• Tired

Thread: Black spots on wen Oranda

Kelvinator is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Black spots on wen Oranda

Hi:

My year-old Oranda has developed some fairly large black spots on his wen. On the left side of his head, part of the wen is actually sticking out and there is a large black mass behind it. This Oranda lives in an outdoor pond. He acts like he feels okay and eats regularly. What do you think these spots are and how I can I treat them? Thanks!Name:  Groucho #5.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  84.4 KBName:  Groucho #4.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  88.7 KBName:  Groucho #6.JPG
Views: 121
Size:  81.4 KB

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I really don't know for sure, but you can look here http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/d...#BLACK%20SPOTS where it indicates it could be burns from water quality issues, or here http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/d...m#black%20spot where it talks about a parasite that relies on snails as a host in the cycle and can be probematic, but getting rid of the snails will get rid of the parasite.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks, RichToyBox! I do have about 40 Japanese trap door snails to help with the algae problem, but I didn't realize that they could give parasites to the fish! They were about $3 apiece, so I hate to get rid of them, but if that is the only way to 86 the parasites, then I guess I'll have to. That has to be what the problem is, as my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are 0. Do you think the snails had the parasites when I bought them, or is it just something that they develop? How long after I get rid of the snails will the black spots on the fish start to go away? Thanks for your help!

RichToyBox is online now Administrator ~ WWKC BOD ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Awesome

I went to the puregold site which is excellent for diagnosing Goldfish. It states that the parasite is a metacercaria. When I look up metacercaria, I get https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremat...e_cycle_stages, which says that they are a form of flat worm, trematode, fluke. Looking up gill flukes, another form of Trematode, flat worm, I get http://www.fishvet.com/Flukes.htm. So based on this, it would appear that it is a form of fluke. Our standard treatment for flukes would be Prazi or Fluke-M, which should eradicate the flukes on the fish and swimming in the water, but because these are associated with snails, I would say that without removing the snails, you would end up having to treat on a regular basis, and the Prazi is not cheap.

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Zone 7 A/B
      Keep your words sweet. You never know when you may have to eat them.
      Richard

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks, RichToyBox! I found Praziquantel on Amazon for $55.00, 50g treats up to 5000 gallons. My pond is only 450 gallons, so this should last me awhile. Thanks for much for all your help!