• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: What's Wrong with the Eyes?

True Blue is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What's Wrong with the Eyes?

I posted about a month ago about our very sick and long neglected pond, and in particular, the health of one particular koi.

The pond is now in great shape, well maintained, healthy water, good levels, and the very sick koi is doing well now, with the exception of its eyes.

To summarize, as a result of a long neglected pond, one koi was lethargic, spent all its time on the bottom, rarely moving, wouldn't even eat. I suspected parasites, treated the pond repeatedly with Nox-Ich, and the fish was immediately doing much better, although I noticed that it was blind and bumping into walls, other fish, etc. At the same time, also did major water changes, bought a test kit, backflushed long-neglected filter, did much better job of clearing bottom of leaves, etc. Pond and all fish overall are doing SO much better, but one big problem remains with what was the really sick koi.

Attached are photos of the koi's eyes. After being completely blind in both eyes, it now has at least partial vision in its left eye, but I suspect it's still completely blind in it's right eye. I'm not sure exactly what the condition is, whether it's treatable, and if so, how to treat it. The fish is active, schools, can see food well enough to eat, etc. But I'd like to clear up the left eye problem if possible.

So.....please take a look at the photos and let me know the diagnosis and whether it's treatable.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Name:  MVIMG_20180809_101348 - Copy.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  72.7 KB
      Name:  IMG_20180809_103759 - Copy.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  49.0 KB

rainblood is online now Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

cataracts?
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Hot hot hot!!!!!

Feeling:
      Awesome

I have heard of this condition before and did a quick Google search, it can be due to injury, cataracts, bacterial issues, etc., also chemical exposure.

http://www.koicrisis.com/symptoms/eye.html#.W2y16dEpChA

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

True Blue is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I e-mailed a fish vet who told me it is likely a cataract which I never noticed before. So I suppose the fish is as healthy as it's gonna be.

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If it is on the surface of the eye then it is bacterial.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better