• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: How long do Koi live?

DebiCraig is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How long do Koi live?

How many of you have had Koi that lived passed 20 year old? I currently have a Koi, “Pearl” that is 28 years old. She has been very healthy, but this year has developed an ulcer that comes and goes on her head. I have a pond that is 8,000 gallons and there is no way to pull her out without draining the entire pond down to bottom to pull her out. I have treated with Prazi and Dimillin as a safe treatment, but have not done a ProFormC treatment this year because everyone else looks good and no issues with water quality. I have it and can do that next week followed with Prazi again. Any suggestions? It’s very strang because one day she looks good and then the next the ulcer is present. She is eating and seems fine, no weird behavior what so ever.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Any pictures?
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Any pictures?
      No, it’s too dark out. But I can do this in the morning..

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

I had one live almost 35 years.

Matt24 is offline Senior Member
      is watchin' em grow

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by DebiCraig View Post
      How many of you have had Koi that lived passed 20 year old?
      Rudy (picture from last year) is 22 and counting.

Name:  Rudy_6-2017.JPG
Views: 296
Size:  93.4 KB

I currently have a Koi, “Pearl” that is 28 years old. She has been very healthy, but this year has developed an ulcer that comes and goes on her head. I have a pond that is 8,000 gallons and there is no way to pull her out without draining the entire pond down to bottom to pull her out.
      Congratulations on keeping Pearl to that age! I put on a headlamp and catch my koi from my 12,000 gallon pond at night. It's much easier because they can't see the net, but they can still "feel" it coming. My pond is very wide, too much for the pole of most koi nets. So I shove the koi net into the shaft of a big swimming pool extension pole. That way, I can reach almost every spot in the pond.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I just took this picture this morning. For some reason, I can only post one pic at a time...if you need more, I have them. I think my first course of action may be ProFormC followed by Prazi. Honestly, netting Pearl would be very challenging and stressful on her and me. This sore on her head looks like it keeps breaking open and then it heals up. Again, water parameters are all good. Name:  EFEC63D7-41B0-40DE-9F22-29357C7F92ED.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  130.0 KB

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Hi Deb, what is your stocking level? What are you feeding them, how often and how much?
      Thanks
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Stocking level for 8,000 gallons is hard to say since koi did spawn a few times this year. I see many small koi swimming around. I have approx. 12 25” koi in the pond right now with many small ones. I have been feeding my Koi Healthy Koi Fortified Food with Color from Bill at Michigan Koi. Three times a day. If you go online, you can read what’s in it, but I have very happy with this food, however, it is very expensive so I starting adding BlackWater Premium food to their diet. They also get Healthy Koi Silkworm Pupae as treats on occasion. This also comes from Bill at Michigan Koi. They also love to eat oranges...on occasion. I have many waterlies, water lettuce in the pond too. I have a UV light, but not turned because the pond is so crystal clear.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Rudy looks like my sweet “Benny” who passed away at 17 years old....I still miss him...

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

I just took this picture this morning. For some reason, I can only post one pic at a time...if you need more, I have them. I think my first course of action may be ProFormC followed by Prazi. Honestly, netting Pearl would be very challenging and stressful on her and me. This sore on her head looks like it keeps breaking open and then it heals up. Again, water parameters are all good.
      Without pulling her from the pond your options are pretty limited. If you do get to that point in the future
      you might get some Tricide-Neo to have on hand. But if just shotgunning, ProForm-C and Prazi/Fluke-M is
      a pretty good place to start imo.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

phil hunter is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have a Chagoi I purchased in 1987 when it was about 6" long. Still going strong today.

Phil

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      Without pulling her from the pond your options are pretty limited. If you do get to that point in the future
      you might get some Tricide-Neo to have on hand. But if just shotgunning, ProForm-C and Prazi/Fluke-M is
      a pretty good place to start imo.
      I know my options are limited....thank you... I will start with ProFormC and Prazi...see how it goes...fingers-crossed...

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by phil hunter View Post
      I have a Chagoi I purchased in 1987 when it was about 6" long. Still going strong today.

Phil
      Wow...seriously? 31 years old...that is amazing!

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Hot hot hot!!!!!

Feeling:
      Awesome

I think my koi are about 10 years old. I'm gauging their age, because I joined this forum in 2007, and that's when I either purchased them either the year before or that same year. I can't seem to remember. However that being said, they were two years old at the time I got them so that makes them about 20-21, old enough to drink!!!! Geez I didn't really realize they were so old. How time flies.

Keep us posted on how Pearl is doing. If you need to pull her, a seine net is very helpful. Just need a few people to help corral her into a smaller area in the pond that is drained partially. Might be easier on both of you. I have the same problem, I would need some pretty strong people to get any of my fish out of there.
      Last edited by nmtsaki; 08-16-2018 at 03:44 PM.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

lukef is offline king of the lilliputians
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

a 01 circle hook with the barb crimped down should do the trick.... you think it is to rough? considering the options it ain't. If she needs medicating she needs medicating more than she does remaining in the situation she is.
      "Those aren't poodles. They're Dobermans with afros."

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Last day of three day treatment (ProFormC) first two days and today (ProFormC and Prazi). Noticed considerable flashing going on once treatment was added to pond. Hopefully, it stops. I didn’t notice any flashing the first two days, but today with the addition of Prazi I wonder if they all did have Flukes. Pearl’s sore on her head has healed up and no visible open sores at this time. Crossing-fingers.