• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: UV bypass during PP treatment FYI

hacnp is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Lightbulb UV bypass during PP treatment FYI

Yesterday, I was doing a PP treatment of my pond. I have always known that you should shut off UV lights during treatment but outright bypass of sealed units was not something I thought a lot about as my units are the 57 watt Savio skimmer units (old style with the quartz tubes). Anyway, before I treat I always review Rorak's primer on the subject although I am confident in my procedure, volume, measurements and precautions. In the past I have simply switched off my UV's and proceeded with treatment. The thing in Roark's primer that finally hit me yesterday was that you get a brown coating on the tube which reduces effective output after the treatment. I can and do easily wipe down the tubes after treatment but just wanted to put it out there as I have not seen this plainly stated in any other primer/instructions that I recall. Those with sealed units need to either bypass or clean the sleeve after treatment to insure that they work as well after treatment as before.
      Regards, Ken

The most powerful point of suction in the pond occurs at our checking account. It's all Marges fault!

achappelear is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

can the lights and sleeves not just be removed from the unit during treatment, and let the water just keep flowing through the empty unit?

stevek is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I'm not sure shutdown is absolutely necessary. I have used pp for a number of years now and have never shut down filters or UV. My quartz sleeves do not get any brown buildup.

GoldieGirl is online now Senior Member
      is a new CKK

Feeling:
      Friendly

Same here - have used weekly maintenance doses of PP for years, never turned off the UV, no buildup on the sleeves.
      What is the purpose of turning the lamps off? Does ultraviolet light have some kind of reaction with PP?

hacnp is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This is the only place I know of that Roark's info on PP is still on the web. Very useful IMO http://www.koiknowledge.com/faq-pota...manganate.html

This is the UV section copied and pasted,

Can I leave on my UVC during treatment?

You can, but you do not want to. The UVC emits very short wave UV light, and this will quickly neutralize the PP. This will result in a shortening of the period that PP will be active. In addition, you want to keep the UVC (enabled or disabled) entirely outside the treatment for the following reason: The manganese salts, a residual product of a KP-treatment (yes, that brown stuff), will form a thin film around the quartz tube of the UVC. This film will block the UV more than the normal organic substances in the pond, and that is why a UVC that has done tis job before a PP treatment, suddenly fails after treatment. So beside the filter, the UVC also should have a bypass.
      Last edited by hacnp; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:06 PM.
      Regards, Ken

The most powerful point of suction in the pond occurs at our checking account. It's all Marges fault!