• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Koi Jumping out of pond

HunterH is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Koi Jumping out of pond

My pond is an older plastic liner I have had for probably about 10 years and holds I believe around 125 gallons. I do not have it buried in the ground and it is filled up with about 3-4 inches from the top. Today I deiced I would go out and purchase some koi after setting up the water/filter for the koi a couple of days ago. After purchased one koi from a local dealer I acclimated them into the pond like I do my aquarium fish and everything was well. Later that day I decided to check out another dealer in my town and bought a butterfly koi and a shubunkin gold fish for my pond. When I came back home from the dealer I looked in the pond and did not see my fish. I thought maybe I wasn't seeing it because it likes to hide by the pump/fountain in my pond. Lifted it up and saw nothing... I looked on the ground right in front of the pond and there it was luckily still alive sitting on the ground. I put it back in the pond and it seems to be doing fine with the other fish. As a temporary precaution I decided to put a metal screen over the top of it (Old garden fence) just to be sure they don't jump out again. I guess my question is: is the a common thing with koi to jump out of a pond? and should I remove the metal screen after a while or leave it on permanently?

Also all of these fish are no bigger than 4 or 5 inches in length currently.

Thanks,

Hunter

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

OCkoiFan is offline Supporting Member
      is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

There are several reason why a koi jumps
      1. New pond/environment
      2. Bad water qualities
      3. Stress/scare

I recommend you buy a plastic net ASAP
      Because the metal could harm them if they decide to jump and may lead to infections
      This is just to answer your question why they like to jump

My koi never jump
      The only time one jumped out is when Edison cut my power for maintenance and now I have a backup generator
      M.Nguyen

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you so much for the info!

Im wondering if it is the new pond or the water quality of my pond. The water is newer but I put all of the chemicals I would have put in one of my aquariums and have never had any issues. I just ordered a pond net from amazon and hopefully that will slove the problem until the koi can get used to their new home.

is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by HunterH View Post

Im wondering if it is the new pond or the water quality of my pond. The water is newer but I put all of the chemicals I would have put in one of my aquariums and have never had any issues. I just ordered a pond net from amazon and hopefully that will slove the problem until the koi can get used to their new home.
      We can’t answer much but a few pictures of your setup would be nice
      Pump/filtration etcs

Mean time learn on water qualities
      Don’t add more fish please
      Here ya go
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...ive-Discussion
      M.Nguyen

icu2 is offline Administrator ~ WWKC President
      ~ WWKC Treasurer
      is sorry otters exist

Feeling:
      Annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by HunterH View Post

Welcome and thanks for joining Koiphen!

I think new koi in a new environment are normally stressed, so it hits on 2 of OC's list right away.
      To tell your water quality you need some simple drop test kits. One for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH (high range) and KH. All that is needed
      to treat new water if on city water is Prime or Safe. It'll protect them from excess ammonia and nitrites as well as treating for chloramine
      often found in municipal water. Test kits:

http://www.cascade-pond-supply.com/T...ng-sc-443.html
      --Steve

Koiphen 2021 Koi Person of the Year!

rcmike is offline Supporting Member
      is Still learning every day!

Feeling:
      Embarrased

If your pond is only 125 gal. I wouldn't put koi in it. They will quickly outgrow that.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by rcmike View Post
      If your pond is only 125 gal. I wouldn't put koi in it. They will quickly outgrow that.
      I am aware that koi get large and I have the means to create a much larger pond in the future. I also have many family members with large koi ponds that offered to hold them for me if they get to big before I build a larger pond.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Thank you for the information! I got the water tested at a local aquarium store and I have pond plants and filtration that should help keep the nitrate out of the water. I did use prime to treat the water when I first set the pond up and added a dose for the next few days. Prime has worked very well in my aquariums with some of my more expensive fish.

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I understand that koi grow to be very large fish. I have plans to create a much larger pond once they start out growing the pond they are in. I also have many friends and family members with large koi ponds that said they would be willing to hold my fish if they get to large until I finish setting up my new pond.

nmtsaki is offline Moderator ~ WWKC Secretary
      is hanging in there, waiting for
      warmer weather

Feeling:
      Awesome

Welcome to Koiphen, glad you have decided to come to the best place to learn about koi. If you're going to build a pond, you should check out the pond construction forum ( if you haven't already) and see all the fun stuff they have going on there.

If you do put your fish into a family member's pond, do yourself, and them a favor by reading up on quarantining and learning as much about that as you can BEFORE you put them into their pond, as you could wipe out all of their koi. Koi and goldfish carry many diseases that they spread to each other and that can prove deadly, especially if they don't have an immunity built up to the new guests' organisms. Not trying to be a pessimist, but being forewarned is forearmed; we see a lot of tragic results from the lack of proper quarantining (make sure there's a canary fish in there).

Good luck with your new adventure!

Nancy

Favorite Quotes:
      The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too. -- Samuel Butler.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. -- Edith Wharton.

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -- Gilda Radner

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement. -- Snoopy

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007

davidjensen is offline Senior Member
      is needing more Koi

Feeling:
      Cool

Your one Koi will outgrow your pond within one year. 12” Koi need about 200 gallons each, 18” koi need 300 gallons each.
      Need more Koi

kimini is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by OCkoiFan View Post
      ...The only time one jumped out is when Edison cut my power for maintenance and now I have a backup generator
      Funny you mention that. Just yesterday I was redoing the power to the pond and had turned everything off. About 20 minutes later, one of the koi jumped a surprising distance (thankfully straight up) out of the pond. Hadn't done that before.

is Mitchiesan-ninja’s
      feather rock

Feeling:
      Amused

Quote Originally Posted by kimini View Post
      Funny you mention that. Just yesterday I was redoing the power to the pond and had turned everything off. About 20 minutes later, one of the koi jumped a surprising distance (thankfully straight up) out of the pond. Hadn't done that before.
      Well the get spooked when everything is off and silent and sudden a sound at 3am
      And there goes my three hundred dollars koi
      https://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...a-please-judge
      Last edited by OCkoiFan; 06-17-2018 at 02:15 PM.
      M.Nguyen

claytonyu is offline Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Friendly

How many fish do you have? Because it depends whether or not 125 gallons is just enough or too little water and space for x amount of fish.

P.S. I thought plastic liners are supposed to be temporary ponds

Marilyn is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by OCkoiFan View Post
      There are several reason why a koi jumps
      1. New pond/environment
      2. Bad water qualities
      3. Stress/scare

I recommend you buy a plastic net ASAP
      Because the metal could harm them if they decide to jump and may lead to infections
      This is just to answer your question why they like to jump

My koi never jump
      The only time one jumped out is when Edison cut my power for maintenance and now I have a backup generator
      And they likely jumped when the power went out because the pH changed, lack of oxygen and perhaps ammonia build up from the filters not running.
      Glad you have a generator. Russ put one in for his building before the tanks were finished.

Still learning as I go but y'all can call me Marilyn

This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

I have 3 and its not one of the ones they store them in at like a petstore. They sell them at like Home Depot, Lowes, or whatever home improvement/construction store in your area.

• Remove Ads
        Advertising from Google
        Promoting Koi and Pond
        keeping since 2007