• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: I have lost 4 koi in a day

littlefishgal is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have lost 4 koi in a day

One this morning , two in the afternoon, and one now at night.
      All was fine yesterday . I have been using ammonia binder for the past few days to relieve their stress till my pond gets cycled . My pond was going through a new filter and .25 ammonia .
      They all died with virtually no sores or anything , but eyes were looking foggy . They seemed to come to the top for air but then some were laying at the bottom resting . They also refused food. I have two pumps running so plenty of circulation . It was almost 90 outside today . I had a bunch of lettuce in the pond and took them out because I thought it was too much oxygen being used .

The only thing I can think of is if I overdosed my pond of ammonia binder or if my neighbor that hates me poisoned my fish in the night .
      But if he poisoned them wouldn’t they all die at the same time ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by littlefishgal; 1 Week Ago at 02:38 PM.

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I have moved the thread to the Emergency and Health forum.

If there was no evidence of sores, then it was most likely due to a water issue. You stated that you are treating for 0.25 ammonia, but didn't give us any of the other water parameters. What is the KH, pH, nitrite, and the latest ammonia reading. Looking at pH which could be unstable due to a low KH could result in a pH crash, which will kill the bio bugs and potentially the fish. Looking at the ammonia, it can cause burns also, both of which would cause cloudy eye and damaged gills. Nitrites will combine with the red blood cells converting them to brown blood cells that do not carry oxygen, causing the fish to basically suffocate, even with good aeration. Please provide the rest of the test results.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

littlefishgal is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I panicked and drained my pond earlier tonight and moved them into a kiddie pool. The ammonia was .25 yesterday. Because I am new to this I didn’t think to sit around and test water and let them die...

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

people vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better
      Quote Originally Posted by littlefishgal View Post
      Wow, worst 4th of July ever
      One this morning , two in the afternoon, and one now at night.
      All was fine yesterday . I have been using ammonia binder for the past few days to relieve their stress till my pond gets cycled . My pond was going through a new filter and .25 ammonia .
      They all died with virtually no sores or anything , but eyes were looking foggy . They seemed to come to the top for air but then some were laying at the bottom resting . They also refused food. I have two pumps running so plenty of circulation . It was almost 90 today . I had a bunch of lettuce in the pond and took them out because I thought it was too much oxygen being used .

I’ve got them in a kiddie pool with a pump overnight since I’ve drained my whole pond but I don’t even know if they’ll make it through the night . This is so mysterious to me

The only thing I can think of is if I overdosed my pond of ammonia binder or if my neighbor that hates me poisoned my fish in the night .
      But if he poisoned them wouldn’t they all die at the same time ??

You have very hot weather, pumps for circulation really do very little to provide oxygen in the water, so they could just be suffocating if you don’t have an air pump. This is really common during hot weather.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

KoiRun is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Peters View Post
      You have very hot weather, pumps for circulation really do very little to provide oxygen in the water, so they could just be suffocating if you don’t have an air pump. This is really common during hot weather.
      Hi Russ, what kind of temperatures are we looking at for high temps to be stressful?
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

Russell Peters is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

people vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better
      Quote Originally Posted by KoiRun View Post
      Hi Russ, what kind of temperatures are we looking at for high temps to be stressful?
      It depends on quite a few things. Koi can suffocate at very low temperatures in small bodies of water.
      people like to vehemently defend their purchases and find it incredulous that anything could be better

MCAsan is online now Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

This is part of why we use air domes on bottom drains to rotate the water to the surface for gas exchange and also sweep debris to the bottom drains. Another key tool is the use wet/dry bio converters such as trickle towers, foam fractionators, or full tilt showers. Those types of bio converters can do aeration, nitrification (ammonia to nitrite to nitrate), and maybe some denitrification (nitrate to nitrogen gas). A fractionator can help remove dissolved organic compounds (DOC) that make foam. Any of these should help keep dissolved oxygen levels near saturation for the given temperature. As water warms, it's ability to hold dissolved oxygen drops off. So in the summer just we have an increase for more oxygen from growing koi and bacteria processing ammonia.....we have the decreasing ability of the water to deliver the needed O2. Aerate, aerate, aerate.