• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Chlormine-T how to neutralize?

Pondzilla is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Chlormine-T how to neutralize?

We have just treated with chloramine-T and neutralized it with Safe and it turns the water green, we have noticed this before when using bleach to clean QT after treatment. We have used both Safe & Ultimate and get the same green water. Our question is does the green mean there is still bleach or Chloramine-T in the water, if so do we add more to neutralize until the green is gone? We were not able to find any information,
      Thanks Terry & Ruth

audioenvy is online now Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've never heard it could be nuetralized with Safe and I've never had it turn my water green. Hopefully someone else can chime in who's had this experience.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for your reply.

It didn’t turn the water green until we added Safe/Ultimate.

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary ~
      Koi Health Care Committee Member
      is Hot hot hot!!!!!

Feeling:
      Awesome

Chloramine T can be compared to bleach, in that it is a disinfectant, and breaks down to hypochlorite (bleach powder) and chlorine. It can be neutralized most likely by the SAFE, although UV light can also be used. I would neutralize then rinse a lot. Dumping without neutralization can contaminate groundwater and/or other water sources.

An article of interest: https://animaldrugsatfda.fda.gov/ada.../downloadEA/81

MSDS: https://www.fishersci.com/shop/msdsp...tName=O1779250

"Our goal is to assist with emergency and Koi health issues, as well as educate on best practices. Please help us gain a clear picture by giving the original poster time to answer our questions before offering opinions and suggested treatments."

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member ~ Koi Health Care Committee Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I wonder, if perhaps, it's the treatment that is knocking back your bio bacteria which is causing an algae bloom?
      I've never done a Chloramine T treatment in my pond but have done dips. What is the protocol you are doing with it?
      Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

I'll say something when I feel I have something worth saying. I'm not a fan of flapping my lips just because they are there.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Marilyn you might be right, we thought maybe it was a chemical reaction causing the green water. We are treating in a 160 QT and removed the submerged cermedia while treating. That’s why we added the Safe after 3 days. We have some 5”-6” tosai that have some white/gray patches on their gills we are trying to treat, will the gills heal/repair themselves or does this cause permanent damage?

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I've only treated for bacterial gill disease a couple of times. Each time the gills regenerated completely but they weren't badly damaged going into it.
      I would think the extent of the damage might have something to do with it. OTOH, if the gills are that badly affected I suspect you might lose the koi before they would have a chance to regenerate.

I'll say something when I feel I have something worth saying. I'm not a fan of flapping my lips just because they are there.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      I've only treated for bacterial gill disease a couple of times. Each time the gills regenerated completely but they weren't badly damaged going into it.
      I would think the extent of the damage might have something to do with it. OTOH, if the gills are that badly affected I suspect you might lose the koi before they would have a chance to regenerate.
      Thanks for your onsite Marilyn.

Do you know if the cause of bacterial gill disease always starts with parasites or flukes, or is there something that can bring it on ?

Terry & Ruth

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Pondzilla View Post
      Thanks for your onsite Marilyn.

Do you know if the cause of bacterial gill disease always starts with parasites or flukes, or is there something that can bring it on ?

Terry & Ruth
      I wish I could answer that as an absolute but I'm afraid I can't. In my situation, one was in a qt and a new arrival so parasites may have been a factor. The second time was a koi in my pond and parasites were not an issue on her or the other koi.

If someone else has more information, I hope they share it.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
      I wish I could answer that as an absolute but I'm afraid I can't. In my situation, one was in a qt and a new arrival so parasites may have been a factor. The second time was a koi in my pond and parasites were not an issue on her or the other koi.
      Ok..it sounds like it’s about as clear as mud OTOH thanks so much for your help. It seems we’re always trying to figure these things out to try and avoid them and it sounds like many times there’s no absolutes. Just try to keep water as clean as possible and pay close attention to the koi and catch things before they get out of hand.

Thanks again
      Terry & Ruth

graybird is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

If I may, my sources say that bacterial gill disease is caused by the flavobacterium branchiophilum bacteria and is spread by water, occurring most often in overcrowded ponds with high ammonia and turbidity and low dissolved oxygen. I would imagine that any new fish coming in from less than stellar origins might bring it with them and spread it.
      Mary

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I was hoping you would.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by graybird View Post
      If I may, my sources say that bacterial gill disease is caused by the flavobacterium branchiophilum bacteria and is spread by water, occurring most often in overcrowded ponds with high ammonia and turbidity and low dissolved oxygen. I would imagine that any new fish coming in from less than stellar origins might bring it with them and spread it.
      Thank you for your response. This does make a lot of sence and might fit our situation. It’s interesting that it can spread. Do you know if chloramphin-t will kill it in the water ?

Thanks again,
      Terry & Ruth

graybird is offline Supporting Member ~ WWKC BOD ~
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

It should, yes. It's one of those situations where most koi will carry a certain amount of flaviobacterium, but it doesn't overwhelm their immune systems until the conditions are right, i.e. poor water quality.

Water changes a couple of times a week and extra aeration should help.
      Mary

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by graybird View Post
      It should, yes. It's one of those situations where most koi will carry a certain amount of flaviobacterium, but it doesn't overwhelm their immune systems until the conditions are right, i.e. poor water quality.

Water changes a couple of times a week and extra aeration should help.
      Ok...thanks so much for your information. Have a great day.