• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All my hyacinth is dying, somebody said fungus

cindy is online now WWKC Vice President
      is God is good

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Roots are just rotted. No new growth
      My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

K.O.I.

Member: EIHIOICGI

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...nd-Information

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...06#post2606106 Show thread

matherfish is online now Supporting Member
      is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Cindy, your plants came from me, at least part of them, and I have nothing like that going on here, so it must be something there. Since you have a pot of healthy plants I would assume that whatever is going on is in that one pond. Carefully examine the plants to make sure there are no insects on or in the plants. Aphids and spider mites are bad about sucking the life out of plants when infected without treatment. There may be other insects besides these but these are two that do attack water hyacinths.
      If the roots are rotted and have not been eaten off, and if I could not determine insects as the culprit, I would suggest they have been inflicted with a disease. Are there other plants around the pond or in the pond that are being effected in a similar manor? The fact that being put into water with Miracle Grow did not make a difference tells me that it is not a matter of healthy plants whose roots have been eaten off by the fish. The Miracle Grow treatment works for that problem. When there is a lack of nutrients in the water the plant usually starts yellowing and then dying. The miracle Grow treatment works on the yellowing plant as well. If not other plants are showing infection, I would believe it to be insects.
      It may be too late, but I would cut the dead leaves off of the plants, and remove any rotted roots, and then spray them with a Safer soap dilution or my choice, a Dawn dishwashing detergent/cooking oil/water mix that I use to kill the aphids and then wash them off in thirty minutes. This should kill most insects on the plants.
      Good luck. Keep us informed.
      Sunfire Hardy Water Lily now available
      [/B]
      See my Pro Seller store on Koiphen[B]

TN Department of Agriculture Inspected and Certified
      for over 15 years!

“People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care”
      ― Zig Ziglar

is God is good

Feeling:
      Happy

I've rinsed the roots and pulled dead stuff off. I know your plants are healthy. No bugs, just rotted. Miracle Grow didn't help. Weird weather this year. 100 degrees early, almost all of my blackberries are toast too. Just gonna toss them.
      My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

K.O.I.

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

How big is the pond they are in? Is it in full sun? What about the small container that has hyacinths in it? Is it in full sun? I suppose the problem may be the heat. In a small shallow pond container the water could heat up and stay much warmer than normal. Hyacinths float on the top of the surface where temps are warmer than the bottom so they would be in the hottest part of the water. One of my wholesale customers have their plants in shallow, one foot deep black plastic Rubbermaid-like containers sitting in front of their store which is an all glass front. They had problems with one type of plant because the heat reflected off of the glass was heating up the containers excessively. The plants in years past have not had a problem handling the heat, but this year they could not. The consistently high temperatures have kept water temps higher. This may not be the answer to your problem, but it is a possibility.
      Tossing them is probably the best solution. If you have some "spares' from your other containers, you might put them in the same pond to see what happens.
      [/B]

for over 15 years!

― Zig Ziglar

is God is good

Feeling:
      Happy

Koi pond is 4 ft deep and 3000 gallons. Wakin pond is over 300. Rotted in both. Have some in a bucket away from the ponds and a couple pieces are ok. Full sun. It has to be a fungus. Nothing has changed from previous year where I was giving them away.

K.O.I.

is blessed

Feeling:
      Happy

Sure sounds like a fungus. Throw them in a garbage bag and tie it closed tightly. Put them in the garbage as far away as possible. Maybe the others will not contract it.
      [/B]

for over 15 years!

― Zig Ziglar

Corsetière is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Crap! I wonder if I should toss mine too? I rubbed a leaf and a rusty powder came off in my hand.

Corsetière is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

What the heck is this?! They are still blooming but the leaves look terrible!

CraigP is offline Senior Member
      is Needing No Insane Clown Posse

Feeling:
      Amused

If you have a magnifying glass, take a look. To me it looks like a mite infestation. The glass will make it easier to see the little vermin, if I am correct.
      "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." ~ Jimi Hendrix

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”― Stephen Hawking

"On entering this world our starting-point is ignorance. None, however, but idiots remain there."~ Horace Mann

Craig

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12