• Tired

Thread: Dead Small Koi - Away from home

Geo90 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Dead Small Koi - Away from home

Hi,

I'm out the country (UK) and have been for the past month and will be for the foreseeable future. At the moment our Koi (which are 3 x 6-9" and 10 x 2-4") are in a temporary set-up whilst we complete our pond. They are in an Intex Pool and have been since October with a pump/filter running since then. The filter is way oversized for the pool and we are also feeding relatively lightly in the temp set-up. We had an air-pump running through winter which froze and I figured I didn't need to get it replaced because the pool is only about 800 gallons and the filter is returning from two outlets about 20-30 inches above the water level so the return is making quite a splash and the water is being turned over probably twice an hour, if not more.

Everything has been fine since they've been in temp set-up since October. No issues, illness or death. My parents who have been keeping the pool ticking over and feeding the fish (they are under strict instructions not to overfeed) informed me they found a small Koi dead behind the filter pipe and it looks to me like it's been there for at least a few days I'd guess due to the condition of it. All other Koi seem healthy and I had them do a small water change when they informed me of the dead Koi. I got a picture.

Can anyone see any signs of anything specific or a possible cause from the picture? (edit: I also can't even tell what variety of Koi it is...possibly looks like a Kohaku but it's hard to tell)

Thanks

Name:  IMG_4228.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  354.8 KB

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

rcmike is offline Supporting Member
      is Still learning every day!

Feeling:
      Embarrased

My first guess would be that it simply jumped out if it doesn't have a net over it.

Geo90 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by rcmike View Post
      My first guess would be that it simply jumped out if it doesn't have a net over it.
      Sorry, I didn't make it clear. It was found dead by the filter pipe inside the pool. My dad just had it there on the path to send me a picture, it didn't jump out.

graybird is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It looks to have been there for quite a while, and also to have been munched on. Make sure the temp vat is netted tightly. Are your parents able to do water tests? Was the filter completely cycled? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and KH would be very helpful. Might you have a club nearby? Members are often happy to go check on a situation for you.
      Mary

rcmike is offline Supporting Member
      is Still learning every day!

Feeling:
      Embarrased

Quote Originally Posted by Geo90 View Post
      Sorry, I didn't make it clear. It was found dead by the filter pipe inside the pool. My dad just had it there on the path to send me a picture, it didn't jump out.
      Oh ok. I was thinking it was pretty obvious that jumping out is what killed it.
      It would be pretty hard to diagnose what happened from the picture. Have they done water tests? Any flashing, sitting on the bottom, etc?

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

Any chance that it was sucked in the filter? Body looks decayed from time not necessarily eaten.
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

Geo90 is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

The net is on. The filter is cycled. I started feeding very lightly in the early spring and slowly increased as summer came around, but only 1 x a day feeding max. The net is pretty good but not foolproof and I am guessing if the only predator around here which is the Heron was to find the pool it would be a disaster but the location of the pool is pretty close to the house and I can't see a Heron turning up here but it's a possibility....that reminds me, I need to get them to do a count just incase it was a Heron and it left the dead one behind.

Filter is outside of the pool so there is nothing that could suck a fish in, the pump has a cage around it as well. I did think the body looked decayed and it looks like a while but not sure how long. Can't be more than two weeks though because I was back home for a day and didn't see anything. Only another thing is they've had a good two weeks now of 86f temps which is pretty hot for London but the other fish seem OK.

I'll get them to buy a testing kit for the water but if that comes back OK, then I guess it will just have to be put down as unknown especially with me being a four hour flight away. Thanks for your help anyway guys.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007