• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Lots of green algee on the pond rocks but water is still How much algee is too much?

foothill999 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Lots of green algee on the pond rocks but water is still How much algee is too much?

Pretty new pond guessing about 3 months old .finally seems nearly cycled. But with this hot northern California weather and probally the spike in nitrates has came what I think is green string algee. I think it has actually been a good addition to the pond and at first it looked nice and natural and actually seemed to help the pond finish the cycle and balance out. The fish keep it pretty trimmed but near the skimmer (shallow end) it's starting to get about an inch long and increasing every day. How much algee is too much algee? Will it smother out the dark slimy "good bacteria" colonies that have started to populate the pond rocks. Should I brush the rocks a bit to keep it in check? Going to add another shade sail back up to see if that helps. Any advice appreciated. I dont mind the algee if it's ok and beneficial to the pond.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

davidjensen is offline Senior Member
      is needing more Koi

Feeling:
      Cool

Still water is not a good thing. Water movement is important to keep a high level of O2 in the water. The string algae in my pond is getting over 12 long
      Need more Koi

foothill999 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
      Still water is not a good thing. Water movement is important to keep a high level of O2 in the water. The string algae in my pond is getting over 12 long

The water looks still but that savio skimmer with 16" weir is pulling in alot of water but maybe only the top layer? Right on the other side of the bridge is a bottom drain and waterfall and 3 air stones. Lots of water movement.