• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Building a pre-filter strainer basket - bright ideas required

Bill_Stock is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Building a pre-filter strainer basket - bright ideas required

I have a custom built filter that came with a plastic filter basket that is about 4 inches deep, with holes for the input pipe and clean out opposite. The filter basket has become cracked over the years and doesn't keep the dreaded spruce needles out of the macaroni (filter media) in any event. I'd like to replace it with some stainless steel mesh that is slightly finer. It can't be too fine or it would be a cleaning nightmare. I have the mesh, but I'm not too sure how to reliably join it? I can't see soldering being to effective or a good use of my time. I was thinking about 'sewing' the two pieces together and reinforcing it with some silicone caulking?

But realistically, I think I need a separate pre-filter. I don't have a lot of room, so I'd like something small, inexpensive, efficient and easy to clean. I would like a sieve, but they are quite large and the filter room is below ground, so the filter is pressurized. I do have a small pressurized vortex filter that I never used, it's a leaf basket on steroids. But it's kinda small, so I'm not sure how much it would help.

Any bright ideas?

Thanks

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

Bill_Stock is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Hmmmm, how about stacking a couple of layers of matala in the space where the filter basket now sits? Easy to clean, I have some and should keep the dreaded pine needles out. I realize cleaning will be more frequent, due to the small surface area.

I also have a few 30 gallon barrels with clamp on lids. I could stuff one of these with matala lengthwise to increase my surface area. If I vent this above the pond level, it would relieve the pressure on the barrel?

Thanks.

MCAsan is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You can DIY sieve examples on Youtube. .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQyE7Hsnlvw

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Stock View Post
      Hmmmm, how about stacking a couple of layers of matala in the space where the filter basket now sits? Easy to clean, I have some and should keep the dreaded pine needles out. I realize cleaning will be more frequent, due to the small surface area.

I also have a few 30 gallon barrels with clamp on lids. I could stuff one of these with matala lengthwise to increase my surface area. If I vent this above the pond level, it would relieve the pressure on the barrel?

Thanks.
      Do you have a picture or maybe can make a drawing how this is put together? I'm having a hard time envisioning
      how the prefilter sits in a pressure filter under pond level.
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007