• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Shubunkin with very large ulcer/decaying type wounds

jshontz is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Shubunkin with very large ulcer/decaying type wounds

Greetings. While I have been lurking on this site for some time, this is my first post. I’ve looked through the Health Issues section but have not found anything that looks like my shubunkin’s issue.
      I built the pond last year and due to my own “new-pond cleanliness disorder” frequently used algaecides to keep it tidy. For the first few months, neither plants nor fish appeared to mind. However, shortly after one dose, one shubunkin developed very large bumps on his forehead. He has shown zero change in behavior, swimming or appetite. Towards late Fall, the lumps started “deflating” though certainly not shrinking. I frankly did not expect him to survive the winter. However Spring came and he was just as happy as ever. Over the last couple of months though his lumps appear to be eaten away like a cancer. Of course the fact that these lumps appeared after a algaecide dose could be coincidental.
      Attached is a picture. Any thoughts or suggestions on treatment? If he can be saved/fixed, I’d like to try but would rather not kill him while trying to save him either.
      Pond specifics: 1,800 gallons, 5,000 gph pump. 4 waterfalls (3 are approximately 26 inches wide), fifteen ft long stream over river rock, approximately 30 sq ft of active bog area, pond is very heavily planted with marginals, floating and submerged plants. All water parameters very good. Filters cleaned every other week. Bacteria added every week. NO algaecides used this year however monthly dose of pond enzymes for sludge build-up consumption. Fish load: 7 shubunkins (5-6 inches) added last year, 2 comets (7 inches) added this Spring and now probably 10, 2-inch babies.
      Thanks for any insight.
      Name:  Lumpy pic.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  43.7 KB

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I wonder if he was the lucky recipient of a heron strike and survived. With two spots, on on either side, near the top, it would be my guess, but that is all it is.

Sorry to see the first post being one of emergency nature. Stick around and participate on the rest of the forum.

It appears to have active infection exhibited by the red rim around the hole, though I may be looking at color rather than inflammation. If inflammation, then I would order some Tricide Neo, a dry form of a triple antibiotic, and apply as a dry powder mixed with some of the slime coat and covered with a layer of denture powder, or applied as a spray. Just prior to the treatment, clean the wound with hydrogen peroxide or iodine. I do the spray, mixing one fourth of the one gallon size packets with a quart of distilled water and placing in a spray bottle. This keeps the solution from being contaminated like it would be with the immersion treatment specified on the packet. Once treatment is done, put the remainder in the fridge for use the next day. Follow the time of treatment per package instructions.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Rich. While I don't know anything about fish health issues I am pretty certain this probably wasn't the result of an animal injury. The first signs of issues with Lumpy were lumps that just kept growing. They looked like blisters but showed no signs of problem with the scales or anything. The blisters kept growing and thought they might pop. However they began to flatten out but that is when they started to show the signs of decay.

Thanks for the other advice.

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      is Hot hot hot!!!!!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Tricide neo or injectable antibiotics would still be the best course of action. Those aren't pretty. How are the other fish doing?

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks nmtsaki. No other fish showed any signs of bumps when Lumpy first grew the bumps, nor have they ever since. All fish, including Lumpy, have eaten well, swam happily and have been very social. I took another picture to try and give a little better view.

Agree they are not pretty sores. I guess my question is am I better off leaving the fish alone and just see what nature does or attempt to administer the Tricide neo? If left to nature, is it a certainty that the fish will get worse and die? If I use the Tricide neo, is there a chance the wounds will actually heal?

Thanks again.
      Name:  Lumpy 2 pic.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  68.8 KB

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

What I see is healing skin over the wounds with no evidence of infection. The white covering the wound is new skin. I would leave it alone and let it heal. It may never look good, but treating the fish would potentially open that new skin exposing the underlying tissue to infection.

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

RichTB - thanks so much for the insight. REALLY appreciate it. We'll just see what Mother Nature has in store for Lumpy. Along the way, I'll just make sure that I do more frequent partial water changes and keeping the filter really clean. Thanks again.