• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Chagoi or brown mutt :)?

foothill999 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Chagoi or brown mutt :)?

Still very small maybe 4" Brown put when netted I noticed a slight greenish tint. Out of all the koi in the pond I noticed this one is very chill, always the first to come up and eat but not super fast and aggressively, and in the holding tank the other fish would scramble and pile up to try and hide this one would always swim to the other side and hang by himself to escape the nervousness of the others. Chagoi possibly? or just a brown pond mutt with a chill personality
      Attached Images Attached Images   

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Not to shabby for a for homegrown, do you know the parents or was it a flock spawn it also shows a metalic hue that will probably help you track down atleast one of the parents.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      Not to shabby for a for homegrown, do you know the parents or was it a flock spawn it also shows a metalic hue that will probably help you track down atleast one of the parents.

It was actually purchased from a local koi store (central valley koi) 5 months ago for I think $6 smallest koi they sold. It was out first trip to this backyard style koi store, all the koi are in large covered cement type ponds and separated by size. You are given a net and bowl and you can pick the ones you like. My son was insistant on a brown fish and out of the hundreds in the bin there was very few that appeared brown and it took us an hour to get this one

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by foothill999 View Post
      It was actually purchased from a local koi store (central valley koi) 5 months ago for I think $6 smallest koi they sold. It was out first trip to this backyard style koi store, all the koi are in large covered cement type ponds and separated by size. You are given a net and bowl and you can pick the ones you like. My son was insistant on a brown fish and out of the hundreds in the bin there was very few that appeared brown and it took us an hour to get this one
      Well then not a bad find for a 6.00 backyard find, please would you post a picture of this koi like every 90 days or so so we could see where it goes, thank you How big is this koi at present since purchase took place 5 months ago, am assuming the pictures posted were taken earlier.
      Last edited by Orlando; 08-18-2018 at 08:43 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

that is a current picture taken last week in a 5 gallon home depot bucket when he was moved from the 100 gallon quarantine tank for his debut into the big boy pond. Just looked back on old pictures and I looks like we got him in may so maybe only 3 1/2 months ago. Cant wait to see how he grows and flourishes in his new much bigger home. I will post here in a few months with an updated picture.

jimfish98 is offline Supporting Member
      is not losing sleep over the
      opinion of sheep

Feeling:
      ----

Definitely a mutt and expect the color pattern to change a lot over time. Watch its feeding as well as this one is not going to have a steam lined body but rather a thinner tail tube with a pooch of a stomach. Time will tell on it though and as long as you enjoy it, then it is a good fish.

Diamond Lifetime Member #95!
      Just because its not a Great Koi doesn't mean its not a Great Koi...Me circa 2013

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by jimfish98 View Post
      Definitely a mutt and expect the color pattern to change a lot over time. Watch its feeding as well as this one is not going to have a steam lined body but rather a thinner tail tube with a pooch of a stomach. Time will tell on it though and as long as you enjoy it, then it is a good fish.

Thanks mutt makes sense..... The 100 gallon rubbermaid holding tank was grossly overstocked with 4 12" fat koi and 4 4" koi since I had them long story but I thought the new big pond would be ready sooner and wasnt so they stayed in that small tank much longer then I planned, with 4x weekly big water changes and a very well seasoned oversize pump and filter the water quality tested daily.... but very little rooms to swim or move and I noticed slow grow. A few of the young ones were moved before this brown guy and within 1 month I have noticed big growth on the others so hoping he follows suit. He swam more in his new home on the first day then he probally had in the last 3 1/2 months in that tub.

tamatamane is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I too agree that it has a bit of a metallic look to it; especially the face. He could be from a Chagoi spawning as I've seen examples of old-style metallic varieties like the Mukashi Ogon coming out of Chagoi/Soragoi/Ochiba Shigure pairings.

The netting appears a little bit dark around the lateral line so that could develop into a matsuba-type scale down the road.

Overall pretty cool looking fish let us know how it does in a year!

cktyu is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I wouldnt say its a mutt

Goldenlotus0077 is offline Junior Member
      is Koi / Goldfish
      lover��

Feeling:
      Amused

It’s mixed between a ogon /chagoi. Still very beautiful

• Remove Ads