• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Any issues associated with using small amounts of distilled water?

Muddywaters is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Any issues associated with using small amounts of distilled water?

We've had a very humid summer and my ac unit produces ~10 gallons/day. I use pond water towater plantsand replace with the distilled ac water. My pond is 1500 gallons with 4 shubunkins and 4 koi.

MitchM is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What your a/c produces is not distilled water, it produces condensed water which contains many impurities from the surrounding air, including any oxidation from the a/c evaporator coil. The coil could be copper, aluminum or stainless steel. I would not recommend diverting it to a pond.

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is is freezing her buns off

Feeling:
      Cool

Even if it were distilled water, I would not recommend using it because the fish need the ions that are present in tapwater or "impure" water, such as calcium, sodium, chloride, potassium, etc. if you put snails in with RO or really pure distilled water, their shells gradually dissolve, because the pure water leaches the ions from their shell into it. I imagine it would be unhealthy for fish, in the same vein.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
      What your a/c produces is not distilled water, it produces condensed water which contains many impurities from the surrounding air, including any oxidation from the a/c evaporator coil. The coil could be copper, aluminum or stainless steel. I would not recommend diverting it to a pond.
      Toe mate oh, toe mah toe
      http://tuxgraphics.org/npa/distilled...-from-your-AC/

MitchM is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Some random website on the internet doesn't change the definition of distilled water.

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

The article mentioned in post 4 also recommends filtering through a coffee filter to remove dust and boiling the water to kill microbes from the air. If you have to do these measures why bother. They also don't discuss possible corrosion often found on older units and effect on water quality. Probably safe for pond and watering plants use but questionable for other household uses.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      The article mentioned in post 4 also recommends filtering through a coffee filter to remove dust and boiling the water to kill microbes from the air. If you have to do these measures why bother. They also don't discuss possible corrosion often found on older units and effect on water quality. Probably safe for pond and watering plants use but questionable for other household uses.
      What will we do when it rains?!

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Muddywaters View Post
      What will we do when it rains?!
      Just follow the instructions of the article you posted. Huge difference collecting rain water directly in a clean container vs collecting off roofs.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by BWG; 08-14-2018 at 10:01 PM.

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It's fine. Sheez, what's next, boiling your koi food to eliminate germs? Using wet-wipes on pond equipment? Putting clear plastic sheet over the pond to keep dust away? Better not have any dogs or cats around. Ugh, no wonder koi - and people - are getting more susceptible to germs by being kept in bubbles.

Feeling:
      Happy

The article discusses making potable water out of dehumidifier water and their recomended measures. Easier to water the plants with it or dump it into the pond with no treatment. As for rain water I have downspouts into tiles running to large mud ponds but too much crap washes off the roof to think about doing this in a small koi pond...

I didn't post the article.
      Last edited by BWG; 08-14-2018 at 10:11 PM.