• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Little Guy Isnít Getting any Better

Rablalock is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Little Guy Isnít Getting any Better

I noticed one of my small koi in one of my in QT suddenly had color loss on the top of his head and then some redness on the sides, any idea what this is? Water Paramters check out all good with no ammonia and nitrites.
      Things Iíve noticed are slime coat is still slimy and not keeping its fins clamped in.

(adding better pictures)
      Last edited by Rablalock; 3 Days Ago at 11:17 AM.

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

How large is the pond? How many fish? How old is the pond and filters? Can you give us the numerical value of the pH, KH, temperature? How long have you had the fish?

Looking at the pictures, I can't tell anything about any redness on the sides, but the top view picture shows what looks to be heavy slime coat on and near the head giving the hazy appearance. The heavy slime coat can be caused by water quality, like high ammonia causing burns, high or low pH causing alkaline burns or acid burns. It could be due to parasites, like costia. The thick slime coat causes listed can also remove the slime coat on the sides, making the fishes skin subject to the same burns or parasites.

In addition to giving us some of the additional information requested above, I would suggest getting as a "just in case" Proform C and either Prazi or Fluke M, which will take care of the parasites. It is much easier and cheaper to fix the water, and if the water is the problem all the parasite treatments in the world won't help, so lets start with a thorough investigation of the water, while the parasite treatments are being gotten.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The quarantine tank is 300 gallons located in my garage, there are 3 fish ranging from 3-6in, and the filters are about 8months old. Iv had the fish for about a month now and quarantine it with BSDT and Fluke M and didn’t see any signs of sickness then until now.
      Parameters:
      Ammonia:0
      Nitrite:0
      Ph 7.6
      KH:1

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The only number that is problematic to me is the KH. Of course in a garage, the tank is probably not subject to the diurnal pH swings from morning to evening, but with that little buffer, it could be. Check pH early morning a late afternoon to see if there is any swing that could be causing this. If so, raise the kH with baking soda to at least 6 drops to provide pH stability. If not, then retreat with the BSDT and Fluke M.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The Ph has remained from 7.5-7.6 through out the day/night. I have just begun the treatment of BSDT now and noticed today it has a small notch in the nose(may have been there before but never noticed it), i checked the gills and they look very fleshy. i am wondering if coastia might be the cause here now?
      Last edited by Rablalock; 4 Days Ago at 02:23 AM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

Costia will dehydrate the koi, causing the notch in th4e nose and a significant reduction in the amount of slime coat. BSDT should take care of that.

Zone 7 A/B
      Richard

kby103 is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Can you expand on what you mean by the gills being "fleshy"?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

A Very deep reddish color. So far the BSDT has started to clear up the top a little bit and no more redness on the sides.