• Tired

Thread: Need some advice on folding my liner

headman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Need some advice on folding my liner

Hello everyone 😀

We are in the process of building our pond and I need some advice. We just put the liner in lastnight and that is where I’m having an issue. Our pond is an “L” shape (I’ll attack photo with dimensions and issue location) and we are having a issue with the fold on the L corner. I don’t want to cut and seal it ... I’m sure I’ll have an extra fold someplace but I can’t figure it out without having a big fold on the bottom. I have a bottom drain so I can’t have a fold on the bottom. Any ideas on how to fold this correctly? I real appreciate any advice 👍😀
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      Last edited by headman; 06-21-2018 at 06:14 PM.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

I’m clueless
      I did 3x on a square/rectangle but still terrible at the corners
      Good luck
      M.Nguyen

tbullard is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Been discussed here multiple times and building a liner pond with an L shape is always discouraged due to the issue. Generally it is recommended to use a custom made drop-in liner for L ponds but since you have already purchased this liner that may be a hard decision to make but you could probably still sell this one on craigslist if you haven't cut it.

If you can get the bottom flat and then add a few inches of water that will prevent you from messing up one side while working on the opposite side. Also you can use a piece of paper to practice your folds to find out what is possible.

FRK is offline Supporting Member
      is On the home stretch

Feeling:
      Happy

I copied this advice from a poster on another forum so I could post it here for you.

"you don't. You use fold the corners like "hospital corners" sheets. That means the excess is folded behind, not in front, of the liner along the walls. You can then take the exra step and use liner tape to seal the single vertical seam in each corner.

I put a foot of water in our pond to hold down the floor while I folded the corners. Once that was done, I sumped out the water and then cut in the bottom drain holes, TRP holes, and skimmer. After those cured for 24 hours, I filled the pond and cranked up the system."

rainblood is offline Assembler of Water Droplets
      is The Plantinator

Feeling:
      Piratey

Quote Originally Posted by FRK View Post
      I copied this advice from a poster on another forum so I could post it here for you.

"you don't. You use fold the corners like "hospital corners" sheets. That means the excess is folded behind, not in front, of the liner along the walls. You can then take the exra step and use liner tape to seal the single vertical seam in each corner.

I put a foot of water in our pond to hold down the floor while I folded the corners. Once that was done, I sumped out the water and then cut in the bottom drain holes, TRP holes, and skimmer. After those cured for 24 hours, I filled the pond and cranked up the system."
      That advice is likely for a square/rectangle pond. The L shape provides a whole new dimension of issues with folding a liner.
      I don't think that there is any nice way to fold the liner for an L pond.
      -Rain

:I CAN'T BRING THIS SHIP INTO TRTUGA ALL BY ME ONESIES, SAVVY?:

FRK is offline Supporting Member
      is On the home stretch

Feeling:
      Happy

That may be but I thought the idea of some liner tape to bind it down after what ever fold solution he comes up with might be a usefull tip.

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Agree with the liner tape. Also, once the pond is filled, whatever air is behind/under the liner gets squeezed out. If liner tape is used to hold down the edges, once it's filled and algae grows on it, you won't really notice. Most pros don't like liners, but every solution has its ups and downs. If you can, go see someone's liner pond, and they typically look and work just fine. I also agree with the other suggestion above, make a small model of your pond using cardboard or whatever, then place a paper sheet in it to work out how to minimize the folds.

headman is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thanks for the advice 👍 I thought about making a little model with cardboard and practice inside the house since it’s so blistering outside. I have been messing with it off and on but it’s difficult when your doing it solo 😂 I did get it a little better this morning and I will wait for my wife to mess around with it a little more. Here is the progress as of now. I won’t care if I get folders near the bottom of the wall ... as long and my bottom is flat for the bottom drain 👍
      Attached Images Attached Images   

wingrider is offline Senior Member
      is satisfied with his flow.

Feeling:
      Awesome

That doesn't look bad. Nice job so far.

onlycrimson is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Honestly, it looks pretty good.

• Remove Ads