• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Spawning questions

My2butterflies is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Spawning questions

I didn’t want to intrude on anyone else’s post with my questions.

I was under the impression koi needed to be 3yrs old to reach sexual maturity. So you can imagine my surprise when I go out to check on my spawning fancy goldies only to see the platinum ogon we bought late last fall at 3” (now over a foot long) being chased by two other males we purchased last fall and two 3yr old males I’ve had since they were small. The two new males from last year are also over a foot. One was 16” when I measured last month.

The female is obviously laying eggs, but will those young males be able to fertilize the eggs?

I am in MN but the platinum female and the 16” male were kept inside in a heated tank over the winter. The male butterfly (bought last fall) was winter outside with the herd.

I was reading about “accumulated heat days” but didn’t know if that applies to males as well.

Another question, my platinum has slightly curled gills. She’s been like that since we bought her. Is this a trait that will be passed on to her spawn? Or is this from possible bad water conditions as a fry?

Here is a picture of the action
      Name:  55550F49-24C6-495F-8166-1FAACDE0ABAC.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  219.6 KB
      Here is the 16” male with her. He is the most aggressive of all the males. Name:  45B109F0-E907-4A48-8610-FFC98AF6BA17.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  169.5 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

I've seen that action lately!! Not a fun cleanup. My ammonia and NitrIte have spiked waaaaay up. I just came in from doing a water change and adding salt to protect against the nitrIte. I should have thought about that first, as opposed to saving eggs. Duh. Well, I added SAFE anyways, so it should be OK.

Now to your question(s) - I don't know anything about accumulated heat days, so can't answer that. Male koi reach sexual maturity at 2 years, female at 3, from what I've read. Note: your goldfish can also fertilize the koi eggs and vice versa, and you can get hybrids. As for the curled gills, it can be either or, it really depends on how she got them. Since your weren't there for her birth and early life, you won't know until you see some of her fry, and those that you can attribute solely to her (I'm guessing you have female Goldie's too).

My females were being chased by one of the "babies" from a previous spawn, that I couldn't catch on give away day. Thinking it's a male now, instead of a female. Again. Duh.

Good luck with the kids!!

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007