• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Baby Koi, what to do with them?

jollyroger is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Baby Koi, what to do with them?

Hello everyone new and old members. This is Roger Bogart from Waltham Ma. I used to be very active here. I was friends with a lot of people. I hosted some pond parties and people came from far and wide.
      I have kept my pond active all this time but just lost interest in the pond forums.

With that said I need some info on what to do with about 100 baby Koi from last years spawn.
      I have some pretty good looking fish ranging from 1.5-4"
      I am going to keep 9-10 but what do I do with the rest?
      Thanks for your thoughts.
      Roger B
      AKA Jolly Roger

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Hi Roger and welcome back!
      I found your old username (Roger Bogart) and would like to merge your old and new accounts so
      let me know if that's okay and I'll get it done.

Thanks,
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you Steve.
      That would be cool.
      Would I be able to see all the old stuff? That would bring back a lot of memories (good and bad).

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is usually here but if not I'm
      probably off flying

Feeling:
      Piratey

Yes, you should. I'm not sure about the private messages though... the limits have changed so
      you can only have 500 max stored so let me know if you have trouble with that.
      --Steve
      Find more about Weather in Poulsbo, WA

"It is far better to be alone, than to be in bad company." --George Washington

ricshaw is offline Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Quote Originally Posted by jollyroger View Post
      With that said I need some info on what to do with about 100 baby Koi from last years spawn.
      Roger B
      AKA Jolly Roger
      Take them to a local independent pet store, that sells tropical fish, and see if they will trade them for store credit.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

All I have near by is Petco and Pet supply +. Neither of them are interested.
      Any one close to Waltham MA want some fish? LOL

cindy is offline WWKC Vice President
      is God is good

Feeling:
      Happy

Mt. Wash. KY - 7 miles outside Louisville
      Craigslist? Or Facebook has local market place pages.
      My opinions in ER and on this forum are mine only. Use my advice at your own discretion.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

K.O.I.

Member: EIHIOICGI

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...nd-Information

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...06#post2606106 Show thread

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

people vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better
      Quote Originally Posted by jollyroger View Post
      Hello everyone new and old members. This is Roger Bogart from Waltham Ma. I used to be very active here. I was friends with a lot of people. I hosted some pond parties and people came from far and wide.
      I have kept my pond active all this time but just lost interest in the pond forums.

Roger B
      AKA Jolly Roger
      You can euthanize them with clove oil.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

danzcool is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Benicia, CA, still on the bay so that it cools off nightly but far enough from the coast to be nice.
      I got rid of a lot that had spawned through koi club auctions and sale events. Craigslist worked also.
      Koiphen member since 05-13-2004
      This one time, at band camp....

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you all for your thoughts.
      I'll give Craigslist a try
      I only want to keep 9-10 and the rest must go one way or another. I hope it's not another.

profmsgem is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

I had excellent luck with privately owned pet stores. For example, in Birmingham, AL Ed's Pet World took babies. His site is here: http://edspetworld.org/exotic-pets-birmingham/ . You might try calling him to see if he would take them. His number is (205) 879-1331. He might. This would involve shipping them, but it may be worth it to save them and give them good homes. I will help you in any way that I can. I live about 20 minutes from the store.

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Hot hot hot!!!!!

Feeling:
      Awesome

The one thing on Craigslist, make sure you charge a minimum $5-$10 per fish, and make sure about the pond size the people buying are setting them up in. I don't know if you care or not, but I was able to get rid of 70+ fish up to 6"-8" by charging for them, and also from stopping them from going to 30 gallon patio ponds, or aquariums. I even had one guy call me twice, about 2 weeks later, saying he killed all his fish, could he get more. I said no they're all gone. I don't want to be the person who is sending them to their death. Another choice is this: at least in my koi group, several people, are starting up ponds, and they are without fish. I'm being asked to go on home visits to help set them up, and to make sure all the beginning water parameters are set. If you go to a local koi club (or a few, they could be fund raisers for these clubs). A few fish can help these groups help others. Again, it is a great idea to ensure that experience who are you keeping member oversees the transfer of the new fish to the new club member. We all have a learning curve, always great to have a mentor help you out in the beginning.

Just a few suggestions, hope they help,

Nancy

P.s. I may be in the same situation you are in our year, my greater than 30 inch KOI have signed yet again. I hope not that many survive, but I'm sure quite a few well…
      Last edited by nmtsaki; 1 Day Ago at 12:36 AM.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

DarkStar is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by nmtsaki View Post
      The one thing on Craigslist, make sure you charge a minimum $5-$10 per fish, and make sure about the pond size the people buying are setting them up in. I don't know if you care or not, but I was able to get rid of 70+ fish up to 6"-8" by charging for them, and also from stopping them from going to 30 gallon patio ponds, or aquariums. I even had one guy call me twice, about 2 weeks later, saying he killed all his fish, could he get more. I said no they're all gone. I don't want to be the person who is sending them to their death. Another choice is this: at least in my koi group, several people, are starting up ponds, and they are without fish. I'm being asked to go on home visits to help set them up, and to make sure all the beginning water parameters are set. If you go to a local koi club (or a few, they could be fund raisers for these clubs). A few fish can help these groups help others. Again, it is a great idea to ensure that experience who are you keeping member oversees the transfer of the new fish to the new club member. We all have a learning curve, always great to have a mentor help you out in the beginning.

Just a few suggestions, hope they help,

Nancy

P.s. I may be in the same situation you are in our year, my greater than 30 inch KOI have signed yet again. I hope not that many survive, but I'm sure quite a few well…
      Wow. Great suggestions! So nice to hear folks say things like that. Paying it forward. God bless you!
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Hot hot hot!!!!!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Thanks, I appreciate that!

I care about the animals that come into my care, and want to make sure they go to good homes. On the same side of the coin, I want to ensure the fish I am sending out are healthy also. I wouldn't send deformed fish or any, if there was an illness in my pond that I knew of.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
      Wow. Great suggestions! So nice to hear folks say things like that. Paying it forward. God bless you!

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

DarkStar is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Snaps to you for all you do! Keep on keeping on!

Quote Originally Posted by nmtsaki View Post
      Thanks, I appreciate that!

I care about the animals that come into my care, and want to make sure they go to good homes. On the same side of the coin, I want to ensure the fish I am sending out are healthy also. I wouldn't send deformed fish or any, if there was an illness in my pond that I knew of.
      That, in addition to what you said above about home visits, mentoring, etc. is what makes you special.

What I'm trying to say is, when a celebrity or rich person does something for a cause you thing wow! that's wonderful, that's great. But that's just it - there's fanfare, there's publicity, everyone gets involved, tax deductible, cut a check, no bother, yada, yada, yada.
      But then there's folks like you, caring, everyday people who extend themselves for others because they feel responsible or want another person to succeed, with no expectation of thanks or repayment for their contribution, time or efforts and they still give or help or care. Time when you could have been doing your chores, caring for your own fish, going to PTA, shopping for groceries, or the 50 other things you have to do that day. But you'll take time to help them too. Strangers who are buying a $15.00 fish. That's what gives me the warm fuzzies.

Random acts of kindness. Instant Karma. It's a very good thing. (I think I'm going to make that one of my tag lines!)
      Last edited by DarkStar; 2 Hours Ago at 04:47 AM.
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.