• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mickey Mouse Taro (Xanthosoma monstruosum)

rcmike is offline Supporting Member
      is Still learning every day!

Feeling:
      Embarrased

Quote Originally Posted by gray cat View Post
      The leaves are shaped like a head with mouse ears. Like Mickey Mouse.
      I thought maybe that was it but it seemed like a stretch to me. I really don't see it.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

gander is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~ 2018 KPOTY
      is birds flying high you know how
      I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

I am not sure why its named that Nancy has the best answer it also has a little tail too. Who knows though everything has too have a name right?
      "most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

Koiphen 2018 Koi Person of the Year!

OK.TN.

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by gander View Post
      I am not sure why its named that Nancy has the best answer it also has a little tail too. Who knows though everything has too have a name right?
      Nice..I never noticed that until you mentioned it.
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

rcmike is offline Supporting Member
      is Still learning every day!

Feeling:
      Embarrased

Quote Originally Posted by gander View Post
      If you really want to see some weird names look at some of the names they are giving corals lately. Gorilla nipples zoanthids, rainbow boobies chalice, rastas zooanthids, moldy bologna chalice, etc. I can actually see the rastas because of the colors and the moldy bologna actually looks like moldy bologna. The other two...Well I don't see it.

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

Years ago I spoke with the man in charge of the lab at Agri-Starts and asked him why they didn't tissue culture the 'Mickey Mouse' taro. He explained it didn't work well, somewhere south of 5% MM was all they would get out of a 72 cell tray, the rest would be normal Xanthosoma atrovirens. There are different ways plants can be variegated, if it is genetic, them it does culture, but he told me in this case it was a chimera....the plant contained two different genotypes. The presumption is that a cell near the tip of the apical meristem (the growing tip) mutated causing the variegation in the now second type of tissue. Maybe the mutation can also cause rippling in the tissue under certain conditions? Chimeral variegation, he explained, does not TC well, as when they extract tissue from the apical meristem, most does not contain the mutation. Viruses can also use variegation, but viral variegation is rare and not stable, so usually reverts to normal. I have never had a Mickey revert, have you?
      Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is. And you must bend to its power or live a lie.”― Miyamoto Musashi

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

Craig

I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

no I have never had a solid green one but the rest of my alocasia that are variegated do go green from time too time, You have too weed those plants out too keep them from taking over, I dont think any of the alocasia that are variegated can be tissue cultured and I dont think any of the Musa or banana plants can be either,
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

OK.TN.

I feel

Feeling:
      Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
      Years ago I spoke with the man in charge of the lab at Agri-Starts and asked him why they didn't tissue culture the 'Mickey Mouse' taro. He explained it didn't work well, somewhere south of 5% MM was all they would get out of a 72 cell tray, the rest would be normal Xanthosoma atrovirens. There are different ways plants can be variegated, if it is genetic, them it does culture, but he told me in this case it was a chimera....the plant contained two different genotypes. The presumption is that a cell near the tip of the apical meristem (the growing tip) mutated causing the variegation in the now second type of tissue. Maybe the mutation can also cause rippling in the tissue under certain conditions? Chimeral variegation, he explained, does not TC well, as when they extract tissue from the apical meristem, most does not contain the mutation. Viruses can also use variegation, but viral variegation is rare and not stable, so usually reverts to normal. I have never had a Mickey revert, have you?
      Craig I have an answer for you. Xanthosoma atrovirens 'Variegatum Monstrosum aka Mickey Mouse taro has been Irradiated and thats why it never reverts too solid green. Now I wonder why they cant do that too the Alocasia that do revert?
      still in them."
      I wish I could sing

OK.TN.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12