• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Sore on head

arbeit52 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sore on head

I've recently noticed one of my new koi has a purple sore on the top of its head. He spends most of his time hiding under a shelf and only comes up to feed. When he does coem up his motion is a bit herky jerky near the surface and almost looks like a twitch. Any thoughts on what this could be and steps to take would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Name:  koi.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  166.2 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

Welcome to Koiphen, I'm sorry your first visit is for a sick fish. You have come to the right place, there are many fish keepers here who are well-versed in the treatment of sick and injured koi, I hope that we will be able to help you.

Unfortunately, it looks like your fish is pineconeing. This can be the result of an internal bacterial infection, or other issues going on internally. More than likely the fish's kidneys are not working properly or are failing. The I nfection you see on his head may have gone systemic, or the reverse, he may have a systemic infection and it is coming out or appearing as an ulcer. Infections of this sort are normally treated with injectable antibiotics, such as Baytril which can be obtained from a veterinarian, one who specializes or at least deals with fish. Also, if you have a good relationship with your dog or cat vet, sometimes they will give you some syringes or a bottle of Baytril to use on the fish. It's very hard to get fish to eat the proper amount of antibiotic in medicated food, or by having antibiotics just in the water that's why injectable antibiotics are recommended. However, many fish do not make it when they are at this stage in the game.

Some questions:
      How big is your pond, (in gallons) and what type of filtration do you have on it?
      How many fish do you have, how big are they ( approximately) and are any other ones being affected?
      Do you know if the fish affected was possibly attacked by a bird? Do you have any netting or other things on top to protect them? Are any of your other fish acting skittish? If so this may be the sign of a predator coming around and injuring the fish.

Do you monitor your water quality? And if so, what are the following parameters: iammonia, nitrIte, pH, and KH.

You mentioned that this is a "new" koi, when did you get him and add him to the pond? Also, did you quarantine?
      Did you add any other fish at this time?

As for treatment, it really depends on how much you want to save this koi, and what you are willing to do for it. You might need to set up a hospital tank so that treatment will be easier. Depending on the fish's size, 50 to 100 gallons should be enough. It's also recommended that you put a small friend in there for company, as koi are social creatures.

If you could please answer the above questions, it will help us determine a treatment protocol. You don't just want to throw all different kinds of medications in there willy-nilly without knowing what is going on with your water quality.

Unfortunately, once a fish has pineconed to this degree, it's very rare for them to pull through. However, I have seen some fish make it; it really depends on what the owner is willing to do.

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007