• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Contaminated Water Sample

cahriad is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Contaminated Water Sample

Yesterday I got really abnormal water test results and was surprised as my pond is pretty stable. After pondering the problem I pulled a set of unused test tubes and a fresh pipette and retested. Everything showed normal so I dumped all my previously used tubes and pipettes and the beaker I use for taking the sample. This is the first time that this has happened so I was curious, should I be doing something other than flushing with tap water after use or should I be dumping the sampling equipment after so many uses?

My2butterflies is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Interesting... I’ve had to use distilled water to rinse my test tubes to get more accurate results. Even doing that though I wonder how accurate they are.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

I just put the test tubes in the dishwasher after use and I don't use a pipette. Just fill and flip
      water till I'm on the mark. I don't think it's necessary to toss everything each time though.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Hot hot hot!!!!!

Feeling:
      Awesome

I'll bleach and rinse mine several times after a few uses. I break too many tubes accidentally to throw them away. You can also "acid wash" using vinegar, it will remove residue.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by nmtsaki View Post
      I'll bleach and rinse mine several times after a few uses. I break too many tubes accidentally to throw them away. You can also "acid wash" using vinegar, it will remove residue.
      I dip mine in vinegar overnight and later rinse then in freshwater from the tap, hang them upside down to dry.