• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 19 of 19

    Thread: Koi Gone White

    1. #1
      BBlom is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      15

      Koi Gone White

      Hi All,

      Was hoping somebody out there has seen something like this and can help. My three year old Goshiki recently and suddenly turned almost completely white. I have attached a picture to show what has happened to him. He was all the dark grey (seen on the on his back near his head) and orange. He had no white on his face. He turned this color almost two months ago, but has always been in good spirits, and still eats like a champ.

      Another bit of information, this happened almost immediately after I lost two koi to what I believe was a blue heron. We didn't see it happen, but had seen the heron a couple different times. He doesn't have any marks on him like he was struck by the heron (or whatever it was).

      Water quality is good and checked weekly:
      Ammonia: 0
      Nitrites: 0
      PH: 7.8
      KH: 5

      Anybody have any thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
      Attached Images Attached Images  

    2. #2
      ademink's Avatar
      ademink is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      Location
      Indianapolis, IN
      Posts
      2,935
      Koi do change color. I have many over the years that look much different than when I purchased them! My best guess is that you are just seeing normal color change.
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member



    3. #3
      BBlom is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      15
      Have you ever seen a koi change color within a week where the almost whole body is affected? This doesn't look normal to me. I've been keeping an eye on him, and like I said before, he doesn't exhibit any strange behavior.

    4. #4
      graybird's Avatar
      graybird is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      San Rafael, CA
      Posts
      1,687
      It is a bit odd to have it change so quickly, but Goshiki can change quite a bit and are notorious for it. Do you have a nitrATe reading? Your KH is pretty low, does it always test at 5?
      Mary

    5. #5
      OCkoiFan's Avatar
      OCkoiFan is online now Supporting Member
      is Don’t let yesterday use
      up too much of today
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      3,363
      How hot is the water temperature recently?
      The red or Beni of the koi can go away very quick in sudden change or high temperature
      82-84f is the warning that we should do something to keep the water cooler
      As for the grey ground this type of koi goshiki is very normal to be like that

    6. #6
      Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Orlando
      Posts
      372
      Sometimes with Goshiki is genes, I know water temps and/or stress also influence beni but it think in your case it has to do with genes I've seen a water change cause this more common than most people think I once brought one back from a show and the beni had completely dissapiared in less than 72hrs.

    7. #7
      BBlom is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      15
      Quote Originally Posted by graybird View Post
      It is a bit odd to have it change so quickly, but Goshiki can change quite a bit and are notorious for it. Do you have a nitrATe reading? Your KH is pretty low, does it always test at 5?
      Thanks for the response!

      I usually only test for nitrate in the winter, as my bog is no longer active and I slow down on the water changes. Between the regular water changes and all the plants I have in the bog, I have never had a nitrate reading - i.e., nitrate=0. That being said, I'll take a reading when I get home to double check.

      Yes, my KH reading is always that low. I know it should be higher, but I'd rather not mess with the pond parameters if I don't need to, and I take the reading every week to make sure .

    8. #8
      BBlom is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      15
      Quote Originally Posted by OCkoiFan View Post
      How hot is the water temperature recently?
      The red or Beni of the koi can go away very quick in sudden change or high temperature
      82-84f is the warning that we should do something to keep the water cooler
      As for the grey ground this type of koi goshiki is very normal to be like that
      Thanks for the reply!

      We have had very warm weather here in Colorado, but it hasn't done much to the pond temps - currently sitting at 72 degrees. My pond gets afternoon sun, but has quite a bit of tree cover. I have never seen temps over 75, even in the hottest of summers.

    9. #9
      BBlom is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      15
      Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
      Sometimes with Goshiki is genes, I know water temps and/or stress also influence beni but it think in your case it has to do with genes I've seen a water change cause this more common than most people think I once brought one back from a show and the beni had completely dissapiared in less than 72hrs.
      Thanks for the reply!

      In my web research since the Goshiki changed colors, I read a lot of advice from people saying that koi change color, and I get that. This just seems too sudden, and the color change looks sickly - more like rot or shedding. You mentioned stress, and that makes me wonder if this was not kicked off by the heron that took two of the other koi - including the koi this one grew up with. None of the fish have been the same since, but this one is the only one exhibiting any physical symptoms, and this happened immediately afterwards.

    10. #10
      BBlom is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      15
      Quote Originally Posted by graybird View Post
      It is a bit odd to have it change so quickly, but Goshiki can change quite a bit and are notorious for it. Do you have a nitrATe reading? Your KH is pretty low, does it always test at 5?
      Just got home and tested the Nitrates = 5.

    11. #11
      graybird's Avatar
      graybird is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      San Rafael, CA
      Posts
      1,687
      Unless there is actual shedding of mucus coat or fungusy stuff that I'm not seeing in the photo, I'm going to have to go with genetics. Your water parameters are stable and good, and the fish is eating and swimming normally. The only suggestion I would make is to remove the rocks on the pond bottom, as nothing good is beneath them. It is best to remove the fish to a temporary tank while you remove the rocks all at once, or if you want to leave the fish in, do one section at a time if that is more feasible. Hydrogen sulfide can be released during the removal process (it lurks in anaerobic muck under the rocks) and it is toxic to both fish and people. What is volume and depth of your pond?
      Mary

    12. #12
      kevin32's Avatar
      kevin32 is online now Supporting Member
      is chillin
       
      Feeling:
      Friendly
       
      Join Date
      Aug 2014
      Location
      Brentwood, ca up north
      Posts
      7,434
      I've had about 8 koi that were kohaku and became totally white or muji. I'd say alot comes down to the genetics. Warmer water can add to this but you addressed that..I'd say it comes down to genetics and I love goshiki but they often disappoint. I've had my share

    13. #13
      BBlom is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      15
      Quote Originally Posted by graybird View Post
      Unless there is actual shedding of mucus coat or fungusy stuff that I'm not seeing in the photo, I'm going to have to go with genetics. Your water parameters are stable and good, and the fish is eating and swimming normally. The only suggestion I would make is to remove the rocks on the pond bottom, as nothing good is beneath them. It is best to remove the fish to a temporary tank while you remove the rocks all at once, or if you want to leave the fish in, do one section at a time if that is more feasible. Hydrogen sulfide can be released during the removal process (it lurks in anaerobic muck under the rocks) and it is toxic to both fish and people. What is volume and depth of your pond?
      Thanks for the response! Well, it sounds like I am worrying for nothing...it's too bad, as that was a beautiful fish.

      We inherited this pond when we bought our hour five years ago, and I had never owned a pond or koi before. The pond was not in great shape, so I researched for about two years before finally rebuilding the pond myself. Unfortunately, rebuilt the pond with an under-gravel suction grid, so those rocks aren't going anywhere. The pond is 4' deep - approximately 2,500 gallons.

    14. #14
      BBlom is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jan 2015
      Location
      Colorado
      Posts
      15
      Quote Originally Posted by kevin32 View Post
      I've had about 8 koi that were kohaku and became totally white or muji. I'd say alot comes down to the genetics. Warmer water can add to this but you addressed that..I'd say it comes down to genetics and I love goshiki but they often disappoint. I've had my share
      Thanks for the response! I love the Goshiki, as well, and am very disappointed. Since it sounds like you have had a few, any advice on picking out one with "good genes" (without breaking the bank)? I have been buying two new one year olds every year, but sounds like I might have to go a touch older on a Goshiki? Not looking for show fish, but would be willing to get closer to a show quality Goshiki after this experience.

    15. #15
      Orlando is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      Location
      Orlando
      Posts
      372
      What preventive you have taken as far as the heron goes.

    16. #16
      thatupsguy's Avatar
      thatupsguy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      virginia beach va
      Posts
      69
      I had a similar situation with a one of my Koi sold to me as a Kohaku. Not sure if that's what she really was. Couple of pictures first one when I bought her in 2010 second in 2011 all yellow gone except spot on fins, third one 2013 she's turned int0 a beast and has beautiful skin and final picture 2016 she's a little over 3 feet now.Name:  20130702_074411.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  136.9 KBName:  DSC02128.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  54.7 KBName:  DSC02487.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  153.6 KBName:  Miss Piggy.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  163.0 KB

    17. #17
      thatupsguy's Avatar
      thatupsguy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      virginia beach va
      Posts
      69
      Quote Originally Posted by thatupsguy View Post
      I had a similar situation with a one of my Koi sold to me as a Kohaku. Not sure if that's what she really was. Couple of pictures first one when I bought her in 2010 second in 2011 all yellow gone except spot on fins, third one 2013 she's turned int0 a beast and has beautiful skin and final picture 2016 she's a little over 3 feet now.Name:  20130702_074411.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  136.9 KBName:  DSC02128.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  54.7 KBName:  DSC02487.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  153.6 KBName:  Miss Piggy.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  163.0 KB
      First 2 pictures are out of order

    18. #18
      OCkoiFan's Avatar
      OCkoiFan is online now Supporting Member
      is Don’t let yesterday use
      up too much of today
       
      Feeling:
      Cool
       
      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      3,363
      The koi looks much better like a platinum now
      M.Nguyen


    19. #19
      thatupsguy's Avatar
      thatupsguy is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.
       
      Feeling:
      ----
       
      Join Date
      Sep 2010
      Location
      virginia beach va
      Posts
      69
      I agree

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •