• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: koi issue?

nellis1989 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Unhappy koi issue?

I have a pond ive tried calculating gallons but every calculator gives me a different answer. it ranges from 1700gal to 2200gal. my pond is kidney shaped with three different depth. 9.5 ft long 6 ft wide...shallow end 2ft, middle 3.5ft and deep end is 6ft. ammonia nitrates and nitrites all read 0. pond ph has been swinging during the day from 7.5 to 9. I know a swing of this much is no good. my plants are browning and my koi are laying on bottom most dont stay long but my small 4" is "resting" a lot. all still swarm to feed. kh and gh are at 5 drops each. pond is going on its third month running. I had a 3000gph hooked up to a 1000gal flter and a 1000gal filter waterfall. I have recently upgraded to a 1000gph pump hooked to the 1000gph filter and added a 3000gph filter hooked to the 3000gph pump and 1000gph waterfall. The established filter is still in the pond. I have seen some flashing and done a pp treatment. I scraped and scoped for the first time since college and did not see any moving bacteria. But did see a lot of round looking things. not sure if this could be costia? Whent he koi first arrived in a quarantine tank due to 1 jumping out and i didnt catch it in time. the other i thought i caught in time but ended up dieing a few days later. I then lost one to a ulcer, i tried medicating with hydrogen peroxide and putting biobandage but i think it was just to late by time i got the ulcer as it was hidden on the bottom of the fish. Since putting the fish in my newly established pond i have noticed periodic flashing. Now they dont seem to be flashing as much but are laying on the bottom. I am not sure if it is due to the daily ph swings and if so how to stabilize the ph. I read it could be the stone around the pond leeching or the algae sucking up co2? I am a novice this is my first pond. I learn quickly but am at a loss. I do not want to lose my 4" koi who seems to be affected the most but a few seems to "rest" on the bottom. At this point I am at a loss. going to change the water tomorrow and see if that helps since i just did the pp treatment. also the regimen i found online was to do 2ppm pp wait until its brown do 2ppm again and wait till its brown then add a little hydrogen peroxide and turn on filters. wondering on advice for this as well....if the problem is costia will pp kill it? pond image uploaded
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Appliance Guy is offline Senior Member
      is Just chillin with koi...

Feeling:
      Friendly

The 'round looking things' could be tricodina. Google it and see if that's what it is, and get back with us.
      Tim can always be reached at 850-380-7824 or timnye850@gmail.com

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I dont think so they didnt look like they had any kinds of inner workings, they looked like little water droplets, but obviously werent.
      I am new to scraping and scoping koi and tried to take some from the gill and body.
      I was thinking it might be the ph swi ng and in reading it might be to many plants without enough kh buffer.
      does this seem possible? I have water hyacinths, hornwort, water lettuce, red lugwigia and pone other plants because i read the pond should have about 50% coverage

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

To get an accurate calculation of the pH, get a salt pen or TDS meter and measure the salinity of the pond, then add a known amount of salt, for this size pond I would go with 20 pounds, (1/2 a 40 pound bag of water softener solar crystals), and get a second reading after a day or two, and use the calculator at the top of the page. This will measure the volume of the pond, all plumbing and filters.

With a KH of 5, I would expect the pH to be more stable, but it is probably a lack of aeration to drive off the CO2. The submerged plants and algae consume carbon dioxide during the daylight hours but switch at night to produce the carbon dioxide and consume oxygen. Carbon dioxide in water makes carbonic acid, and the increase overnight causes the fall in pH. With aeration, the carbon dioxide is driven off as a gas, raising the morning pH. If the pH is going to 9, is that a guess from one of the drop type test kits or is that using a pH meter? None of the pH drop tests are that good at giving a reading at that height, but if it is going that high, the addition of some calcium chloride (pool or spa hardness increaser) will provide the needed calcium to react with the carbonate that has a high pH, bringing the pH down to about 8.3. For the aerator, look for one that is 20LPH, 25LPH, ... with appropriate size of air stones or diaphrahm aerators.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The reading is 7.5 in morning , 9 in the afternoon and back down to 7.5 at night an it is a drop test. I have crushed oyster shell and coral in the waterfall. I have a small fountain and a 1000gph pump that also doubles as an aerator. Could this be too little oxygen, I had a 60 (165psi) gallon air pump with 2 long air stones also but was told there could be an issue with the bubbles getting stuck on the gills. I will look up calcium chloride now, will this help stabilize the ph long term?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

the 60 gal air pump does 1200 cc...i cant seem to find lph for it

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Your KH is marginal, but workable. I like to see it above 6 drops and preferably above 10 drops. This could be accomplished with baking soda. It is the bicarbonate that provides the KH, and not the carbonate of the crushed oyster shell and coral. Carbonates in solid form will only react when the pH is very low, where as bicarbonate (KH) reacts when the pH is high or low. When the pH is high, the bicarbonates become carbonate ions which need calcium to combine with to get them out of the water column and not affecting the pH. The calcium will bring the pH down. Aeration to get rid of the excess carbon dioxide will bring the pH up. Both combined will maintain the pH at about 8.3. You can try your air pump. The air pumps that I am familiar with will make an area of the pond look like it is boiling, not just a small stream of bubbles. But give your air pump a try and see if it doesn't help. The air will not stick to the fishes gills, so don't worry about too much air.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

how much calcium carbonate should i add?
      I cant figure out the calculator at the top of the page to get pond volume is it under koi calculators or something else?
      Thank you for your help it is much appreciated as I am fairly new to this even though I have researched like mad!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i have order both the meter and the calcium to arrive by tuesday.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Yes for the volume calculation, the http://www.koiphen.com/forums/koicalcs.php?do=calcsalt

I hope that you ordered calcium chloride, not calcium carbonate. The calcium chloride when it contacts water gives off a lot of heat, so mix it in a bucket outside the pond and then pour slowly into the pond. Use approximately 1 pound per 1000 gallons and see what happens. Do the addition of the calcium chloride early in the day. Additions of baking soda should be done late in the day. These times correspond with the time of the pH being affected the least, yet providing the correction when it is needed the most.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

yes sorry i did order the calcium chloride.....someone else is telling me not to add it because the chloride can build up over time???

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

i ordered the tds meter is read at 0776 ppm and 24.7 c. is this a good or bad reading? I dont know what thee ppm should be for a koi pond