• Tired

Thread: Fish Not Growing

True Blue is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Fish Not Growing

Hello.

I've made a few posts about our previously very unhealthy pond and one particularly sick fish, now recovered.

Now our pond is as healthy as it could be. Ammonia and Nitrites are always zero, no matter how much we seems to feed. Nitrates could be better, but I've resigned myself to not being able to keep them under at least 60. Ph and KH are fine.

So with the improved pond health, I've actually been feeding more, but carefully monitoring levels to make sure we're not going to get our pond sick again. I'm feeding three times per day, but only enough so that all of the food is eaten withing about 2 minutes. The fish are always ravenous and when I walk to the end of the pond where we feed, it's like watching Marlin Perkins (if you're old you'll get the reference) showing a pond of pirahnnas attacking an animal.

We'd like to see our fish grow, which obviously involves feeding them more, but they always seem to stay the same size. The pond has been healthy for only about a month. The activity of the fish is greatly increased, so they're using more calories. I've afraid to increase the feeding to four times a day for fear of raising nitrates more, but that's probably the next step.

I suppose I'm asking the experts here if they think I should just be happy with what we've got, or go ahead and feed a fourth time per day as long as the pond levels stay good. What do you folks think?

There's also the problem of doing frequent water changes in drought stricken California.....which seems to be the only way to keep nitrates in check. Which brings me to another topic......reusing water from backflushes and water changes. Anyone have any suggestions? Can't route it to our sprinkler system.....debris would clog the sprinkler heads. Into a barrel hooked to a hose with a pump and hand water?

Thank you in advance for all replies.

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

people vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better
      My advice would be to leave CA. Do you know that they are going to be limiting water usage to about 55 gallons per day, per person? Unless you are willing to spend the money on water and feed your Koi way more then they will never grow. It is your choice. Even four times a day, for two minutes, will not provide favorable results.

You could put your Koi waste water in a big water tank and let the solids settle out before using it on your landscaping. The other option is to just get rid of your landscaping.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

Paultergeist is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

My, my....... that was certainly some cheerful, helpful, reasonable advice.

Miss living in California much, Russell?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

people vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better
      Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
      My, my....... that was certainly some cheerful, helpful, reasonable advice.

Miss living in California much, Russell?
      It never surprises me when you chime in, no advice? Why are you even responding? I gave good sound advise. Feed more, change water more and your Koi will grow. You just chimed in to scold me.
      Last edited by Russell Peters; 2 Days Ago at 12:33 PM.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

kevin32 is online now Supporting Member
      is chillin

Feeling:
      Friendly

There are plenty of people winning grow out competitions in so cal. I've had some fish for 4 years and have grown little while others are putting on good growth. Maybe you need to get some koi with potential to grow bigger.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      It never surprises me when you come in, no advice? Why are you even responding? I gave good sound advise. Feed more, change water more and your Koi will grow. You just chimed in to scold me.
      Not trying to scold, Russ......more just trying to have a little fun.....your post sounded pretty “down” on California.....first time I ever read someone give the advice to relocate to a different state entirely in order to sort out a Koi issue......seemed pretty extreme.

But.....I’ll accept the constructive aspect of your criticism. So....advice.....though I am hardly in my area of expertise here, would be to consider several parameters: age of the fish (as that can certainly have an influence on growth prospects), genetics of the fish, feeding routine, food type, stocking levels of the pond, and yes, water quality and water changes. If growth is the desired outcome, I think those — collectively — would be the first things I think should be considered.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

......I gave good sound advise. Feed more, change water more and your Koi will grow.
      I must have missed this from a post in a different thread.......I didn’t see this information conveyed in your initial post above.

My apologies if you gave this advice elsewhere (in an earlier thread.)....I was simply unaware of it.

OCkoiFan is online now Supporting Member
      is Don’t let yesterday use
      up too much of today

Feeling:
      Cool

Give them a little higher protein level
      I think youíre feeding haifeng quick growth right? Upgrade to Alife for more qualities and results
      I fed my herd 10x a day with an auto feeder as of now

And now Iím hesitating on making the pond bigger
      CA suck at some point I do agree but the weather buy me out
      Last edited by OCkoiFan; 2 Days Ago at 12:49 PM.
      M.Nguyen

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I must have missed this from a post in a different thread.......I didnít see this information conveyed in your initial post above.

My apologies if you gave this advice elsewhere (in an earlier thread.)....I was simply unaware of it.
      Of course you missed it, here is it. In fact the OP even mentioned that he knew feeding them more is the way to go but didn't want to use the water.

From my original post - "Unless you are willing to spend the money on water and feed your Koi way more then they will never grow."

From OP's original post - "We'd like to see our fish grow, which obviously involves feeding them more,"

"There's also the problem of doing frequent water changes in drought stricken California."

If you live in a State, where they say water is scarce, but they will allow you to use as much as you want for your fish as long as you pay for it, then you either, need to use the water and feed your fish to get them to grow, or move to a more water friendly State. That is my opinion and I shared it. I know for a fact that the OP can use the water, as I contacted my water authority when we had drastic measures imposed on us, and the response was I could use as much as I wanted to as it was for living creatures. I only had to pay for it, fines included. You all have that choice so if you don't want to do it, don't, but don't expect your Koi will grow unless you feed them and use water.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by OCkoiFan View Post
      I think you’re feeding haifeng quick growth right? Upgrade to Alife for more qualities and results

And now I’m hesitating on making the pond bigger
      You don't need a bigger pond to get better results. This is a common misconception. I know someone that did that, didn't increase water usage, but increased the number of Koi, and had disastrous results. You can raise champion Koi, very large Koi, in a very small pond, if you know how to feed and use a lot of fresh water.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Not trying to scold, Russ......more just trying to have a little fun.....your post sounded pretty “down” on California.....first time I ever read someone give the advice to relocate to a different state entirely in order to sort out a Koi issue......seemed pretty extreme.

But.....I’ll accept the constructive aspect of your criticism. So....advice.....though I am hardly in my area of expertise here, would be to consider several parameters: age of the fish (as that can certainly have an influence on growth prospects), genetics of the fish, feeding routine, food type, stocking levels of the pond, and yes, water quality and water changes. If growth is the desired outcome, I think those — collectively — would be the first things I think should be considered.
      It is what we did and we have a lot of water and it is very, very inexpensive.

True Blue is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by OCkoiFan View Post
      I think youíre feeding haifeng quick growth right? Upgrade to Alife for more qualities and results

And now Iím hesitating on making the pond bigger
      Auto-Feeder, huh? Never occurred to me that was an option. I will look. Any recommendations?

Will try different foods.

Not gonna leave CA or OC. Weather can't be beat, and all our income is derived from rental property we own in the area. It is WAY too crowded, though.

We have a nice waterfront home in Mexico we just listed for sale.....where the water comes on in four hour blocks three times per week.....sometimes.....at very low pressure. So we know about rationing. Right on the water. Only get hit by hurricanes about every 5 years. We're done.

Rationing to 55 gallons per day is not coming soon. El Nino will hopefully fill the reservoirs this year without being too harmful to residents, crops, etc.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
      Auto-Feeder, huh? Never occurred to me that was an option. I will look. Any recommendations?

Will try different foods.

Not gonna leave CA or OC. Weather can't be beat, and all our income is derived from rental property we own in the area. It is WAY too crowded, though.

We have a nice waterfront home in Mexico we just listed for sale.....where the water comes on in four hour blocks three times per week.....sometimes.....at very low pressure. So we know about rationing. Right on the water. Only get hit by hurricanes about every 5 years. We're done.

Rationing to 55 gallons per day is not coming soon. El Nino will hopefully fill the reservoirs this year without being too harmful to residents, crops, etc.
      It is already signed into law and starts as soon as 2022.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/...with-new-laws/

up too much of today

Feeling:
      Cool

Best value so far for me https://m.drsfostersmith.com/product...m?pcatid=14436
      4x a day and you can still hand feed a few times
      M.Nguyen

coolwon is offline Senior Member
      is Garfield is my name DIY is my
      game

Feeling:
      Cool

You cannot go wrong by adding an adequately sized air pump with matching air stones.

Get the surface water boiling and your fish will have a new lease on life.

Garfield
      Find more about Weather in Durban, ZA

up too much of today

Feeling:
      Cool

You don't need a bigger pond to get better results. This is a common misconception. I know someone that did that, didn't increase water usage, but increased the number of Koi, and had disastrous results. You can raise champion Koi, very large Koi, in a very small pond, if you know how to feed and use a lot of fresh water.
      Well I’ve been trying the impossible for the last five years with my small pond
      Almost there
      M.Nguyen