• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Warn Temps and Cool Whites

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

Warn Temps and Cool Whites

August in SW Florida can be what some call "oppressive". For me...I say enjoy the tropical conditions while you can, cold weather will be here before you know it. Some cool,white blooms were strutting their stuff today and I have to say they fall into the 'rarely seen' category...mostly 'cause whites aren't generally the most favorite of blooms. But here we have two natives.....the white form of Hibiscus coccineus, more frequently seen sold as the red swamp Hibiscus and the species lily Nymphaea ampla; south Florida being the northern limit of its range. The green pads and bottom white bloom are from the white form of N. colorata. This lily was the talk of the IWGS symposium in 2002 but never seemed to gather much traction. It does make some attractive hybrids. Dr. William Phillips used it to make the first acknowledged ISH cross when he crossed 'White Colorata' with N. gigantea.
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

stephen is offline Koiphen Member
      WWKC Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #2
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Nice Craig! The red ones are thick like weeds here and very beautiful. I think they call them scarlet swamp hibiscus here? My back yard is the swamp and I will try to get some pictures I think they only grow in 6-7 southern states?

gray cat is offline Administrator
      is looking forward to Spring

Feeling:
      Happy

Very pretty. I love the last lily bloom.
      Nancy

Koiphen 2013 Koi Person of the Year!

little_mikey is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Very nice pics. Really is oppressively hot.

Wish more people where growing plants like white colorata. I can't imagine why it isn't available anywhere as it is both attractive and easy to propagate (I assume similar to blue). The 2nd/3rd day flowers are nice too.

two_wheeled is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Meh

....but it's a dry heat....
      Wish I had something other than scorched earth pictures to share.
      Name:  20180806_130042-1.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  150.8 KB

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

This is the wild Hibiscus that grows near the river around here. There were lots blooming but could get no clear shots of any but this one lone one growing near the road.
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

Koiphen 2018 Koi Person of the Year!

OK.TN.

Feeling:
      Amused

There is another Hibiscus relative native here in sw FL, Pavonia spinifex. It is primarily a Caribbean genus, but spinifex does range this far. As for white lilies,I am a big fan of species lilies, species plants in general, really. But even I will admit there are impressive hybrids that do outshine the species whites. If there is one exception that comes quickly to mind it is Nymphaea immutabilis. A gorgeous white lily; the inner white petals are accented by a row of deeply colored outer petals. I'll link to an article tin Water Gardener's International, by noted expert Rich Sacher. http://www.watergardenersinternation...ich/page1.html
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

Wiscdude is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Love the whites. I wish N. 'William Phillips' was on the market. Is it exctinct Craig?

Feeling:
      Amused

I am partial to whites as well. Did I ever send you immutabilis? I have one ready to bloom that should have a tuber....this is pure stock grown from seed Andre Leu sent , no blue overtones past the first row of petals. As for N. 'William Phillips' , boy that seems so long ago now. My sense is that it is extinct...I am not sure there was ever more than the one. William was a savant when it came to growing seedlings, but for some reason, he was unable to grow tubers. So, while I am not saying it didn't, I have no idea if a second 'William Phillips' ever existed. Landon doesn't seem to have it in his pond, so I suspect that lovely lily never made it out of Memphis.

Craig

Wiscdude is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
      I am partial to whites as well. Did I ever send you immutabilis? I have one ready to bloom that should have a tuber....this is pure stock grown from seed Andre Leu sent , no blue overtones past the first row of petals. As for N. 'William Phillips' , boy that seems so long ago now. My sense is that it is extinct...I am not sure there was ever more than the one. William was a savant when it came to growing seedlings, but for some reason, he was unable to grow tubers. So, while I am not saying it didn't, I have no idea if a second 'William Phillips' ever existed. Landon doesn't seem to have it in his pond, so I suspect that lovely lily never made it out of Memphis.
      You sent me immutabilis a few years ago but like William, I was not very good with tubering plants back then. I have learned lately it is easy by planting in 4 inch pots and then starving the plant. Rich's method. With my short season I usually am just focused on growing out my plants so that I can make crosses to get seed. Although I successfully grew out some Aussies in my climate, my space is so limited that I don't think in the future I will do it. I need to save space for all my new hybrids that I grow from seed every year. I do think it would be great though if we could work something out and send a tuber to Mobot. I am sending a couple of plants there soon. When I corresponded with Derek Lyle, he said species plants are always appreciated. I am hopefully going to be able to deliver them in person in 2 weeks. I am planning to make the 7 hour drive but family issues may prevent me from doing so. We will see. I just love Mobot and as you know I have donated plants to them before. They take such good care of Pring's genuine hybrids, it is such a treat to see his work. You can tell that they really respect the water lilies and have a great system to preserve them.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007