• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Strange koi behavior, probably non emergency

mplskoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Strange koi behavior, probably non emergency

Greetings all, as some of you know I can be a bit of a koi hypochondriac. Not sure if this is anything to worry about but I am leaving town for 3-4 days so I won't be around to manage things.
      4000 gallons, kh at about 120. Zero on ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Lots of air. Water temp at 78.8. RDF to shower and also submerged media.

I did a FMG and praziquantel treatment recently. And then one week later did a second praziquantel treatment. I had had a little flashing and wanted to make sure everyone was clean. First such treatment in a year.

A week has since passed. Appetite was suppressed during treatment but otherwise everyone has seemed fine. Now the last two days my fish are starting to want to hand very tight in one corner of the pond. Very near the surface and huddled up sometimes putting noses up as high into the corner as they can. They are active but stay right in that spot. No fins clamped. No flashing. No isolating. Skin looks great.

Any thoughts?
      I will be gone for a few hours and check back in before I leave town.
      Thanks.
      Ben

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

ademink is offline Senior Member~~Moderator
      is still doing this pond thing.

Feeling:
      ----

Any chance the temps have been high recently and that is the shady corner of the pond?
      Andrea
      Koi Health Care Committee Member

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The temps have definitely been high. This is not the most shady spot, but it is the calmest spot. It is right under my auto feeder and I have a ring there to keep the food from floating away. They seem to just not even want to leave that area.

graybird is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

How are they eating now after the initial appetite suppression? Is it possible that there is a pellet stuck in that corner that they might be going after? Or that there is some extra tasty algae in that spot? Do they normally gravitate to that place or is this out of the ordinary? My koi are usually munching or nosing around after something high up in my calmest corner, though they do it by twos and threes, not the whole herd unless it's time for the autofeeder to drop food.

In a less happy vein, any chance there has been pesticide spraying in your neighborhood that might have drifted? Or a predator that might have stopped by? Any possibility of chlorine/chloramine toxicity, as in an autofill going off? I worry that you describe them as "huddling," though I don't see anything objective to be concerned about.
      Mary

FRK is offline Supporting Member
      is On the home stretch

Feeling:
      Happy

How are your amonia and nitrate levels. Are you sure it was parisites making them flash? The behavior you describe sounds like they need more oxigen to me.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Mary,
      I have been wondering about toxicity of some pesticide spray. My neighbors know of my fish and use products very carefully, but this is a bad mosquito year and maybe the city is spraying something.
      I add water with a constant trickle and add Prime once a day based on that flow. I do dose a little generously. Right now I am adding about 180 gallons of fresh water per day and dosing for 200. Is it ok to dose a little heavy? I have actually worried that my generous dosing is the issue. I tried a different brand than Prime for a few days and it does coincide with this issue. I will have the kids add Prime while I am gone.
      FRK- ammonia and nitrate at zero. I have two air pumps running plus water goes thru a shower and I have a small waterfall.

edit to add, appetite is still weak. though they are eating what comes out of the auto fill before it gets to the skimmer. That is about 40% of their normal intake and if I throw any extra sinking food in, as I usually do, they are not coming for it like normal.
      Last edited by mplskoi; 07-04-2018 at 09:16 AM.

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

When it rains my koi gather near where it leaks under the cover. I’m thinking it’s the cool water they are attracted to; sort of like common carp running up river after it rains to spawn. So yeah pre- spawninng behaviour is my guess. Stop the trickle or change water flow directions temporarily and see what happens.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin

KoiRun on YouTube, latest video:
      https://youtu.be/72iiuRXY2Wk

graybird is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It's fine to dose your Prime on the heavy side. I generally use Safe or Chloram-X, and I always dose about 1-1/2 times recommendation. The only dose-related research I know of is on Ultimate, and fish can live in a tank of pure Ultimate, so no danger of OD there! What was the other dechlor that you added? If it was sodium thio and you have chloramine in your tap water, there may be ammonia amounts too small for your test to register but enough to stress your koi.

Your test numbers are good, and if there is no pinking up or other overt symptoms, I think you will be fine. It may be that the residual formalin in the water is bothering them, but your continual water changes should be taking care of that.
      Mary

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks Mary, it is good to know that generously dosing binder is ok. I can't remember the name of the other binder, I do know it is sodium thio though. There is no other symptoms other than their behavior. Skin looks great in fact. I am probably just being a worry wart again!

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007