• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2018 Showa female and Kohaku male

Roger is offline Senior Member
      is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

Question, if I breed a kohaku that came from a showa spawn with a regular kohaku, will some of the babies be black? Also, would the kohaku that was bred from a showa spawn be prone to shimi?

My Hasegawa female developed a black spot and one of my Hasegawa male has a small black stripe on its tail. I wonder if he kept kohaku from his showa spawn. Anyway, I can use them to strengthen or invigorate my showa line to prevent in breeding.

I found out latter that one of Hoshikin koi farm's major goal was to breed koi with out shimi. They put a lot of effort in this area, so I may need to obtain one latter. This is a big plus for them, I really hate shimi.

My goal for this small spawn is body confirmation, and hopefully I get one or two showa or kohaku that meet minimum color patterns.
      Last edited by Roger; 5 Days Ago at 07:45 PM.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
      Question, if I breed a kohaku that came from a showa spawn with a regular kohaku, will some of the babies be black? Also, would the kohaku that was bred from a showa spawn be prone to shimi? ...
      I don't know. But I look at how over 90% of my fry had no black even though all the parent koi were showa. That makes me think if you bred two kohaku, even if one came from a showa spawn, either none or practically none would have black. Then again koi spawns have a way of doing more of whatever you don't want.

Looks like your little ones are growing quickly at such a young age.

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
      Looks like your little ones are growing quickly at such a young age.
      Matt, I may have made a mistake today. I put the monster that was left for dead in with the rest of them. I just remembered seeing a fry from the blue tank chewing on a dead one this morning.

I should take the monster out tomorrow. I don't want him eating any black fry.

I will post the kohaku with the off set tail end tomorrow, he was also a monster left for dead. He has the muscular Dainichi Marin body type. I'll try to get a picture of the Marin male. He had a skin disorder, maybe hikui desease. I created his pattern, he was a one step, but I rubbed the red off with iodine. I notice that some adult koi from Japan are not use to the tropical climate. They often times develop a non contagious skin problem. However, I don't see this problem on raised young koi or home bred adult koi.

Up date on picture:
      The Marin male is the one in the middle of the bottom picture. The top picture is his son. The black speck on the fin of the baby koi is rubbish. This koi is clean no black. The front fin in the picture is distorted, its not deformed. The only thing is the tail, it's a little heavy one side, but seem to be balancing out. I had hard time getting this koi to stay still.

Name:  DSCN0800.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  111.5 KBName:  DSCN0838.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  91.3 KB
      Last edited by Roger; 1 Day Ago at 04:17 PM.

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

I forgot about the duck weed. I noticed a lot of left over powdered koi food on the bottom every morning. This is what triggered my memory about my duck weed idea. Ground duck weed has just as much protein as powdered koi food.

I ground some duck weed up and poured it around the blue tank, they seem to be eating it. They dot around in small jerky movements, they seem excited. I think this idea works, it will make feeding them easier. I don't have to worry about polluting the water. The excess will always be edible, it will eventually turn into infusoria. Plus, some of it floats, they will always have food around them at all times.
      Last edited by Roger; 3 Days Ago at 07:04 AM.

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

I found this interesting article on Showa's history and what to look for in its selection written by Taro Kodama.
      https://www.pondtrademag.com/showa-s...e-colored-koi/

This is a scientific cross breeding study on Akame Kigoi (Red eye), Kohaku, and common carp. The purpose of this study was to investigate the inheritance
      of red eyes in ornamental koi. However, color transference and color mutations were documented. http://www.ksuaquaculture.org/PDFs/G...%20251-258.pdf
      Last edited by Roger; 2 Days Ago at 01:51 AM.

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

It has been a few days over two weeks since they hatched, and they can be trained to be fed on one side of the tank. They range from half inch to inch and a quarter, and they started to eat the barley paste mixed with koi food powder. I broke off small pieces and smashed it with my finger and dropped four pieces on one side of the tank, cold straight from the refrigerator. When I came back after half hour, I was surprised to see them eating it, it was almost all gone.

I bought three 45 gram bottles of pressure cooked daphnia moina from a farm in Thailand on ebay. It took about a week and a half to get here. I've been mixing 3 tsp of it with about half a cup of duck weed puree two times a day. In addition, I will start feeding them the barley paste mix, their stomach look full. I occasionally feed them a little live daphnia just to stimulate them during feeding time. My daphnia culture is multiplying. In about five more days thousands of baby daphnia magna will start reproducing, and I will start feeding them to the fry more frequently. I really didn't need to start a daphnia culture, the initial fry stage did okay with egg yolk and powdered koi food. I am satisfied with their growth up until this point. This is my first time using barley paste, so I don't really know what to expect. However, I have a good feeling about it, its good to see their stomach fat filled with food. I will draw my conclusions of it by end of month (10/19/18 to 10/30/18).
      Last edited by Roger; 1 Day Ago at 11:25 PM.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

I found this interesting article on Showa's history and what to look for in its selection written by Taro Kodama.
      https://www.pondtrademag.com/showa-s...e-colored-koi/
      Interesting article. Thanks Roger. Taro mentioned, "... I came across a handful of koi hobbyists who raised only Showa. I do not know, even today, anybody who raises only a certain variety like Kohaku or Kujaku. Showa seems to be the only variety that can get that kind of raving fans." And also, "There are hobbyists who raise only Showa, so itís obvious that the Showa variety does have something that lures people."

I think one of the special things about showa, is that rarely do you see two showa that look all that much alike. Single colored koi look a lot alike, as do most asagi. Two colored patterned koi have more unique looks, but partly due breeding to fit rigid show judging parameters, a lot of these, while beautiful, do not vary all that much in overall appearance. While sanke have three colors, they tend to be bred for the same rigid hi parameters, and for whatever reasons the most celebrated ones seem to be bred for a very small token amount of sumi.

Showa however tend to have lots of sumi in patterns that are highly variable from one koi to the next. And the hi pattern does not have to be so particular because it gets so much strong help from the sumi. Some have lots of red. Some have lots of black. Some have lots of white. And there are widely varying combinations of the three with innumerable patterns. One can breed a pond full of showa and get lots of variety within the variety, along with some utsuri.

is a mad scientist

Feeling:
      Crazy

I am seeing them chewing on a few dead fry in the morning, I wonder if the dragon fly bloats are killing them or they are dying from eating to much or cannibalism? I found and killed two bloats this morning.

I took a picture of the fry eating the barley paste, there are a few that did not find the paste yet. I will try feeding them the same amount in the evening, maybe the cannibal under investigation won't murder anyone if it is full.

Up date, I took out three cubes of barley paste, and left three, six cubes is too much for them. Their stomach is very fat, i'll try mixing in a little clay on the next event this evening. The texture of the paste cubes that I took out seem to suggest it can hold that shape until eaten. I wonder if they will finish eating the three cubes I left in by end of day.

Name:  DSCN0851.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  163.6 KBName:  DSCN0842.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  78.6 KB
      Last edited by Roger; 9 Hours Ago at 04:27 PM.

is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

... Marin male Ö I created his pattern, he was a one step, but I rubbed the red off with iodine Ö. The Marin male is the one in the middle of the bottom picture.
      Mad Scientist at work. Is this the right fish? And are these spots where was the iodine applied?

Name:  Roger kohaku.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  49.9 KB

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234