• Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Larger butterfly koi that has lost a large area of scales. Any ideas?

keithw is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Larger butterfly koi that has lost a large area of scales. Any ideas?

I have a well established outdoor natural pond. I've had it for over 15 years and have had no real fish issues over that time. I have a larger butterfly koi (about 10") that over the last week has lost a large area of scales around the middle section of his torso. I have posted some pictures of him below. Could this be disease/parasites or could this area have been rubbed off as part of spawning or some other action? I do have rocks and some plastic containers that the koi can hide in that he could easily be scraping up against although I have not seen him doing this. None of the other fish in the pond look to have any issues. I don't see any sores under the area that is missing scales. It is just smooth and white. He also doesn't seem to be acting as though he is impaired or sick in any way.

Koi Pond

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Any suggestions?

RichToyBox is offline Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I think I would look for a raccoon that is doing some fishing. That looks more like something has tried to grab hold than a scrape and definitely does not look like a parasite problem, or a bacterial infection, but keep an eye on it as it may get inflamed and ugly red, indicating a bacterial infection.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

inazuma28 is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I dont know, it looks fluffy and white which to me suggest columnaris (bacteria) or Saprolengia (fungus). I would consider both dirty water diseases. They seem to pop up a lot more frequently in systems with a lot of decaying organic matter such as "natural ponds". If it is either, you need to identify which it is using a microscope and treat it. Both have the potential to be fatal.

ademink is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is looking at revamping
      filtration...yet again.

Feeling:
      ----

It looks symmetrical on both sides. I wonder if a heron clamped it with its beak and lost it. Either way, watch for changes - as suggested above.
      Andrea

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      is Hot hot hot!!!!!

Feeling:
      Awesome

A better picture of the wound would be good. If you could pull the fish out and get a closeup, that would be ideal.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy