• Tired

Thread: Seagull killing Koi

beastman_1103 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Seagull killing Koi

Hi

I have a huge seagull that is landing on my pond net and wandering around causing chaos. It has killied two Koi recently and im sure it will just keep coming back
      any ideas on how to get rid of for good - pond net is not working. I was thinking about buying a cargo net type net that wont hit the water when the seagull stands on it and keeping the other net. I have a trail camera setup and can see the seagul doing this at night as well as during the day. Its not eating the Koi just pecking them to death. Any help would be appreciated

ademink is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

Good morning! Is there any chance it’s a blue heron?

I have had similar issues with a heron..they are crafty. You have to suspend the net high enough that they can’t weigh it down and not so high that they can get under it. The cargo net sounds like it may be a viable option.
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

FRK is offline Supporting Member
      is On the home stretch

Feeling:
      Happy

There are some motion detector predator deturants available that spray water and can be affective. Here is an idea I have come up with that involves an "air dancer" connected to a motion detection switch. Air dancers and blowers can be purchased from this site https://www.lookourway.com/ . The blower could be activated through a motion detedtion switch.

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      is Hot hot hot!!!!!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Wow, I have tons of seagulls that fly over my pond, but have never had any land on the net. Of course, my net is 3 feet off of the ground, suspended on my aluminum fence that surrounds the pond. But, I've never seen it. I hope you find something soon. How about a cat or a dog?

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks All for the reply. Definately a seagull as ive just chased it again from walking on the net. I have a big dog and he does bark at them but hes not outside all the time and the seagull also visits at nightime. It isnt there to eat the fish, just seems to be eating the food but it has killed a couple of fish (find them decapidated but not eaten). Looking to see if any deterrants actually work, i have a fake owl but its useless. All i can think if is a net that doesnt sink into water.

DarkStar is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

You said "All i can think if is a net that doesnt sink into water." How big is your pond? If it's not too big you can pound some PVC into the ground with some elbows, connect more pipe to the elbows to create a suspension structure to hold the net up off the water over the pond.
      Find Something You Would Die For And Live for It.

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      is Hot hot hot!!!!!

Feeling:
      Awesome

In addition to a heavy duty net, it would be a good idea to cover a part of the pond with a shade sail, so the fish have somewhere to escape from the bird. I have a 1/4 of mine covered to keep them protected from the sun, as well as predator protection. This is my current set up, I have a 3 foot high aluminum fence over the pond that bird netting is suspended from. You can buy individual panels from places like lowes or Home Depot, or have a fence company come and install a custom fence. I hope you find a solution soon. Sorry it's sideways, but you get the idea.

Name:  IMG_0941.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  338.8 KB

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

people vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better
      Quote Originally Posted by beastman_1103 View Post
      Thanks All for the reply. Definately a seagull as ive just chased it again from walking on the net. I have a big dog and he does bark at them but hes not outside all the time and the seagull also visits at nightime. It isnt there to eat the fish, just seems to be eating the food but it has killed a couple of fish (find them decapidated but not eaten). Looking to see if any deterrants actually work, i have a fake owl but its useless. All i can think if is a net that doesnt sink into water.
      A rifle will work very well.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

Acekoi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Hello beastman_1103. We had this sort of problem when we lived in Australia, and now that we are in America, the issue is snakes . After a traumatic incident at our old house, we made a permanent solution and had no more problems. What we did was use a metal mesh sheet, like this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-1...panel_p3069916 . We spray painted it black in non toxic paints to suit our area, and then the work began! Using a piece like this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/dunnings...acket_p1076642 , we secured it to the pond. What we did was, drill one side to the pond, and use zipties to go through the bottom part of the L shape and secure the metal mesh. It was extremely sturdy, and we never had a problem with it in the four years we lived there. We even had a small child fall on it and it didn't break. If you are confused about the L shaped fitting thing and securing it, I'd be happy to answer any questions or draw a diagram for you. I hope this is helpful!!

Acekoi is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The gun laws in Australia and the U.K etc are very strict, unlike America, for example. A rifle is not a good option for Beastman_1103, as they live in Scotland. Don't mean to be rude- or controversial-, AceKoi.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

people vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better
      My mistake, shotguns are allowed.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

thanks All. Seagulls are also protected here so definately cant shoot them lol. I have bought a large cargo net and will use this alongside my smaller net. I have played some youtube audio clips when it lands near the pond and then it flies away, so may also purchase one of the audio deterrents. Once the net is up and it cant get to the water then i presume it will stop coming. Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by beastman_1103 View Post
      thanks All. Seagulls are also protected here so definately cant shoot them lol. I have bought a large cargo net and will use this alongside my smaller net. I have played some youtube audio clips when it lands near the pond and then it flies away, so may also purchase one of the audio deterrents. Once the net is up and it cant get to the water then i presume it will stop coming. Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.
      Wow, seagulls are just winged rats, I am surprised that they would be protected anywhere.

BWG is offline Senior Member
      is 999875421235621456478541.1

Feeling:
      Happy

cottagefog is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Is it possible to post the trail camera picture please.
      Last edited by cottagefog; 23 Hours Ago at 12:33 PM.