• Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help ! flukes

Teeup18 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Help ! flukes

I have 3 Koi. One was acting really weird . We knew something was wrong. I took him to the animal hospital. It was discovered he had flukes. He was given a shot and meds. I put pond salt in my pond. The doctor is coming back this week and treating him more. My water quality is perfect. Not sure how this happened. We have a net over the pond as well. Today he's still not doing well. Just staying still . Does anyone know how soon the meds actually work ? Will he be okay? We're also going to treat the pond incase the other 2 have it. Any help I would appreciate. Thanks

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

graybird is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Flukes are generally treated by dosing the pond with either praziquantal or flubendazole (trade name Fluke-M). I am not aware of any injections that are used. Do you know what was injected and what meds were given? Salt will not do anything for flukes, it is sometimes added to support osmotic regulation though.

To help you further, we would need to know: how many gallons in your pond, how old is it, how long have the fish been in it (any new additions?), exact numbers on your water quality tests (pH, KH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), how much salt did you put in, and what "weird" behavior did you observe before the fish was treated? What kind of filtration and aeration do you have?

There are two types of flukes: skin and gill. Both can be in either place. You will typically see "flashing" where the fish dives down and rubs its flank on the pond bottom, "flashing" the lighter scales on its side, then swims up. With a heavy gill infestation, they have trouble breathing, so extra air in the form of an air pump and airstone would help.
      Mary

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hi Thanks for your reply. The doctor injected Ceftazidme 200ml . He's going to do that 5 times every 72 hours.Also used Prazquantel. He also gave me 2 more doses to put in 7 days apart. He started to gasp for air and didn't want anything and would swim strange. The doctor did a scrape and found flukes. We have only 3 .They are 7 years old . I have lily pods and hyacinths in the pond. We got them all together 7 years ago . They always have been fine . The ammonia was 0 and the Ph was 8.0. We were told by the doctor and our pond guy to put 4.4 lbs of salt to calm them. We have almost 500 gallons of water with all rocks. I do have algae that is hard to get rid of cause our pond was made with rocks. The doctor is supposed to be coming over tomorrow. They were really wonderful at the Mt. laurel emergency hospital. Just want to know if you think she has a chance and when does the meds start working, thanks!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Ceftazidime (aka Fortaz) is an antibiotic. Does the affected koi have any ulcers or other infections? If not, I don't see any reason to inject antibiotics for a parasite infestation, but I'm not there looking at the situation.

Prazi is one of those meds that works for some but not for others. I personally have not had much success with it. Be sure to mix it with some vodka in a bucket to form a paste, then add pond water to dilute before adding to pond. I can't tell you how long it will take for the Prazi to take effect -- you should do a 25% water change before the next dose goes in, btw.

Supplemental air as described above would really help your fish. Gill flukes make it hard to breathe, and adding salt to the water makes it harder still.

Going forward, it would be doing your fish a favor to remove the rocks from at least the bottom of your pond -- it's like having a shag rug that never gets vacuumed, crud just builds up and multiplies. Normally we recommend a minimum pond size of 1000 gallons, with 500 gallons per koi above that, unless the koi are very small -- they do grow quite large!

Good luck and keep the questions coming.
      Mary

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Ceftazidime, sold under the brand names Fortaz, is an antibiotic useful for the treatment of bacterial infections.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have a water fall and I added an aerator as well for now . On my paperwork it does say 1000 gallon but with the rocks my pond guy says it's really around 500. I would send a picture but not sure how on this type of forum. Thanks for your advice with taking the rocks at bottom out. We will definitely do that. My koi are definitely large.

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Picture help and other things you might useful:

https://www.koiphen.com/forums/forumd...d-Forum-Useage

Check the list of "Sticky's"...
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I just found her under water upside down, belly up. I grabbed her to make her right. Now she is on an angle but on the correct side. What would have happened if I didn't turn her back over? Would she have died?

koi4u2c is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If you have a layer of rocks on the bottom of the pond, have they ever been cleaned and the sludge removed?
      Nancy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Yes we get the pond cleaned at the beginning of winter to winterize and at the beginning of spring when it starts to get warm. They remove the fish and do a good cleaning and change the water too. Then they slowly mix old water with the new so the fish are okay . I use the same guy for 7 years

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

There might be improvement. She actually is at the bottom of the pond .That's the first time I saw her swim and stay at bottom ��

richtoybox is offline Administrator
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

My experience with Prazi is that it takes a few days to see any significant improvement. The flukes are causing wounds and like with a scratch on you that has turned pink/red, it takes time for the immune system to repair the damage. The flukes, depending on type are live bearers or egg layers. The live flukes are easily killed within a short period of time, but the eggs are immune to treatment and have to hatch out, reason for weekly doses. I am guessing the flukes are probably not affecting the koi any longer, but the damage done could be some time repairing itself and if the fish is severely damaged, may not survive. That may be the reason for the use of antibiotics, the vet saw some serious infection.
      Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for everyone's advice! She's still alive��. Vet is coming tomorrow. I will ask him about all the information you provided!

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

First pf all thanks for sharing this experience and I hope you keep updating. Just curious how the interview went with the vet. Did the vet ask what you meant by “acting weird”? And what was your reply? What other questions were asked? I’m also curious how big the injected fish is and whether he was weighed.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://youtu.be/72iiuRXY2Wk

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The vet came over today. She weighs almost 10lbs. She hasn't eaten since Friday morning. She lost some of her bouyancy and is having a hard time staying balance. He checked the other fish too by scraping and clipped too. He checked under microscope. One had a fluke but mostly nothing serious. It's not gill fluke . So they're live and not laying eggs. He put in praziquantel. He gave her an antibiotic and steroid shot. He's coming back Friday to give her another shot. It doesn't look good but I'm still hopeful. Thanks for your concern . It means a lot. She's really very special.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I forgot to write that she definitely has a bacteria infection. Just not sure which one.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Sounds like you're in good hands -- keep us posted.
      Mary

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Sounds like he is getting the best treatment possible. Given some time these shots should do the trick.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://youtu.be/72iiuRXY2Wk

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you I'll keep you posted!

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have very sad news. The doctor was here and they did more test. She had other complications and felt it was best if we put her down . That even if they got under control the swim bladder she wouldn't have had a good quality of life. She was so special and gave us 7 wonderful years. Thanks everyone for your concern. You really helped me keep my spirits.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast