• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Same Fish....Different Serious Problem....Laying on bottom, body curved

True Blue is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Same Fish....Different Serious Problem....Laying on bottom, body curved

Hello.

I've previously posted about this particular fish. My last post was here about a cloudy eye:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...-with-the-Eyes

I came back to the house this morning after being out of town a week. We had someone feeding the fish and scooping leaves out in our absence. I saw the fish pictured in the post above laying at the bottom of the pond, body curved, not moving. At first I thought it was dead. But then I noticed its gills were pumping, and it reacted slightly when touched with the leaf net.

I immediately checked the chem levels. Ammonia, pH, nirites, KH, all perfect. Nitrates were a bit elevated somewhere between 80-160ppm, but that is not all that unusual for this pond and it's been much, much worse in the past. No other fish exhibiting any unusual symptoms. There has been a heat wave while I've been gone, but nothing too extreme. Other than the cloudy eye, this fish was acting normally when I left town.

I'm doing a major water change, turning on the aerator 24/7 (it was on about 15 hours per day while I was gone), and also started treatment with Nox Ich for lack of having anything else around to treat with or having any specific idea as to what might be wrong. I'm gonna give it 24 hours and see if there's any improvement, otherwise I think it might be time for the hammer.

Does anybody have any suggestions for treatment options?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

ademink is offline Senior Member~~Moderator
      is still doing this pond thing.

Feeling:
      ----

It’s possible that there is insufficient aeration if it’s hot and the fish is already weak. Aerators should run 24/7. Any improvement since you have turn the air on? I would actually advise that you update your original post rather than starting a new one.
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by ademink View Post
      It’s possible that there is insufficient aeration if it’s hot and the fish is already weak. Aerators should run 24/7. Any improvement since you have turn the air on?
      No improvement since turning on aeration diffuser. I should have added that we have a pretty significant waterfall which runs 24/7, so oxygen levels are probably OK. Aeration diffuser is just extra insurance due to paranoia.

Didn't add this to my original post as this seems to be a different problem.

lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

you got a waterfall and unless you can walk across the fishes' backs from one side to the other you ain't got an oxygen problem. How many fish ya got, and how long has this fish had issues?
      Could be just time to go.
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

We have about 30 fish in a 3,000 gallon pond. So we are a bit overstocked, but oxygen is not a problem.

I tried salt dips last night to no effect. I sent the fish to fish heaven. All the other fish are vigorous and healthy.

Thanks to those that tried to help. It was just weird because the fish was doing so well when I had last seen it a week earlier.

Upon close inspection of the fish post-mortem.....I didn't notice anything obvious.

ademink is offline Senior Member~~Moderator
      is still doing this pond thing.

Feeling:
      ----

Sorry you lost him.
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007