• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Egg bound? Ulcer?treatment advice..

Mailman62 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Egg bound? Ulcer?treatment advice..

Pond has been running about 7yrs no problems, is approx 1200-1400 gals. With 6 12in koi. Running a 100 gal stock tank filter and have skimmer and waterfall filter. . One koi has been a bit fat and has developed sour in around anus area , have isolated it a 30gal tub in pond and taking out and putting in salt bath for 20 min a day. Doesn’t seem to be getting fatter. Would adding any thing else to salt bath help like malefix? Is this a egg bound issue? Other 5 fish in pond are fine. Not sure what else to do. Any advice Thks. Will try add pics.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

graybird is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This is a massive ulcer, and while it appears to be healing, I'd say the prognosis is still iffy. It's hard to see in the photo, but the redness and swelling in the scales outside the wound could be infection.

I would discontinue the salt baths, as the netting will be stressing her. Your best bet if you want to keep her is to keep pristine water. I assume you have no quarentine tank where you could heat the water? What is your water temp? I would do water changes of 10-20% every other day, and clean your filter at least twice a week. Melafix does nothing. Adding salt at 3 lbs per 100 gallons (so, 32 lbs for the pond) would provide osmotic support, but you'll need to remember to add more with each water change. Salt is available at Home Depot in 40-lb bags, make sure no additives, and add it gradually over a few days.
      Mary

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by graybird View Post
      This is a massive ulcer, and while it appears to be healing, I'd say the prognosis is still iffy. It's hard to see in the photo, but the redness and swelling in the scales outside the wound could be infection.

I would discontinue the salt baths, as the netting will be stressing her. Your best bet if you want to keep her is to keep pristine water. I assume you have no quarentine tank where you could heat the water? What is your water temp? I would do water changes of 10-20% every other day, and clean your filter at least twice a week. Melafix does nothing. Adding salt at 3 lbs per 100 gallons (so, 32 lbs for the pond) would provide osmotic support, but you'll need to remember to add more with each water change. Salt is available at Home Depot in 40-lb bags, make sure no additives, and add it gradually over a few days.
      Thks I will let him free intopond again and stay on top of water condition and add salt and cross my fingers,thks again

ademink is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

If you are going to treat, I would advise purchasing Tricide-Neo so you can do a one-time paste on the wound.
      Andrea

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Purchased the tricide, will try that when it arrives,any pointers on using that ,sounds like it potent stuff but read it has good results.

is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

The instructions say to dip. I have found it to be far more effective and economical to use it direct application .

Sedate the fish (if you need instructions, they are in our files on this forum)...keep it moist with wet (pond water) paper towels...cover the eyes
      Put a little Tricide powder in a pile on top of a baggie/piece of plastic wrap
      Take a qtip and get it wet with the fish's slime coat....dip it in the pile of powder
      Gently "work" it into the red areas, creating a paste out of the powder and slime coat. It will goop up on the qtip so just keep kind of wiping it back on the fish
      Leave it on for 5 minutes (feels like eternity lol)
      Wipe it off gently and return koi to pond/QT and revive

I know others on here mix a small amount of it into a small spray bottle and will pull the fish and spray several times a day on the wounds. I like direct application because it is "one and done" a high percentage of the time - my style. lol

Reseal your tricide well...don't let it get wet in the package. Put it in a ziploc and store in the freezer.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if any of that doesn't make sense!
      Andrea

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Do you feel that soaking the fish for 5 min a day for 7 days is not a good idea ? If we’re to sedate clove oil the way to go?and you say paste the red areas on fish which is a circle , but don’t paste the middle? Last time I checked him the middle seemed very soft. Very nervous on the sedation method..

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The soaking process is very wasteful of the Tricide Neo as it will strip a lot of the slime coat, fouling the mix. I have heard that you can strain it through a coffee filter to be able to reuse it, but if the fish is large, requiring the 5 gallon packet, then straining 5 gallons is a pain, plus the material once mixed needs to be kept refrigerated and will need to be brought back to pond temperature before each use. I have not used it in the same way as ademink, but have mixed 1/4 of the 1 gallon packet with a quart of distilled water, and then placing the mix in a spray bottle and sprayed the fish with that, keeping the fish wet, for the amount of time required for the soak, following the packet directions, generally. I then dispose of the part that has been sprayed, refrigerate the balance. The spray does not have the volume to require it to be brought back to pond temperature.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks I think that might be the way to go , also while I’m waiting for tricide to arrive would it be help if fish was quarantined in a tub with a dose of melifix ?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If I were to not sedate fish and try spraying or pasting the wound for a 5 min treatment with fish partially submerged would that be a bad idea? How long can he stay out of water and be ok? Thks I just want to get this right the first time

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman62 View Post
      If I were to not sedate fish and try spraying or pasting the wound for a 5 min treatment with fish partially submerged would that be a bad idea? How long can he stay out of water and be ok? Thks I just want to get this right the first time
      I think you could do more harm than good trying to treat without sedation. The stress on the fish
      would not be good. The first time using anesthesia is scary but it's more stressful on you rather than the fish.
      Go to part seventeen:
      http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...-Health-Sticky

Maybe think of it this way... if you do nothing the chance the fish will perish is probably good. In all the years
      I've been here I don't think I've ever heard of a case where applying anesthesia was deadly. It may still not
      heal but worst case scenario it's no worse than doing nothing.
      Be brave... we've all been there the first time. You can do it!
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Today wound on him is looking worse to me,have not treated with tricide yet ,should arrive soon but might be too late. do you think he’s too far gone ? like his insides are ready to come out. And if it’s too far gone what’s best way to put down ..very sad.. Thks.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Here’s pic
      Attached Images Attached Images  

KoiRun is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

From the pic the wound actually looks better to me. The out edges are less inflamed. After several days of a skin breech such as this, there would be an invisible, not so apparent, reepithelialization (wound healing) taking place. It is not to be disturbed because proliferation and organization of epithelial cells starts soon after reepithelilialization. This also serves as a water barrier. You can apply polysporin spray to it and snip off any loose tissues you may find next time you should net her, if you like. The effectiveness of would healing is determined by the health status of the fish, concurrent diseases, water quality*, and water temperature.
      Last edited by KoiRun; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:40 PM.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

Nguyen365 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Is that cureable?

is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

I would really encourage you to sedate and do the paste. You can do it!! I was terrified the first time but it is nothing!!
      Andrea