• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Chagoi Question

rayjay is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Chagoi Question

Does anyone know whether the friendliness of a Chagoi would be different between a standard fin or a longfin?
      ....."Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.".....Mark Twain

MikeM is offline Super Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Chagoi are observed to be less fearful of people compared to many varieties. Some say the same is true of Mukashi Ogon. Although it is frequently said that Chagoi are closer to the wild carp of Japan than other varieties, it is not accurate. It is thought likely that Chagoi trace back to the Doro Magoi rather than the Asagi-Magoi or Tetsu-Magoi. However, Doro-Magoi are not friendly. The 'friendliness' trait more likely comes from a cross with the German food carp, which is notable for being a greedy consumer of food and less skittish than wild carp. There are certain similarities with the German food carp as to body shape, appetite, fast growth, lack of fear, height of shoulder and full body form. The wild Magoi, whether of the Asagi, Tetsu or Doro type have a more slender body form and less body height, more like an old-style Matsunosuke Sanke, and all have a natural wariness. Some will say that Chagoi seem friendlier simply because they are such greedy eaters their hunger overcomes their fear. I think it goes hand-in-hand. I mostly feed sinking food. I notice no difference in consumption when all the koi feel safe eating at the bottom of the pond. There is a difference when they must come to the surface.

No definite answer to why Chagoi seem friendlier is possible, but too many have observed that they are friendlier to doubt that point.

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Although it contradicts most anecdotal evidence , i think "friendliness" is a crap shoot. While I believe a greater percentage of chagoi are "friendlier" than other varieties, not all chagoi are "friendly" and not all asagi are skittish. And 1 friendly koi in a pond will change the behavioral dynamics of the entire pond. For instance I got an INC sanke tosai last year that is SO food aggressive. Now everyone races her to the food. I went from an 8 year old herd of skittish fish to a pond full of "friendly" pigs just by adding a sanke.

audioenvy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
      No definite answer to why Chagoi seem friendlier is possible, but too many have observed that they are friendlier to doubt that point.
      I don't think friendly is the right word. Monochromatic fish are typically bred to get very large, which means they must have a very strong desire to eat. That desire means that chagoi and other monochromatic fish take more risks than other fish in an attempt to get more food.

This is anecdotal but I have two karashi that were 5" and 6" long when I got them in November. They stayed in my QT tank over the winter because they were too small for the main pond. They ate from my hand freely and it basically became the ONLY way they ate. I could lift them up out of the water they were so "friendly" toward me.

When I moved them to the main pond this spring, they definitely continued to eat a lot but based on how I feed the main pond there was no need for them to come up to me. When I'm not feeding, they are still eating algae from the liner pretty much all day long. The biggest one is 22" long now. They will no longer hand feed because they no longer have a need to hand feed. As an experiment, I moved one of them back into the QT for a few days and it immediately ate from my hand--because that was the only way for it to get food.

My belief is it's not about being friendly, it's about being hungry.
      Last edited by audioenvy; 08-07-2018 at 10:40 AM.