• Tired
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Question about Jets on a gravity filtration system

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by headman View Post
      Look Russel ... I’m no idiot and I don’t believe they are working out in the **** pond ... It’s a FACT the stronger the current (rather then NONE) makes the fish swim more then just being static. If you have nothing but smart aleck or sarcastic comments then how about go troll someone else’s post.
      Actually, I wasn't even referring to you on my comments, but after reading everything I see how you would think it was, I was referring to all the arguments I had for years with other people who used to insist that installing jets was necessary as Koi had to exercise so they could build muscle and bulk up. It was hysterical cause Koi eat food and get fat, that is how they bulk up. So, I wasn't really clear and I apologize for that, the comment was not meant to be about you.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I’m attacking people?

I come here for help with the Jets ... Nothing else. My pond IS working out beside the jets. I’m no professional but I think it has turned out great so far. stated fish like current and people think it’s funny... but I don’t think they took in consideration the shape and depth because if they did they would understand there will be many dead spots. Jets help with this and to push debris to the skimmer.

I do appreciate all the helpful information many have provided and it gives me options to consider. BUT I do not appreciate the few rude people that think it’s funny to make fun of someone looking for help. Just because they do not agree with the need of jets doesn’t prove they are not needed in my application. Once people start poking fun of me then all thier credibility goes out the window.

These forums are for people to help each other ... if you can’t do that then why are these people here?

Again ... thank you guys for the great advice and ideas on how to maybe make this work.
      I was serious about individual return lines from your filter. You would obviously have to make all of your pipes larger, on the filter and between the barrels, but you could get more flow that way.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

headman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      I was serious about individual return lines from your filter. You would obviously have to make all of your pipes larger, on the filter and between the barrels, but you could get more flow that way.
      Thanks Russel ... Now about the returns... I only have one pipe returning .. do you mean not to run it through the UV? Sorry I’m having a hard time understanding what you mean.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Russel ... Now about the returns... I only have one pipe returning .. do you mean not to run it through the UV? Sorry I’m having a hard time understanding what you mean.
      No you do need to run it through the UV. I was saying that, if all your returns are gravity flow then breaking them into individual larger pipes would increase the flow but, you bring up something I missed, you only have one pipe going through the UV. Maybe making all of the pipes larger after the UV> Convert them all to individual 1 1/2" lines instead of the 1/2" lines.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      No you do need to run it through the UV. I was saying that, if all your returns are gravity flow then breaking them into individual larger pipes would increase the flow but, you bring up something I missed, you only have one pipe going through the UV. Maybe making all of the pipes larger after the UV> Convert them all to individual 1 1/2" lines instead of the 1/2" lines.
      I have 2 inch coming out of the barrels

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

A few things that will help.

Pumps such as yours are typically generously rated at zero back pressue. Backpressure kills output rather quickly. The pump and filters being 15 feet from the pond plus additional fitting and device resistance you will be lucky to get 1/4 to 1/3 the flow stated.

Item 1 from attached text: If you increase pipe size to 2 inch and reduce it to 1 inch for a jet, gravity flow will be greatly impacted. You might not make it up with the jet.

Item 2 : You can't compensate for resistance caused by the jet by increasing pump output. You are running two separate systems. One is pressurized to the filters powered by a pump and the other is gravity powered by the difference in height of water from the filter to the pond or waterfall. The gravity system must be able to flow a greater quantity than the pump or the filters will overflow.

How much difference in water height in the last filter barrel and discharge to the pond? To the top of the bog waterfall? You will need sufficient drop to power your returns.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Feeling:
      Happy

This appears to be a large pond. Personally I don't think your pump output and filter size are up to the task.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
      A few things that will help.

Pumps such as yours are typically generously rated at zero back pressue. Backpressure kills output rather quickly. The pump and filters being 15 feet from the pond plus additional fitting and device resistance you will be lucky to get 1/4 to 1/3 the flow stated.

Item 1 from attached text: If you increase pipe size to 2 inch and reduce it to 1 inch for a jet, gravity flow will be greatly impacted. You might not make it up with the jet.

Item 2 : You can't compensate for resistance caused by the jet by increasing pump output. You are running two separate systems. One is pressurized to the filters powered by a pump and the other is gravity powered by the difference in height of water from the filter to the pond or waterfall. The gravity system must be able to flow a greater quantity than the pump or the filters will overflow.

How much difference in water height in the last filter barrel and discharge to the pond? To the top of the bog waterfall? You will need sufficient drop to power your returns.

Thanks for the help ... I will have to measure the height of the barrel and the big hasn’t been started being built as of yet. Right now I’m getting around (correction)1500 gph running the pump at 80%. It all does run down hill a little (slopped) back to the pond. I was thinking if I increase the pump to over 80% that it would help make up the difference flowing into the barrels since I would be diverting some of the flow it currently has to the jets if I did tie in the jets at that location. Thanks again for helping me brainstorm
      Last edited by headman; 08-05-2018 at 02:41 PM.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This appears to be a large pond. Personally I don't think your pump output and filter size are up to the task.
      I’m getting around (correction) 1500 gph running at 80% and my barrels are 55 gallons each.. one is a moving bed. Isn’t this overkill on the filtration and enough for the turn over with the pump? I believe my pond is around 4500
      Last edited by headman; 08-05-2018 at 02:40 PM.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

I’m getting around 5400 gph running at 80% and my barrels are 55 gallons each.. one is a moving bed. Isn’t this overkill on the filtration and enough for the turn over with the pump? I believe my pond is around 4500
      I'm curious as to the design of the other two?
      I always had a hard time flowing more than 2-3k gph through my moving beds with K1 due to the
      propensity for the media to collect and plug the outlet of the filters. What do you use as screens on
      the outlets to be able to flow that much?

As the say there's no such thing as too much filtration. It really depends on fish load and feed rate.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by icu2 View Post
      I'm curious as to the design of the other two?
      I always had a hard time flowing more than 2-3k gph through my moving beds with K1 due to the
      propensity for the media to collect and plug the outlet of the filters. What do you use as screens on
      the outlets to be able to flow that much?

As the say there's no such thing as too much filtration. It really depends on fish load and feed rate.
      Thank ya ... I have 2 static and one moving. I have a mixture of about 85% K1 and some “other” media I thought might work well. If it doesn’t I’ll stick to all K1. The other media is little round balls with pieces of filter media inside them. They are almost an inch in diameter I believe. My highest barrel is around 5ft 7 inches because I have to get on my tippy toes to see in it. I cut slits on the outlets as you can see in the photo. I can give more specific measurements if you need.

Feeling:
      Happy

Curious on your filter design plumbing. Is one slotted pipe an "IN" and the other one an "OUT" ?

catfish whiskers is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC President
      is Looking forward to a better
      year

Feeling:
      Friendly

I don’t see how it’s possible to flow as much as You claim through those filters , a 2” line will be lucky to gravity flow 1500 GPH. I believe You are running these barrels in series , which would cut down flow even more . These look like they are based on Wrighty from You tubes design . https://youtu.be/kQQZCmhoAAw

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by catfish whiskers View Post
      I don’t see how it’s possible to flow as much as You claim through those filters , a 2” line will be lucky to gravity flow 1500 GPH. I believe You are running these barrels in series , which would cut down flow even more . These look like they are based on Wrighty from You tubes design . https://youtu.be/kQQZCmhoAAw

You’re right ... I did not calculate the gph correctly. I filled a 5 gallon bucket up in 11.7 to 12 seconds. So that is around 1500 gph at the waterfall. Thank you for pointing this out. I am still debating which option to help push the flow towards the skimmer would be best. I’ll test around with extended out the 2 inch and making an inlet on the backside of the pond as well.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Curious on your filter design plumbing. Is one slotted pipe an "IN" and the other one an "OUT" ?

The two pipes that you see in the photo are outlets to the next barrel.

year

Feeling:
      Friendly

You’re right ... I did not calculate the gph correctly. I filled a 5 gallon bucket up in 11.7 to 12 seconds. So that is around 1500 gph at the waterfall. Thank you for pointing this out. I am still debating which option to help push the flow towards the skimmer would be best. I’ll test around with extended out the 2 inch and making an inlet on the backside of the pond as well.
      Do You have the pump valved ,or adjusted down ?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Do You have the pump valved ,or adjusted down ?
      The pump has a voltage control on it.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Lightbulb

I’m thinking of trying this but I want to see what you all think. So instead of “T-ing” off the jets as they are now. Cut them out completely.... then instead the return line ending at the bog/ waterfalls ...continue it around the back side and have one return flow port (kinda jet-ish) to help push the top half of the pond over to the skimming a little better. I figured since the bog/waterfalls was going to be bottom fed that this would work but I wanted to see what everyone thought.

year

Feeling:
      Friendly

The pump has a voltage control on it.
      Do You have the pump valved , or the voltage control adjusted down ?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Do You have the pump valved , or the voltage control adjusted down ?
      The control unit is votaged based and I believe it’s set at 80% currently.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast