• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Potassium Permanganate and Bacterial Infection

veakoifarm is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Potassium Permanganate and Bacterial Infection

For koi bacterial infections (after treating for parasites) is the full 4 ppm needed to treat ulcers and mouth rot?

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I would recommend the use of either Tricide Neo as a topical, as a spray, or as a dip, or the use of Triple Antibiotic Ointment over the use of PP. I have used PP as a topical to cauterize and clean bacterial infections, but that was before knowing about the antibiotic approach. If the ulcers are large, then injectible antibiotics are better. For large ulcers, if there is any sign of dropsy or pineconing, then I have used high salt levels to help keep osmoregulation much less stressful on kidneys, using 0.8% salt, in a QT tank during healing.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Hot hot hot!!!!!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Welcome to the forum! I hope that when you have your issue resolved, you will stick around and reap many of the benefits that Koiphen has to offer. We have an excellent construction forum, a good main forum for general topics on everything Koi, and many other sub forms that you might be interested in. Of course our emergency and health section is one of the best in the nation.

I agree wholeheartedly with Rich. Unless you know what you're doing, you can do more harm than good. Potassium permanganate is an extremely dangerous chemical and you need to know exactly how many gallons you have, and exactly the amount of potassium permanganate to weigh out, not measure with a teaspoon. (Yes, some people think that a teaspoon equals 7 g, when it can range anywhere from 5 to 12 depending upon how you scoop). When and if you ever use potassium permanganate, you need to know that you should wear gloves because it will stain your skin (and clothing) , it is carcinogenic, highly flammable and it can also cause blindness if used on a windy day without goggles.

As for treating ulcers and mouth rot, if you have that severe of a bacterial infection, potassium permanganate is not going to take care of that, unless you use it in a way that's not recommended on this forum. I would get the tricide neo, because it's much more effective for targeting the bacterial infection at a localized site. PP just kills off any organics in the water.

Tricide Neo, or triple antibiotic ointment (as Rich suggested also) is much safer for you and your fish.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress. Before and after pictures are always appreciated.

- – Nancy

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy