• Sneaky
  • Tired

Thread: Two new toys: underwater IP camera and koi kichi buffet feeder

bravetang8 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Two new toys: underwater IP camera and koi kichi buffet feeder

Over the past two months, I was able to get a underwater IP camera working for under $300. I'm not sure how well it'll last but so far, it has allowed me to check up on the koi at work and on vacation. If you want to do the same, you can follow my setup at your own risk- make sure to test for leaks rigorously before setting it up. Here's the setup:

Underwater IP Camera
      Name:  CameraZOOM-20180506183205742 (Small).jpg
Views: 215
Size:  381.9 KB
      The IP camera is a Dahua SD1A203T-GN (review here). Dahua OEMs for a lot of IP camera companies so their prices are cheaper and cameras are newer, but you have to buy from China and there's effectively no warranty. If you do get one, make sure to buy from Andy @ Empire Technology @EMPIRETECANDY, because he is a very trusted seller on ipcamtalk.com and has taken care of repairs and replacements for many members there. I chose the SD1A203T because it's varifocal, pan/tilt/zoom (PTZ), power-over-ethernet (PoE), has a 2MP starlight sensor for low light conditions, and has a small form factor; all important factors for a camera that would be difficult to adjust manually in an underwater housing.

Name:  81RBNtIUBJL._SL1500_ (Small).jpg
Views: 195
Size:  26.2 KB
      I housed the IP camera in a AmazonBasics Underwater Dome Port for GoPro HERO5. It's a 6 in. underwater dome port for "split level underwater photography", but is the right size to fit the IP camera. The gopro hero 5 housing also has enough space to stuff the extra cables (don't get the gopro hero 4 version because it doesn't have enough space).

Name:  CameraZOOM-20180506183318645 (Small).jpg
Views: 211
Size:  378.7 KB
      I drilled a hole in the polycarbonate housing, gradually increasing drill bit size starting from a pilot hole. I then added a PG-9 size cable gland to route the ethernet cable from the back.

Name:  51v8HUs4jkL._SL1000_ (Small).jpg
Views: 192
Size:  17.5 KB
      I then bought a projector stand and a gopro tripod mount to mount the dome and camera under my bridge. The dome sits partially submerged, with the gopro housing section and cables above the water surface.

Name:  CameraZOOM-20180506183401973 (Small).jpg
Views: 206
Size:  341.3 KB
      To fit the camera in the dome, the black plastic cover on the top should be removed by taking apart the camera enclosure. This is not pictured as the pictures are of a older version. I also took off the acrylic dome that came with the IP camera to fit it in the gopro dome. I stuffed the gopro housing area with fresh silica-gel packets to absorb any humidity and prevent condensation.

Name:  81b-XqdnR8L._SL1500_ (Small).jpg
Views: 194
Size:  67.8 KB
      I then dug a trench to route 150 ft of ethernet from the pond to the basement router. I highly recommend wired vs wireless IP cameras because wifi doesn't work properly when surrounded by water. I also bought a PoE injector to add power over ethernet.

I used a raspberry pi and FFMPEG to convert RTMP to RTSP for youtube. This is the line of code:
      ffmpeg -rtsp_transport tcp -i "[RTMP URL]" -pix_fmt + -c:v copy -c:a aac -af "aresample=async=1:first_pts=0" -f flv [RTSP URL]

Here is the live view of the IP camera of my mostly nisai pond. The live stream will be on and off depending on the time of day and when I'm playing with settings. Unfortunately, the koi have decided to become nocturnal and eat during the night so the view will probably be boring.

Koi Kichi Buffet
      Name:  preview-full-KKB_Copper_Vein_4.22.18_720x (Small).jpg
Views: 193
Size:  48.1 KB
      I also bought a koi kichi buffet feeder from John. For those who don't know, it is a on-demand feeder with a lure connected to a lever by a string, with a recently revised design based on a metal/plastic enclosure instead of wood. The koi pulls on the string to get their food. On-demand feeders allow us to mimic the natural carp feeding schedule, with smaller more often feedings.

I am very satisfied with its reliability so far. I think the feeder is especially useful between seasons, when the timing and feeding amounts change drastically from day to day depending on temperature. Right now, it is interesting to hear the fish eat between 10PM and 10AM. This aligns well with carp-fishing advice, where carp-fishing is often done at night during the summer when it is cooler. My only criticism at this point that I'm a bit wary of the use of thinner clear plastic as the main body because most plastic tends to become brittle under the sun's uv rays, but time will tell.

Last edited by bravetang8; 06-14-2018 at 03:31 PM.

ricshaw is online now Senior Member
      is who misses his Koi.

Feeling:
      Bemused

Smart Koi will learn how to empty a demand feeder fast.

Essex Koi is offline Senior Member
      is Is in Summer mode

Feeling:
      Happy

Love the cam.
      Main pond 4000 US Gallon, 22 Koi. Oase Proficlear Premium + Bio Module, Bitron 120 w UVC, Bakki Shower, Dura 7+ ashp. Grow on tank 600 Gallons with Eazypod Automatic and 70 litre K1 biochamber.

mplskoi is offline Supporting Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Love the set up. Thanks for sharing- I have been wanting to do something like this for quite some time. I have no tech expertise so maybe now I can do it.

The problem with live streaming your fish is that now at least one of us (me) has observed your fish flashing. At least two different fish have flashed more than once each.
      Will this concern you? What are you likely to do about it?

stephen is online now Koiphen Member
      WWKC Lifetime Charter Diamond Member #2
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Great Thread & Great Tool!

This allows you to see flashing, ulcers and other peculiar behavior that is often not noticed otherwise. It allows you to detect minor issue and correct them before they become nightmares.

As some of you may remember, 10 years ago I had 4 live streaming cams. They proved their weight in gold. By todays standards, they are antiques, low quality & more expensive than what is currently available. Great thread and great investment!

Link from 10 years ago http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...s-Just-Snapped
      Attached Images Attached Images    

bravetang8 is offline Junior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by mplskoi View Post
      Love the set up. Thanks for sharing- I have been wanting to do something like this for quite some time. I have no tech expertise so maybe now I can do it.

The problem with live streaming your fish is that now at least one of us (me) has observed your fish flashing. At least two different fish have flashed more than once each.
      Hahaha yes I was expecting comments about that. I've been trying to deal with the flashing since this winter, and kind of gave up. I've already tried 4 treatments of Praziquantel (25g each) in the food and water, multiple PP treatments and buffering the pH with baking soda. So far, nothing has changed with the flashing. I still think it's flukes, but I'm afraid to add too much more meds at this point. Of course, I'm open to suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
      This allows you to see flashing, ulcers and other peculiar behavior that is often not noticed otherwise. It allows you to detect minor issue and correct them before they become nightmares.

As some of you may remember, 10 years ago I had 4 live streaming cams. They proved their weight in gold. By todays standards, they are antiques, low quality & more expensive than what is currently available. Great thread and great investment!

Link from 10 years ago http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showth...s-Just-Snapped
      That thread actually inspired me to do the same, but those Lorex cameras are nearly impossible to find, and even with today's technology I couldn't find an affordable underwater IP camera, so I still had to do some DIY work. I'd guess that their rarity in the consumer market is due to liability issues with long-term use, because of things like corrosion, UV damage, and the potential for water damage.
      Last edited by bravetang8; 06-13-2018 at 10:18 PM.

KoiRun is offline Senior Member
      This user has no status.

Feeling:
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by mplskoi View Post

I have a cam. I watch my koi all the time through a cam, and they flash, some more than others, mostly around Jan and Feb. It used to drive me crazy. Now I consider it normal as nothing bad ever happens. Probably flukes from what I understand. I don't do anything about it. It self resolves.
      I guess it would be different wouldn't it if you didn't know what is normal for them and what is not. To me my koi behaviour is pretty much predictable. They would hang around the feeding area around feeding time. They would stay up swimming around at night if fed a late snack. They would sleep in if they don't expect any breakfast. If it was raining at night they would be up looking for worms. I have one fish that isolates himself at lower temps.
      Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. ---- Marthe Troly-Curtin