was actually a small ake sansai. It's got really big eyes compared to a same sized nisai that I bought a few months later.

I've seen at small dealers where "tosai" that were leftover from previous year(s), are still 5" but clearly looks eggy. Can a "bonsai" koi like this start growing again when placed in optimal conditions?
      Can the left overs be SO UGLY they are left over that long?

Are they swimming around in the toilet bowl?

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

I believe your concern about stunted growth is valid. Koi can do a substantial amount of making up for lost time, but I don't think they ever get back all of the time that was lost in those early prime growth months/years, and don't grow as large as they otherwise would have.

I don't know how you can tell the age by looking at a koi. But if you see a 4" koi in April or May, you know it is probably a year old and has not grown all that well.

Some dealers have the practice of "maintenance feeding" their koi, which keeps them from growing. For such dealers, I may buy from their more recent shipments, but I won't buy koi they have had in stock for a while. Got burned that way once, when my 12" utsuri grew only about 4" in the next 4 years or so.

koi4u2c is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have purchased a few koi with excellent patterns at what I thought was a low price for pattern, skin, and color. I think they were chosen to grow and sell later by breeders and when they saw they were not growing let them go at a good price.

I have or had them for years and they are probably only 16 - 20 inches.
      Nancy

Jim Smith is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Stunted or breed to stay smaller. Aka bonsi koi. Sekiguchi pearl gin rin donít get large at all

LadysSolo is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I get why some people want the 36" long koi, but truthfully I am happy with my 4-year-old 18" koi that are likely as big as they are going to get - I need to be able to lift and manage them by myself, and I couldn't do that with a 36" koi.