• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: First blooms on new lily (and ID confusion)

Rotareneg is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

First blooms on new lily (and ID confusion)

First, the purty pictures:

Name:  qEPdwzO.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  GLraOIC.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  220.2 KB

There's a few more in this Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/GEQYeUQ

It was sold as an Indiana but now that it's blooming it looks more like the pictures I've seen of Wanvisa, so I'm not really sure what it is now. For scale, the container is 38x28", the flowers about 3.5" across (96x71 cm, 8.9 cm.)

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

matherfish is offline Senior Member
      is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

It looks just like Wanvisa to me. The blooms and pads all look like Wanvisa.
      Sunfire Hardy Water Lily now available
      See my Pro Seller store on Koiphen

“People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”
      ― Zig Ziglar

Koiphen 2019 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I had ordered an Indiana because the descriptions made it seem like it'd be a better fit for a tub like that, I hadn't even considered getting a Wanvisa. While it's not really a good thing for those kinds of mix-ups to happen, in this case I'm quite happy with the results.

I hadn't noticed the darker flower has one petal with a light streak, that makes it even more obviously a Wanvisa:

Name:  xi0sFRp.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  86.4 KB

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

I agree with Matherfish that what you received is undoubtedly a N. 'Wanvisa', but there are other considerations. According to Perry Slocum, the waterlily Latour-Marliac hybridized and named N. 'Indiana' is classified as a small, changeable waterlily and with 5" pads and a 30" leaf spread, and is perfectly suitable for a tub garden of the dimensions you list. Conversely, the originator of N. 'Wanvisa', Dr. N. Nopchai Charnsilpa, reports it is a sport of N. 'Joey Tomocik, which is a large lily with 8"-10" pads and a potential spread of 4'-5' and will not be nearly as happy in the same tub garden.

The bigger issue is...the reason these "mix-ups" are so common in the waterlily hobby is that hobbyists so often say they are happy with the "mixed-up results". I have grown both waterlilies in question and 'Wanvisa' propagates much more aggressively than 'Indiana'....by way or provenance, my 'Wanvisa' was received from Dr. N. Nopchai Charnsilpa and the 'Indiana' from Dr. Kirk Strawn, and the above observations are mine and not those of Perry Slocum . As result of the more prolific propagation, lesser than ethical growers are tempted to send the easier grown varieties, rather than miss a sale. My point being, while I am glad you are satisfied and I am not questioning the ethics of your supplier; I still suggest you alert your supplier to the mistake and ask it be rectified. Until the consumer stands up and demands they get what they paid for, the mistakes will never end. Would you accept a cheaper Chevy truck when you paid for a GMC...I know, not quite an analogous situation, but still let them know about the mistake, so they can correct future problems...which may be as simple as educating their employees. I am so adamant on this issue that if they want you to return the 'Wanvisa' you are satisfied with, PM me and I will happily provide both a replacement 'Wanvisa' and pay the return postage in order for you to receive the 'Indiana. It is just wrong to hear so many people say "it isn't the lily I wanted and ordered, but I like it anyway". Not to be contentious...but that is the attitude that fuels all the counterfeit markets....it is not what I wanted, but it is nice, so I'll accept it anyway. Please, demand you get what you ordered!
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

I have Wanvisa in an 8 foot stock tank and it needs a bigger home for sure it needs a mud pond or at least mine does
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

Koiphen 2018 Koi Person of the Year!

OK.TN.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've sent the seller (Texas Water Lilies) an email about the mix-up. As far as the plant vs container size goes, I'm going to be pulling and dividing the rhizomes for storage over-winter anyway as I don't trust that container to not freeze through during the winter (north central Kansas.)

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007