• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Does chemicals from koi food leach into the water and is it harmful?

hypersushi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Question Does chemicals from koi food leach into the water and is it harmful?

I am keeping food fish in a tank that gets its water source from the same koi pond. The water recirculates back to the pond. Am even thinking of growing vegetables the aquaponics way by using the same water. My question is, does chemicals in koi food leach into the water column. And if it does, is it harmful to humans or is it negligible? I do regular flushing and feed my kois with some Saki Hikari Colour, Growth and mainly Wheatgerm.

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

The only chemicals added to koi food are vitamins and minerals. Both needed, and neither problematic. They are added after the formation and cooking of the pellets as they some are heat sensitive. Depending on the food, the vitamins and minerals are mixed with an oil and sprayed onto the food pellets and with those, you will occasionally find an oil slick following feeding. Not a problem.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard