• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2018 Showa female and Kohaku male

Roger is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Orlando, I would have to run another electrical line to my back yard if I add anymore stuff. I have to make do with what I have. I'll put two spawning mats in my 300 gallon blue tank, it can currently neutralize one cup of ammonia and nitrite residual in one day with a 600 gallon pump. The wooden lined spawning tank is also 300 gallons, but the pump water flow through the filter media is 1200 gallons per hour and the bio filtration has been established years ago, so it can handle a bigger load. The water in the blue tank is green, and the water in the other is clear because of the Tahitian taro plants and constant water changes. I don't need to run UV lights in the aquaculture tanks. I will need to transfer my duck weed in the blue tank to a temporary 100 gallon holding bin and flush out some of the green water during the egg incubation stage.

I like the duck weed idea, they multiply fast and its free. I started freezing them, I'll grind them up and mix it with my barley fry paste and study the results. I have tried powder food before, its an easy way out, but Wombat, Wayne and Mat has shown better results with fry paste, its a proven koiphen method. I understand in the beginning they eat infusoria and small food particles like green water algae and boiled egg yolk.
      Last edited by Roger; 1 Week Ago at 01:24 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ok, I injected 6 koi with ovaprim. I probably screwed up on some of them, it takes practice. I did not have the angle on my white red eye kohaku, it look like it slanted skin deep. Ironically it was my 5th try, I was too worried about the scale. Also, I may have pressed the ovaprim out of a few of them. I noticed an air pocket? Next time, I will just press the injection hole as I pull out. Its 8am, I wonder what will happen in 10 hours. I want to play with my hatching jar and try to hand spawn a pair.

As I reflect on the day, I realize my poor performance was a result of rushing. This is the first time working with a chemical base anesthetic, I always use clove oil. The chemical based Trican-S is superior to clove oil. One and a half teaspoon in 5 gallons of water will knock the koi out in less than a minute to the point where the gills stop moving. This freaked me out. I ended up diluting the anesthetic bath with the water from the Japanese koi net. At first I prepared a separate container of fresh water and placed them in there and hand carried them to the bath, so I wouldn't dilute the bath. I found out latter this anesthetic bath can be diluted, it just take a little longer for them to go under. Once they knock out there is no rush, they are out. Its also easier to bring them back with fresh water. I injected them in the water, next time I will take them out, dry them up and take my time.
      Last edited by Roger; 3 Days Ago at 02:32 AM.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

I'm watching with interest in what happens next. I'm not familiar with spawn-inducing injections, but for some injections, it may not necessary to anesthetize them. One can put them in a big empty plastic bag, then with both knees around the koi's head, and one hand holding down the tail firmly, inject them in the side. I guess the risk of damaging a scale may be greater, and the side may not be where this or that particular injection needs to go.

I've only used clove oil a few times years ago, when taking gill samples to check for parasites. It can be kind of spooky, as some koi are hard to wake up, but they came through okay. I don't like to do it.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Matt, the spot where I inject them is red because the needle was not the right size, it was too wide. Also, I did not really study the depth of the injection on the training video, so I may have gone too deep. This always happen to me, I always learn the hard way.

This article list the needle size to use and certain other factors in the selection of fish to use. It also has a list for why my fish did not spawn. I wish I found this information before I started. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa161

Ovaprim will work successfully only in fish that are sexually mature, properly conditioned, and in the final stage of maturation. Might as well trigger the spawn without Ovaprim.
      Last edited by Roger; 1 Day Ago at 04:46 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have been screwing up with online ordering lately. My first screw up was an order for a floating fish net from https://www.recreationid.com/windpad...mpn-wff-l.html. I hit the pay button before realizing the $49 shipping charge. The shipping charge for the same item is $7 on Amazon.

The next screw up is for 5ml 23g veterinarian syringe/needles from shaotong, under its product feature it says 20Pack(1mlor5mlor10ml) syringes With 18G-16G needle. this is the wrong size needed. Its a general description for multiple products, so the needle maybe 23 gauge as advertised. Free shipping.

With doubt in mind, I ordered from another supplier, since I can use the syringes for my mushroom culturing hobby. I placed the order for the syringe with the 23 gauge needle and then found out that the same supplier sells a thinner 25 gauge. I stop ordering because I am with in the recommended needle range 22-28. The larger number is thinner which does less damage. Free shipping.
      Last edited by Roger; 2 Days Ago at 04:27 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123