• Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Koi not coming up to eat

Weathergirl is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Lost one koi today... heartbroken... I'm hoping the other 2 can make it through.

Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How deep is your pond on the shallow end and your deep end.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Water conditions have improved but lost my oldest koi... I'm heartsick. Watching the other 2...

icu2 is online now Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

I'm sorry for your losses.
      What are your water tests saying?
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

I know the feeling. From your other thread you said you've had this established pond for 7 years without any problems. So you've been doing really good until recently. How often have you been checking your water parameters all along? Did you start skipping these tests before the problem set in? Could you also post what your water parameters are now including nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, KH, PH in the morning and PH in the the afternoon, and water temperatures am and pm? How much water are you changing and how often. It would be great if you could post picture of you pond, fish and filter. It would also be great if you could post parameters of your water supply including again nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, kh, ph, water temp, but also including chlorine level. If you don't have chlorine test I think a local fish store should be able to test for this for free. Make sure you are following the instructions that came with your test kit. Anything abnormal will have to be checked with another test kit...or again, LFS may help.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

I will post water parameters in morning. I've been regular with water changes and testing and things were fine until this summer. The only thing I'd never checked was kh... and I learned the importance of that on here when this whole water problem began with the ph crash. I've been lucky to have gone all these years without one I guess.
      The pond is 3.5 feet at deep end and 1.5 feet in shallow. I'll post pics tomorrow as well. Thank you everyone!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Water is as follows...ammonia betw 0 and .25ppm, nitrite 0, nitrate betw 0 and 20ppm, ph 7.5, and kg 180ppm. The other 2 koi are swimming and nibblingat the vines around the edge. I'll attach some pics. The filter intake is at the shallow end near the fountain. The filter empties back into the deep end as can be seen in pic. The pond is about 600 gallons... maybe a bit less. I've never had more than three 3 koi, and they've only ever been fed once a day in the morning.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Name:  20180817_071334.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  148.2 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Name:  20180817_071111.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  336.1 KB

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Name:  20180817_071048.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  329.8 KB

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Weathergirl View Post
      Water is as follows...ammonia betw 0 and .25ppm, nitrite 0, nitrate betw 0 and 20ppm, ph 7.5, and kg 180ppm. The other 2 koi are swimming and nibblingat the vines around the edge. I'll attach some pics. The filter intake is at the shallow end near the fountain. The filter empties back into the deep end as can be seen in pic. The pond is about 600 gallons... maybe a bit less. I've never had more than three 3 koi, and they've only ever been fed once a day in the morning.
      Thanks Weathergirl for the info and the nice pictures. Was that ph of 7.5 taken in the morning and are you using the high range API ph test kit. This high range kit is much accurate. If not to getting one would be the next order of business. Then you need to take the ph in the morning and the afternoon especially in the afternoons when it is really sunny. Also need the temperature of water both in the morning and the afternoon. Very glad to know that the 2 other koi are swimming and nibbling. Looks like you have green water (depicted by the water coming out of that fountain). Is that a new occurrence?
      Also there is a lot of foam going on around the fountain. Is this also new?
      Last edited by KoiRun; 08-17-2018 at 01:11 PM.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Thank you for your post, first of all. I've never used the high range ph test... only the regular. I just checked and the high range ph is 8. Water temp is 75. The water from the fountain is really not green...I think it looks that way from the angle of pic. The bubbles around the fountain have always been there. Both koi still swimming about today. Just another fyi that we've had 3 significant heavy rain events this summer... the most recent being 8" of rain in less than 48 hours. And yes...I typically test water in the morning very early.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Good morning all... water levels are still good. One koi acting as if nothing has happened. The other, however, is not showing himself as much and I've yet to catch him eating.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12